D&D 5E Epic Monsters: Seraph

Not all celestial creatures are pretty faces and today on Epic Monsters we’re cracking into one of the weirder ones: the six-winged seraph!

Seraph DnD 5e BANNER.jpg

Also known as a saraph, in Christian angelology the seraphim have the highest rank, they’re in the middle in Judaism, and only rarely appear in Islam. These six-winged angels fly around the Throne of God crying "holy, holy, holy" in a cycle of self-nullification as they ascend to the heights of the heavens for revelations, fall in the immensity of what they learn, and ascend anew in a perpetual, tireless, energetic existence.

Design Notes: These are pretty freaky and hard not to like. There’s an emphasis on their quickness in the lore so the seraph here has extra reactions for Uncanny Dodges and a high AC without need for natural armor (technically a 17 when you count in Magic Resistance). Otherwise to represent the whole knowledge of god’s immensity bit we’re hanging their proverbial hat on some Intelligence-boosted Divine Knowledge, frequent uses of commune, and when that fails component-less legend lore. Let’s do the numbers! The DMG comes in at an even 12 and the Blog of Holding at 12.6, so we can tag this agile angel at Challenge Rating 12 albeit with a touch of trepidation—this one is definitely a sleeper in the stats department.

Seraph

Large celestial, lawful good
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 133 (14d10+56)
Speed 20 ft., fly 120 ft.
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
14 (+2)​
20 (+5)​
19 (+4)​
17 (+3)​
14 (+2)​
15 (+2)​
Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +8, Wis +6
Skills Perception +6, Religion +7
Damage Vulnerabilities psychic
Damage Resistances cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities fire
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Celestial
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)

Angelic Weapons. The seraph’s weapon attacks are magical. When the seraph hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 10 (3d6) radiant damage (included in the attack).

Divine Knowledge. The seraph adds its proficiency bonus (+4) to and has advantage on Intelligence checks.

Flyby. The seraph doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.

Innate Spellcasting. The seraph’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence. The seraph can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: commune, detect good and evil
3/day each: legend lore

Magic Resistance. The seraph has advantage on saving throws made against spells and other magical effects.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The seraph attacks three times with its wings.

Wings. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8+5) bludgeoning damage plus 10 (3d6) radiant damage.

REACTIONS
Fast Reactions. The seraph can take 3 reactions each round, but never more than one reaction against the same creature.

Holy Rending. When the seraph hits the same target with a second or third wing attack on its turn, it can use its reaction to deal an extra 14 (4d6) force damage. The target makes a DC 15 Strength saving throw or it is knocked prone.

Uncanny Dodge. When an attacker the seraph can see hits it with an attack, it can use its reaction to halve the attack’s damage against it.

Last edited:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Quartz

Hero
You know, in that picture, the wings coming together look very much like a pair of shears. Or a shield (in the fan dance sense).

You have the shield effect covered with Uncanny Dodge but for the other, how about if two wings hit something special happens? Additional damage seems a little bland and a vorpal effect a little too unfun.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
You know, in that picture, the wings coming together look very much like a pair of shears. Or a shield (in the fan dance sense).

You have the shield effect covered with Uncanny Dodge but for the other, how about if two wings hit something special happens? Additional damage seems a little bland and a vorpal effect a little too unfun.
I was expecting them to be more powerful tbh
There's not a lot of wiggle room on this one—any more AC, attack, or damage bonus will throw it out of balance—but we can shift some stuff around instead. Dropped the wing attacks down to three and added:

Holy Rending. When the seraph hits the same target with a second or third wing attack on its turn, it can use its reaction to deal an extra 14 (4d6) force damage. The target makes a DC 15 Strength saving throw or it is knocked prone.

^^ should make them more interesting in play ("do I use one or both of its reactions for extra damage or save them to avoid the hurt next round?")

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I am not sure what you mean by this, I was definitely able to make my Seraphim more powerful as @DariusArgent suggested it might be. There is plenty of wiggle room, if you want there to be.
Aye I'm trying to keep these on the lower end so we're in the sweet spot of play (material accessible to characters between 5th and 12th level) because something weaker will see more use at the table—I'd go with an even lower CR if the charts weren't in agreement on 12. Still disappointed I can't bring that Dexterity up to something higher (like 24?) but take consolation in its absurd fly speed.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases