D&D 5E Enhancing "Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus"

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
This book is due to be released tomorrow, so in anticipation of the coming discussion, I'm starting the "enhancing" thread for it. I don't think we have Wiki threads in the new board format, so I guess this will need to be just a traditional discussion thread.

Post your modifications, remixes, resources, and tips for running Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus here!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I don't think we have Wiki threads in the new board format

Oh that's sad :(

Well if this thread takes off I'll make this an index post as before. I know I've found them useful resources (hopefully not the only one :) )

Index of Posts*
Pronunciation Guide
About the Adventure

Ch. 1: A Tale of Two Cities
Ch. 2: Elturel Has Fallen
Ch. 3: Avernus

Ch. 4: Sword of Zariel
Ch. 5: Escape from Avernus
Baldur's Gate Gazetteer
App. A: Diabolical Deals
App. B: Infernal War Machines
App. C: Magic Items
App. D: Creatures
App. E: Infernal Rapture Menus
App. F: Story Concept Art
App. G: Infernal Script
Maps

[Most recent indexed post: #16 ]

*These posts typically start discussions so don't forget to read relevant following posts!

If you're looking for reviews of Baldur’s Gate: Descent in to Avernus , you can find them here.

Last edited:

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
When I get the chance to DM this excellent adventure (hopefully not if I get the chance this time), when the PCs enter into Avernus I intend to have them arrive on a great plain with a huge iron-gate in the distance.

They are not within Hell as yet, merely on the Welcome Mat of Hell. They would need to travel through that iron-gate, on which would be inscribed, in nine dead languages, the following transcription:

'I am the way into the city of woe.
I am the way to a forsaken people.
I am the way into eternal sorrow.
Sacred justice moved my architect.
I was raised here by divine omnipotence, primordial love and ultimate intellect
Only those elements time cannot wear are beyond me,
and beyond time I stand.

Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here.'

As they travel through that great iron-gate, they'll feel a heaviness pulling at their feet and a seemingly great weight descending upon their body in a fleeting instant. This is the price of willingly entering the House of Tyranny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though Hell is a layer of order and conformity, distance within its Circles is subjective. Whenever the PCs blink, distances are warped and structures move closer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps not applying as much since the adventure is limited to Avernus, but if PCs descend further down the Circles of Perdition I intend to have them feel an increasing pressure, as if traveling down a great ocean trench. Standing within Nessus, without the adequate protective magics, will be akin to standing at the bottom of the deepest ocean trench.

Reynard

Legend
Reading through the first chapter I think I would get rid of the contrivance of the Flaming Fist pressing the PCs into service. Instead, I would have them specifically hired to track down Kreeg, who is rumored to not only be in Baldur's Gate but mixed up with Dead Three cultists. Their only clue is a not-to-be-trusted former pirate in the Elfsong Tavern.

I prefer the PCs to have a clear motivation to begin with. It will change over the course of play but it should encourage them to get on the plot train BG:DiA is selling. I dont mean that in a pejorative way either. Sometimes an adventure with a clear plot is totally fine. But if you pretend from the outset that the PCs have been cajoled into behaving a certain way, in my experience you are asking for trouble. It's easier instead to get them to agree to an initial goal and then dangle clear ways to achieve that goal in front of them.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Also, I wanted to mention that putting the enemies' standard attack spells in their Actions section of the stat block is super helpful. I dont know how long WotC has been doing this but kudos.
Sounds like the first time in 5e and, yes, that does sound handy.

Playing a lot of Dishonored and Dishonored 2 lately I will be remaining Baldur's Gate into a combination of Dunwall and Karnaca.
Along with all of that decadence and corruption and intrigue. And along with the level of technology and infestation.

Remove ads