Epic Fighter is Epic

That One Guy

First Post
Godlike Stature (24th level): Your size doesn’t change, but your height and weight increase to 25 percent and 100 percent above the normal range for your race, respectively. You can wield weapons as if you were one size larger, and if you are normally Medium or larger, your melee reach increases by 1 square.
Point me to the thread that is discussing this, please.

Baumi

Adventurer
Yes he is epic ;)

What is surprising to me is that I haven't seen any power that helps him to avoid death...

Also while the Godlike Stature is great, his Utility looks quite weak, especially if you already have the Hammerfeat or Reaping Strike (or does it stack?).

Larrin

Entropic Good
I like this destiny for the most part
1) you get stronger, and can do an impressive feat of strength (+10) every now and again
2) you get the oversized weapon ability, and increased reach

BUT...

1)No death avoidance

2)the utility is epic lame. Basically 8-10 damage on a miss (and seems to actually negate hammer rythym(misses now deal damage), but would apply to/stack with cases where miss=half damage, reaping strike, etc as far as i can tell). Not interesting, not epic. I'm not saying its a bad stance, its just not an epic destiny stance, IMO. He deserves better, something that actually helps out his eternal defenderishness or something.

Shroomy

Adventurer
At first glance, I thought that the Implacable Destruction stance was kind of on the weak side (and maybe mathematical analysis, which is admittedly not my strong suit, will prove that it is), but upon further reflection, we may be selling it short since it applies to every missed melee or close weapon attack, without regard to weapon type, feat selection, power selection, etc., etc. If I've learned anything from playing and reading about 4e, it is that the more damage you can squeeze out of the system, the generally better off you'll be. With this in mind, at least 7-10 points of guaranteed damage per attack seems like a nice boost.

Cadfan

First Post
Implacable Destruction is good in terms of increasing his damage. At level 24 you're going to have a strength of 28 if you started with an 18. Doing 9 damage on every miss is the same as receiving +9 to damage when you're hitting 50% of the time.

The problem is that many fighters use Reaping Strike, or use Hammer Rhythm. If you've already got Hammer Rhythm, this power suddenly becomes much less useful.

FireLance

Legend
Implacable Destruction is good in terms of increasing his damage. At level 24 you're going to have a strength of 28 if you started with an 18. Doing 9 damage on every miss is the same as receiving +9 to damage when you're hitting 50% of the time.

The problem is that many fighters use Reaping Strike, or use Hammer Rhythm. If you've already got Hammer Rhythm, this power suddenly becomes much less useful.
I'm guessing there will be alternative at-wills and feats in Martial Power so you can change out Reaping Strike or Hammer Rhythm if you already have them.

Cadfan

First Post
There are. We already know what they are, but we only have clues to what they do. They're listed in the Gladiator article that released Friday, but the only clues we have are from the ways the power modifying feats affect the various powers.

The problem is, the stance works once per day. And I like Reaping Strike. And my Fighter wields a hammer. So... Its not that big of a deal, its just that all of these abilities don't stack, so it feels a little awkward to me. I'll probably end up using Hammer Rhythm, retraining Reaping Strike, and picking a different Epic Destiny.

Shroomy

Adventurer

But Reaping Strike only does half Strength modifier damage on a miss unless you are using a two-handed weapon, so using Implacable Destruction at the same time is either better or a complete wash (in terms of damage inflicted by a standard action, it still would be better for opportunity attacks). Hammer Rhythm only works with a mace or hammer, only inflicts Constitution modifier damage on a miss (its a good bet that for a fighter, that should be slightly less than their Strength modifier), and doesn't work with close weapon attacks (which also applies to Reaping Strike). For extra damage on a miss, Implacable Destruction looks like the superior option. However, since it is a daily, having it and reaping strike and/or hammer rhythm is not a waste IMO.

Cadfan

First Post
Its not a waste, its just not as good as it could be. If you're a hammer wielding fighter, you basically don't want this power, because the odds are that your strength and your constitution are going to be about 2 or 3 apart, at most.

Drakhar

First Post
Ok I get it not working with Hammer Rhythm, but wouldn't it do 1.5x or 2x Strength modifier damage with Reaping Strike? Not to mention any half damage on miss attacks get more of a damage boost as well.

Remove ads