• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EnWorld DM to Player ratio

Do you Play or DM (and which do you prefer)

• Yes, I am a DM most of the time

Votes: 246 72.8%
  • Yes, I am a player most of the time

Votes: 74 21.9%
  • I prefer to play

Votes: 111 32.8%
  • I prefer to DM

Votes: 138 40.8%

BSF

Explorer
For the past couple of years I split almost exactly 50/50. Not sure I would change it either, barring somehing really bad happening.

Hmm, if I had to drop one game, a lot would depend on the reasons for dropping. But I think maybe being a DM wins out.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I have DM'ed almost exclusively since 1982 (except for my 6 years away from the game, 1993-1998, when I did neither). I have also taken the past month or so off, but am getting ready to start DM'ing again. I can count on my fingers the number of times I have been on the player side of the screen spread throughout the past 23 or so years.

I would most definitely rather DM.

DM

DM JOE

First Post
I have been the DM of my group for the last 12 years and in that time I have played only a handful of games. So in the second part of the question I answered "would rather play",but now that I have given it a bit of thought I belive my answer was mostly due to the fact that I rarely get a chance to play.Well with that being said I perfer to DM for these reasons I enjoy playing the villain and I love monsters of all shapes and sizes.Also being able to do what you wish is not to bad either.

Fieari

Explorer
I DM and prefer it. This way, I don't get to just play one character, but an entire world. I love it, quite frankly. Playing entire cities, civilizations, histories, superpowers, waifs in the gutter, all at the same time... love it so much. I get antsy when I'm a player. I want to tinker.

d10

First Post
I DM...all...the...time. LOL,I guess I kinda deserve it though. All my players were taught by me. I honestly can't wait till one of them decides to see what its like on the side of the table. 4+ Years of DM'ing is starting to drain my creative drive. ; ;

Will :p

Razz0putin

Explorer
currently I'm more player than Gm but shortly before we started Mutants and Masterminds I was the Gm for two different group and soon I will be again. So I voted player and Gm.

Remove ads