D&D 5E Enough is Enough: WotC needs to add "domain spells" to *existing* sorcerer subclasses

The new UA is trying out the "domain" spells (2 specific free spells known of each level from 1st - 5th) for a sorcerer subclass. That's 10 more spells known to a class that many feel is sorely lacking in known spells.

My reaction to it is:

Yes! ...as long as you give it to the existing subclasses, such as the draconic and wild mage in the PHB, and all of the options in Xanathars. To just give it to a new sorcerer subclass, but not the existing ones, is to essentially admit that it is needed but to try to hold onto the principle of not changing existing classes at the expense of consistency and functionality.

A few months ago there was a UA with variant class features, some of which are pure extras. If they are going to do something like this, then they need to make a variant bonus feature for all sorcerers that gives them appropriate domain spells. The biggest word count will just be taken up by the need for there to be at least 5 lists for draconic bloodlines.

It just needs to be done. I get the desire to stick with the rules that have been out for years, but there needs to be an exception here.

Yeah, sorcerers need some bonus spells, if only to help push their flavor.

It might get tricky with the Dragonic Bloodline sorcerers, but as professional game designers, I think they could figure it out.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
The new UA is trying out the "domain" spells (2 specific free spells known of each level from 1st - 5th) for a sorcerer subclass.
The UA version of the Storm Sorcerer had bonus spells as well. Those spells were removed from the published version.

Also, the argument against giving Sorcerers extra spells is that they eventually end up with more prepared spells than a Wizard of the same level, which definitely steps on the Wizard's toes. I can understand giving Sorcerers 1 spell per spell level, but 2 is too many.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
If they are going to do something like this, then they need to make a variant bonus feature for all sorcerers that gives them appropriate domain spells

I totally agree. If they're going to offer things to other PHB classes, there is no reason why they couldnt' do it for the PHB sorcerers and Origin spells.
Yeah, sorcerers need some bonus spells, if only to help push their flavor.

Agree, even if it were only 1 per spell level and not 2 like we've seen the last couple of subclasses.
lv 1 chomatic orc
lv 2 dragon's breath
lv 3 elemental weapon or fly
lv 4 elemental bane
lv 5 dominate person

This is a great list. I fully agree on the first three. I think 4th and 5th maybe you tune it to each dragon/element type.

So a gold/red dragon origin at 4th could get Fire Shield. Cold version for the whites/silvers. While the Green could get something like hallucinatory terrain.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Also, the argument against giving Sorcerers extra spells is that they eventually end up with more prepared spells than a Wizard of the same level, which definitely steps on the Wizard's toes.

Does it though? Wizards can prepare their choice of spells from a great list every day and can ritual cast spells they don't even have prepared. The Sorcerers pick spells from an okay-ish list (unless Divine Soul) and get to change their spells out 1-at-a-time only upon level up. Wizards are SO much more versatile that I believe they would have the edge in this manner even if the Sorc got domain spells. Spontaneous Casting instead of Preparation Casting should feel like a tradeoff, not a burden.

Remove ads