D&D 5E Equipment posted~ pics

Ismaul

Explorer
Yeah, I know right? I mean everyone thinks the fella just wants a nice place to explore, but it seems to me like the "Ruin" part is more of a verb than a noun here. :p

But he's right.

Dausuul

Legend
That's some beautiful art! And while I agree that many of these weapons are "fantasy weapons," the differences are mostly in the form of excessive gewgaws rather than gross absurdity. Well, with the exception of the one Ruin Explorer aptly christened "brick on a stick." :)

I do wonder, however, why they didn't bother to put names on the weapons. Seems like it would have been a great opportunity to combine form and function--the same art that makes the page pretty could also have been telling players what their weapons looked like.

However, my inner pedant finds the use of the verb "to fire" rather grating.
You're not the only one. Bullets are "fired." Arrows are "shot," or "loosed," or "released." The only time you "fire" an arrow is when you dip the arrowhead in pitch and light it. Oh well.

Last edited:

Sir Hawk

First Post
You're not the only one. Bullets are "fired." Arrows are "shot," or "loosed," or "released." The only time you "fire" an arrow is when you dip the arrowhead in pitch and light it. Oh well.

That's not a hard and fast rule by any means, though:

Dictionary.com:

28. to project (a bullet or the like) by or as if by discharging from a gun.

30. to hurl; throw: to fire a stone through a window.

39. to hurl a projectile.

45a to discharge (as weapons, ammunition, etc.)

Wiktionary:

5. (transitive) To shoot (a device that launches a projectile or a pulse of stream of something).

Atomo

First Post
That's not a hard and fast rule by any means, though:

Dictionary.com:

28. toproject(abulletorthelike)byorasifbydischargingfromagun.

30. to hurl; throw: to fire a stone through a window.

39. tohurlaprojectile.

45a todischarge(asweapons,ammunition,etc.)

Wiktionary:

5. (transitive) To shoot (a device that launches a projectile or a pulse of stream of something).

Online Etymology Dictionary (I love this site):

"to fire a gun," fire in the second sense being from "set fire to gunpowder," attested from 1520s.

Zaran

Adventurer
I don't understand why a trident has the same stats as a spear but costs more, weighs more and is a martial weapon....

I know this was brought up in the beta.

Dausuul

Legend
I don't understand why a trident has the same stats as a spear but costs more, weighs more and is a martial weapon....

I know this was brought up in the beta.
Probably there are feats that let you do fancy stuff with a trident. Either that, or tridents just suck. 5E has evidently adopted the old-school view that not all equipment needs to be equally good. (That said, it's a pretty small difference. While using a trident over a spear is not optimal, one extra pound of encumbrance and four gold pieces is hardly crippling.)

Last edited:

Zaran

Adventurer
Probably there are feats that let you do fancy stuff with a trident. Either that, or tridents just suck. 5E has evidently adopted the old-school view that not all equipment needs to be equally good. (That said, it's a pretty small difference. While using a trident over a spear is not optimal, one extra pound of encumbrance and four gold pieces is hardly crippling.)

There is nothing nostalgic about silly things from old editions. If they don't have anything clever for the trident they should just remove it like they did the Katana.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'll admit the trident bothered me at first, but then I realized that the trident has never been an effective weapon, let alone something more effective than a spear, which has several millennia of constant regular use across multiple societies behind it.

The trident? It was used by a really cool type of gladiator, and derives from a particular style of fishing. I don't think it was ever a "real" weapon of war, it was just omg my spear has THREE!

Maybe the trident is exactly right -- harder to use than a spear and just as effective.

Remove ads