D&D 5E Epic Level 1?!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
even those were not really treadmills.

at level 1 you would fight 2 level 2 orcs and 1 level 5 orc
at levels 2-7 you would continue in some version of more low level or double up the level 5.

around level 8 you could fight 16 (4x4) orc minions that were scaled to level 8 but one hit kill and had a simplfied version of that level 2 orc... so you were not treadmilling you went from a long drawn out battle against 2 level 2 and 1 level 5 that might even kill a PC to walking through 16 similar to that level 2 as if they were cardboard (1 hit 1 kill)
later at level 12 you might face 2 level 5 and 1 level 10 orc or you might face an elite level 12 orc with 18 of those level 8 minnions with them...

again it isn't a treadmill you got better. you are doing more. you are accomplishing more.
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

d24454_modern

Explorer
1 in 10 people your PCs run into are 19+ level even at level 1!?! what... man I guess that barmaide was once an adventurer until she retired to serve drinks... I will admit I would not mess with your town guard... even at 20th level with 5 epic boons and 3 artifacts a town guard of 25 NPCs will have 2-3 19+ character that may be able to wish me dead...
I like playing Digimon World and Xenoblade Chronicles, so this something I look forward to.

Besides, not everything has to be solved by combat.

Remove ads