Enlarge Spell on a Sorcerer

Turtlejay

First Post
Looking at sorcerer builds, and I have one right now with Blazing Starfall as an at-will.

At low Paragon it does something like 1d4+20 damage in an area. Enlarge spell would be awesome for this spell, since much of the damage is static, but for a Sorcerer to take it they need to invest 13's in two off-stats. Granted, Int at least boosts Arcana, but for a Wild Sorcerer 13's in Int (for the Wizard MC) and Wis (feat pre-req) are redundant with the Primary and Secondary stats of the class.

The question is then. . .is it worth it?

Jay

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Blazing Starfall is nothing special for a Wild sorcerer. For a Cosmic Sorcerer, the guy who ought to care about Blazing Starfall, the 13 Int is a fine investment.

Cheers, -- N

DracoSuave

First Post
It's certainly doable. You go Dragonborn Cosmic, with 16/14/13/13/12/8 as your array...

You'd even qualify for Destructive Wizardry at 11, giving you +2 damage when you hit more than one creature... making up for the damage loss.

DracoSuave

First Post
Blazing Starfall is nothing special for a Wild sorcerer. For a Cosmic Sorcerer, the guy who ought to care about Blazing Starfall, the 13 Int is a fine investment.

Cheers, -- N

It has the attack type "Area" when no other sorcerer power does.

That means it dodges cover and concealment, never mind the multi-targetting aspect.

'Nothing special' is a bit too dismissive--any at-will that deals 1d4+Charisma+(Dex or Str)+more+more+more damage that ignores concealment is something special.

Turtlejay

First Post
All very good points. I was looking at taking two feats (the names of which escape me), one which gives +1 to attacks until EONT if you hit multiple enemies with an at will, and one that gives +2 damage for the same. Taking the Paragon Path that came out with the White Lotus feats (acacemy master?) gives a similar +1 to attacks when you use an at will, meaning if you hit at least 2 guys with your opening shot, your next attack (a nice daily or encounter) is at +2 to hit and damage. Enlarge spell was more of a vessel to get more guys in the umbrella and hopefully get that to-hit bonus.

Blazing starfall, as Draco said, is really attractive to more than Cosmic Sorcerers, since it is an area attack with two damage types. It 's d4 damage die is not much of a hit against it. Enlarge spell can't make the die roll into a negative (can it?), meaning you go from 1-4 damage to 0-2 damage, a net loss of only 1.5 damage per hit.

Jay

DracoSuave

First Post
All very good points. I was looking at taking two feats (the names of which escape me), one which gives +1 to attacks until EONT if you hit multiple enemies with an at will, and one that gives +2 damage for the same. Taking the Paragon Path that came out with the White Lotus feats (acacemy master?) gives a similar +1 to attacks when you use an at will, meaning if you hit at least 2 guys with your opening shot, your next attack (a nice daily or encounter) is at +2 to hit and damage. Enlarge spell was more of a vessel to get more guys in the umbrella and hopefully get that to-hit bonus.

Blazing starfall, as Draco said, is really attractive to more than Cosmic Sorcerers, since it is an area attack with two damage types. It 's d4 damage die is not much of a hit against it. Enlarge spell can't make the die roll into a negative (can it?), meaning you go from 1-4 damage to 0-2 damage, a net loss of only 1.5 damage per hit.

Jay

It can, but who cares, a loss of two damage is a drop in the bucket when it clips an extra target, and it's voluntary.

Ask a ranger if giving up their Strength bonus on Twin-Strike is worth that extra attack... that's a lot more than two damage.

Remove ads