Ennies Ceremony: How should nominees dress?

How should Ennie Nominees dress for the ceremony?

• Formal

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Semi-Formal

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Casual-Work

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Casual

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Retro (80s, 70s, please post a response and why)

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Poll closed .

fusangite

First Post
There is no culture in which what you wear does not matter. Whether you are referring to the gamer subculture or North American society at large, people are carefully and often elaborately costumed most of the time. What you wear is an active, specific choice that is designed to deliver a message.

For various reasons, it has developed that the gamer uniform described above has been developed to send certain messages. These are, most commonly: (a) "I am a gamer" (b) "I wish to draw attention to the fact that I am not of average build" (c) "I do not value physical appearances and have a low opinion of those who do" (d) "I fear appearing to try and fail to present myself well" and (e) "I am not currently seeking a mate."

It seems to me that the messages we would want those attending the Ennies to send are things like (a) "this is a special occasion" (b) "I wish to honour those present" and (c) "gamers have the capacity to have a proper awards ceremony." Whatever clothes you choose, please try to think about what message you want to send and then select clothes that will send it.

Last edited:

Teflon Billy said:
As for the "doesn't affect the business" argument, If one person thinks you look like a lazy clown because you didn't bother to tidy yourself up for a special event, that's one person too many (and hiding behind "I won't be judged by my appearance"--while certainly a good example of High-School level iconoclasm--is in this day and age, in this culture, incorrect. You are judged by your apperance.)

We are all judged by our appearances, and I know it. In one of my past careers, I was one of three daily suit wearing, account executives who dealt with Bank presidents and VP's for a multi-million dollar financial corporation.

We're just discussing how much we're going to judge each other on appearances. That's why I voted casual. I'd rather the ceremony chose the least appearance-oriented choice. With such, if a person wants to dress up, they can. While if a person wants to just come as they are, they can as well. Neither person feels out of place for their appearance.

I guess the issue for me is whether or not we're going to promote the idea of judging people on their appearance as a group, or just let people do it on their own.

I'm not going to wear a tux, but come on! Baggy shorts, sandals w/socks and a crappy t-shirt is just a bad Idea in general. It (along with ponytail/goatee/trenchcoat/anime shirt in colder weather) is what people are talking about when they are talking about "Awful Gamer Stereotype".

I was just going to show up in what I happen to put on that day, which is my normal clothes. Now, I feel that, regardless of the results determined by Morrus, how I appear at the awards is an issue.

Again, for me, dressing up is a hassle I'd prefer to avoid. Its one more thing I have to consider, take care of, and bring on a long trip.

Anyway. It's a free country, dress as you will.

I'll dress the way that group concensous (or Morrus) decrees. Even if that means going out and buying a new suit or more appropriate clothes. But, for me and my experiences wearing nice clothing has very little to do with respect and more about looking how others expect you to look.

joe b.

Remove ads