D&D 5E Equipment posted~ pics

JC99

Explorer
I really like that these aren't labeled. This way it's "here's some ideas of what your weapons might look like" instead of "this is what your weapons look like"

Mercurius

Legend
Wow, beautiful drawings - love it.

I spend a lot of time wandering around armouries, and I think all of those (apart from perhaps the double bladed axe) would fit in a actual weapon collection without looking out-of-place.

The first sword, or second weapon from the top, has a terrible guard - no protection whatsoever. But it looks cool!

jadrax

Adventurer
The first sword, or second weapon from the top, has a terrible guard - no protection whatsoever. But it looks cool!

Possibly. I would want to see it in three dimensions to be honest, I think the curly bits are actually coming out and pointing towards us rather than being flat. Which is unusual, but I am pretty sure I have seen something similar.

Anselyn

Explorer
I agree that the illustrations are very nice. Also, the rules seem clear and to the point. However, my inner pedant finds the use of the verb "to fire" rather grating.

Also, it only now dawns on me that abolition of grids and squares means we have to deal with these odd foot/feet things. I suppose it help with the archaic feel. It would be nice if the money converted to pounds, shillings and pence like with WFRP.

I spend a lot of time wandering around armouries, and I think all of those (apart from perhaps the double bladed axe) would fit in a actual weapon collection without looking out-of-place.

Wow, I couldn't agree less (except on a couple). These weapons are not remotely realistic, imo for actual fighting-weapons, rather than show weapons. I mean, let's go through them:

1) This would be impossible to repair once it got dented out of shape from hitting something, and hard as hell to forge as an actual mace in the first place.

2) Spikey-shiz pointing back at the hand will make it hard to draw and handle - blade is extremely thick, but the grip is extremely thin, and it seems to be double-edged even through the grip-setup is for a single-edged blade.

3) Looks very overwrought in an unrealistic way. I've seen some complex grips and hilts and so on,but this just looks cheesy and "lazy fantasy" to me. Again extremely wide blade for the hilt. Not as bad as 2, though.

4) Almost fine, but again with the overwrought spikey stuff pointing at the hand that will be grabbing it.

Problem common to ALL of them so far is that these look like extremely expensive weapons, not the sort of weapons starting adventurers should have.

5) Ridiculously short hilt if this is in scale. Giant cheesy fantasy-gem and completely ineffectual and expensive-looking hilt. What is this, a toy sword for a princeling? The weapon of a halfling pimp with bad taste and small hands even for a halfling?

6) Yeah, okay, I guess, no particularly huge problems here. Looks expensive, but like you say, I've seen weapons in collections like this.

7) Yeah, no, that's fantasy bro, and you can practically see curved-edge and rulers used to draw it, which is clumsy. It's not as awful as, say, 1 or 2, because it is at least classic.

8) Head is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big and nowhere near sharp-pointy enough for a real warhammer of that kind:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...mmer weapon&revid=325710860&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Ignore the fantasy or ornamental ones, which is most of them, but warhammers are pretty consistent in appearance, and this is a rather silly fantasy version.

9) Closer! The flanges are underdeveloped in a way that suggests that the artist doesn't think metal is very heavy or something, but whatever, not terrible.

10) I've seen two-handed war-hammers plenty in collections, but none of them looked remotely like this "brick of metal on a stick". If there is one that did, I'd love to see it.

11) Fine, I guess, but more boring-looking-yet-fancy than an actual two-handed axes, which seems perverse!

I'm not saying "THEY SHOULDN'T BE IN D&D OMGAWDS!", I'm just saying "Yawn, more unrealistic weapons that don't speak to me of the dangers and realities of combat, but the dangers of an artist with a curve-edge, a ruler, and no desire to research what what weapons look like or why they look like they do". If I've got some vast gaps in my knowledge of RL weapons, link me to the pics and I'll buy it, but gosh, these look really bleh to me, apart from 6. 2,3,4 and 5 I'd actually have rejected. The rest I'd merely have been disappointed by.

I guess part of this is growing up with really cool weapon which, whilst slightly unrealistic, looked sharp, dangerous, real, used and so on, and didn't look ceremonial, overwrought, or ridiculous unless that was the intent. Where a knight might actually carry a warhammer, not some kind of bizarre metal-brick deal.

Remove ads