D&D 5E Enhancing "Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus"

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Reading through the first chapter I think I would get rid of the contrivance of the Flaming Fist pressing the PCs into service. Instead, I would have them specifically hired to track down Kreeg, who is rumored to not only be in Baldur's Gate but mixed up with Dead Three cultists. Their only clue is a not-to-be-trusted former pirate in the Elfsong Tavern.

There are some hooks in the Baldur's Gate Gazeteer section that relate directly to the adventure. Hamhocks Slaughterhouse has been taken over by members of the Cult of the Dead Three so investigating there could lead the PCs to the bath house.

Alternatively, a cambion named Kaddrus is mentioned in the Hhune house entry that is investigating the disappearance of the Shielf of the Hidden Lord. Mixing in some hooks there could lead the PCs to go on an investigation that then leads them directly to Vanthampur Villa where the shield is being kept.

Both definitely require some fleshing out and creating new content to work. But I like that the option is there to make the initial city parts more of a sandbox.

Reynard

Legend
The dungeon crawling is a little bit of a slog so I cut the Bath House short and delivered the PCs the necessary information by way of a couple bumbling cultists (which allowed me to get my funny-voices on to boot). Despite running it on Fantasy grounds, I am going to pull back on using the grid. it just slows down play.

The Low lantern is next and I am going to truncate that, too, and make sure the PCs have info about the Shield and the Vanthampur Villa (as well as the missing Hell Rider agent I used as a plot hook in the first place). Because I let the PCs start off at 3rd and I am using milestone leveling, I am not worried about the XP.

I should look at that treasure they are not getting, though. I presume they will need magic weapons before they actually go into Avernus. Can anyone speak to that part of it?

The dungeon crawling is a little bit of a slog so I cut the Bath House short and delivered the PCs the necessary information by way of a couple bumbling cultists (which allowed me to get my funny-voices on to boot). Despite running it on Fantasy grounds, I am going to pull back on using the grid. it just slows down play.

The Low lantern is next and I am going to truncate that, too, and make sure the PCs have info about the Shield and the Vanthampur Villa (as well as the missing Hell Rider agent I used as a plot hook in the first place). Because I let the PCs start off at 3rd and I am using milestone leveling, I am not worried about the XP.

I should look at that treasure they are not getting, though. I presume they will need magic weapons before they actually go into Avernus. Can anyone speak to that part of it?

I actually liked the initial dungeon in the bath house...was quite flavorful, and I loved the cult of the dead three. They ran into the witch down there, and it would have been a TPK from the witch's fireball if it wasn't for the Red Dragonborn Paladin (the player is rping him like The Tick, and it is absolutely hilarious! "Ha! Ha! Tiny human...my stalwart companions and I thought that tickled turns around and looks at his roasted companions Oh...").

I am looking at a different approach to Candlekeep and the puzzle box. My idea is that Lady Vanthampur has been trying to open the box because it is a portal to Avernus, but hasn't figured it out yet. This module has a bit too much of the following the carrot on the stick for my tastes. Also, I am not sure I am going to use Lulu at all. My idea is to use the Shield as the party's guide...and I will also have it try to slowly corrupt the person using it.

Reynard

Legend
Also, I am not sure I am going to use Lulu at all. My idea is to use the Shield as the party's guide...and I will also have it try to slowly corrupt the person using it.

I don't do cutesy so I am thinking of making the character an imp or similar low powered fiend that is motivated to get Zuriel ousted and happens to know where her sword is hidden.

Question regarding ugency and motivations?
How are people grappling with time urgency in DIA? Throughout the crossing of Elturel there there are references to meteors, blasts of lighting, earthquakes, burning lava, and the city slowly being dragged into the styx. in the citadel there are 100-200 survivors clinging to hope of survival.
  • If its so urgent why is it still in that state for the players when they get back?
  • If I have successfully given them a sense of urgency (via dead refugees in the catacombs) why will the party go on a protracted road trip?
  • If there are only "100 survivors or so why save the city at all?" Nations would hardly put resources into saving a 100 popn hamlet from rampaging giants let alone an entire level of Hell?

My group have had an interesting experience with NPC followers. The party encountered the morose Vrock in Elturel and with a nat 20 persuasion roll the party Kenku convinced him to join them and move on with his life. I dont know where this will go but interesting to have both a Vrock and a Hollyphant in the same group.
<iframe title="5 - The Search for Ravenguard - Ch 2 Elturel has Fallen 2" height="122" width="100%" style="border: none;" scrolling="no" data-name="pb-iframe-player" src=""></iframe>

Last edited:

Advise request: how are people managing the abundance/availability of imp familiars. This is more generally a DND problem but more exacerbated in DIA. We have a warlock with an imp that whenever they go anywhere it starts with I send my familiar invisibly to fly through half a mile of dungeon to map it out.
I dont want to over correct with blast damage and frequent implausible familiar death, but not only are surprises fewer but any party scouts are obsolete as the warlocks just do it better.
I am leaning to the answer in that Zariel can listen in on any magical conversation so knows of any instruction given to the imp.
Would Zariel care?
Would she dispatch fiends to sort out this threat?
If the warlock/imp discuss Lulu Zariel would learn of her existence and presence on the plane.

JValeur

Explorer
Now, this is a shameless (ok, there's always at least a little smidge of shape, I blame my parents for raising me this way!) self-plug, but we've created some cool resources we think might help you enhance your Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus campaign. At the very least, it should shave hours of your preparation, provide you with dozens of full-color maps and other nifty resources.

It's not free, but you get a lot of bang for your buck:
  • Running Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus. 40+ pages of guides, suggestions and troubleshooting for all five chapters!
  • Magical Items, Monsters and Handouts. Outfit your players with the greatsword Redemption, pit them against a Hellwasp Queen, or let them read Thavis Kreeg's infernal contract for themselves.
  • Monster Stat Blocks. Nearly a hundred pages of monster stat blocks covering chapters 1-4, neatly arranged together on pages, so you don't have to flip through several books.
    DM's Cheatsheets. Neatly condensed notes of everything in Chapters 2 and 4 for easy use at the table. Also includes an Avernus Cheatsheet, summing up the entire nine hells on a single page!
  • 25+ Encounter Maps. More than two-dozen battlemaps in both DM's and player versions primed for virtual tabletops. Features both colorized and detailed versions of the official maps, as well as entirely new maps showing locations in Avernus.
  • Bonus Content (added after release at no cost!):
    • Enhanced Devils. New versions of the devils in the Monster Manual, providing them with more interesting and varied combat options without increasing their challenge rating!
    • A Cold Day in Hell. A 3-6 hour original adventure for a group of adventurers of 7th-level or higher, featuring frosty devils, infernal snowtoys and epic battles.

You can get the Complete DM's Bundle for Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus here, where you'll also find links to buy resources for individual chapters and products, if you're not interested in the whole package. And, if you just want some free stuff, ideas and inspiration, come visit us at Eventyr Games – we have a few free maps for Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus up already.

Alright, alright, that's it, I promise. I'll show myself out. Thanks for your time – and have fun in hell!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
We have a warlock with an imp that whenever they go anywhere it starts with "I send my familiar invisibly to fly through half a mile of dungeon to map it out."
I dont want to over correct with blast damage and frequent implausible familiar death ...
The devils have been dealing with this since the beginning of time. They know to
  • Dedicated guardians at the gate / bridge have permanent See Invisibility cast on them.
  • Patrol beings that can "follow their nose" not just eyes to detect things.
  • A patrol officer's familiar is a fiendish bat, or a "bloodhound", for examples.
  • Some of the chandeliers and lanterns are actually Lanterns of Revealing.
  • Some blatantly-magical traps cast Counterspell (Invisibility) on whatever triggered them.
  • Sure your familiar is invisible, but there was a chime hanging on the other side of the door and it tinkled when he opened it.
  • Cast Alarm on the shutters of a window, triggered when something opens them.

Use these lightly until the PCs try to sneak into a fortress. Really defend that place from their spying antics.

If the PCs pick up a recurring rival, (s)he should be more effective at messing with their plans / tactics than the average devil.

Talltomwright

Explorer
Now, this is a shameless (ok, there's always at least a little smidge of shape, I blame my parents for raising me this way!) self-plug, but we've created some cool resources we think might help you enhance your Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus campaign.

I'm just prepping for Session 1 of my BGDiA campaign, ready to start this Sunday, and already your Bundle has been super helpful - thank you!

Remove ads