• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Enhancing Vecna: Eve of Ruin *SPOILERS*

I think your assessment is off. That theoretical damage is just that, theoretical; it doesn't take into account the many features and magic items a high level party has for mitigating damage, improving AC, providing temp HP, or locking down a monster. The absolute pitiful damage he's doing with his Legendary Action and the fact that on average his attack only does around 30 damage IF it hits just isn't that impressive for a CR 24, Spyder-Fiends or no.

Level 13 party can drop Forcecage on the Spyder-Fiends OR Miska if they wanted to. That's just one out of dozens of spells that can invalidate most of the challenge in this encounter. It isn't tough.
His damage is in line with a CR 24. The party in the Adventure also has to go through a ton of Spyder-Fiends before they reach him they won’t be at full resources.

In the theoretical level 13 fight Miska can teleport. So Forcecage would not work very well

Not really. A couple death knights and some mirror monsters are not going to make a decent level 20 party sweat. Due to theme, the party also knows Necrotic damage is going to be at play, so it'll be even easier with the right spells or items.
Seriously- this is a level 20 party. They have class capstones at worst, or fully empowered multiclass builds at best.
Probably not, but they will waste resources and cause problems during the final battle.

Vecna on his own can be problematic to a level 20 party it’s been tested, the arena with the teleport doors that Vecna can ignore would make the fight pretty annoying if played well.

Clint_L

Legend
I like it. At least, I like the broad strokes. I've never run an entire pre-made campaign larger than Phandelver, so I need to make this my own.

Thus, I'll be heavily adapting it - I don't like having tons of inconsequential fights, so I'll removing most of them and beefing up the ones that matter. I'm moving the opening to Exandria and altering the plot substantially to fit into my ongoing campaign. Definitely moving the Planescape adventure to someplace else that I don't dislike. Similarly, I'll probably place the Dragonlance adventure someplace else (likely Forgotten Realms). Miska the spider-demon has to go because I think the name and concept are both silly so I can't be arsed to find a miniature for it. Actually, I'll probably be replacing at least half the mobs with ones I find more interesting.

And I'll definitely be using a version of Vecna with a fully slate of spells, not this silly teleporting assassin mockery of him. Probably go with the Critical Role version.

I like it. At least, I like the broad strokes. I've never run an entire pre-made campaign larger than Phandelver, so I need to make this my own.

Thus, I'll be heavily adapting it - I don't like having tons of inconsequential fights, so I'll removing most of them and beefing up the ones that matter. I'm moving the opening to Exandria and altering the plot substantially to fit into my ongoing campaign. Definitely moving the Planescape adventure to someplace else that I don't dislike. Similarly, I'll probably place the Dragonlance adventure someplace else (likely Forgotten Realms). Miska the spider-demon has to go because I think the name and concept are both silly so I can't be arsed to find a miniature for it. Actually, I'll probably be replacing at least half the mobs with ones I find more interesting.

And I'll definitely be using a version of Vecna with a fully slate of spells, not this silly teleporting assassin mockery of him. Probably go with the Critical Role version.
You could get Miska's actual mini
1716398070440.png

Also what do you mean removing the Planescape adventure. Do you mean the Nine Hells section?

dave2008

Legend
The witch queen stat block from Witchlight is pretty powerful. She could maze one PC and polymorph two into tortoises before she even takes her turn.
Right, but I believe the Iggwilv Witch Queen version is implied to be more powerful. I made one a few years back I just need to dust it off and update it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So, I don't own this and am unlikely to, but my brain kicked this out in the shower this morning anyway:

Maybe the answer to the traitor issue -- and it definitely would be off-putting to me as a player or DM -- is "Oops, All Traitors."

The reason the other Wizards Three don't figure out that something is up is that none of them are who they say they are, which also gets around the "wait, Tasha has something better to do with her time than the end of the world? And where are the rest of the big-deal wizards from Oerth and Faerun?"

If all three of them are villains working together, they can have come up with something to have distracted the heroic NPCs who might otherwise be involved and they also would be going along with the traitor's ruse.

I don't know how much the two non-traitors matter to the rest of the campaign, but just a thought.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Legend
You could get Miska's actual mini View attachment 364469

Also what do you mean removing the Planescape adventure. Do you mean the Nine Hells section?
I mean the Spelljammer section; my bad.

And I think that miniature, besides being way overpriced, looks ridiculous, so there's no way. It's just a dumb concept, IMO, and my players would laugh if I put that on the table, which is not what I'm going for. It looks like a five year old's suggestion: "...and, and there's a mean lady! With four arms and a trident, like the Devil! But instead of legs, she's go a whole spider body! And also two wolf bodies! And a dragon tail!"

There are a fair number of goofy creatures in this adventure - the spider dragon also comes to mind.

I have lots of way cooler looking BBEGs I can substitute.

I mean the Spelljammer section; my bad.

And I think that miniature, besides being way overpriced, looks ridiculous, so there's no way. It's just a dumb concept, IMO, and my players would laugh if I put that on the table, which is not what I'm going for. It looks like a five year old's suggestion: "...and, and there's a mean lady! With four arms and a trident, like the Devil! But instead of legs, she's go a whole spider body! And also two wolf bodies! And a dragon tail!"

There are a fair number of goofy creatures in this adventure - the spider dragon also comes to mind.

I have lots of way cooler looking BBEGs I can substitute.
Miska is a guy.

No accounting for taste, I think Miska looks awesome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads