• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eric Noah's Info

Frostmarrow

First Post
RangerWickett said:
4. A new edition would give me a chance to be at the cutting edge of adventure design, which I really want to do. WotC, if you're reading this, check out my storyhour and see that I'm the type of writer who you want working on your 4e adventures.

I think you will find what they are looking for in terms of modules in this series of articles:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ab/20060728a

My guess is Wizards will release the next DDM as Dungeons & Dragons. It will be a collectible skirmish game, of course. On the side they will release D&D RPG which will handle the roleplaying aspect of D&D.

Have a look at French company Rackham. They make minis that can be used in a battle game, a skirmish game, a dungeon game, and now a roleplaying game. The rpg is called Cadwallon - A tactical RPG or some such. That's the way to do it.

Still what Rackham does is just pennies compared with what Wizards is capable of. You need to sell the same minis for different purposes. Why couldn't DDM be used as the tactical engine of a role-playing game? It could certainly work if it was designed to support both from the start.

Besides why is it that a rpg character is valued on both combat and social interaction? Only combat matters when it comes to the cost/value of a certain character/mini. You could just pick a cleric of Pelor mini and say this is me and I have my combat stats on this card. -Moreover my cleric is called Justin and he spent is youth in a library so he is well versed on the subjects of religion and heraldry and is also known as a good judge of character. -I certainly could play a campaign of D&D with such a character.

arscott

First Post
Dark Psion said:
I have a question, if "all the money" comes from Magic: The Gathering and Miniatures;

Where are the M:TG miniatures?
Dreamblade is, for all intents and purposes, an M:tG miniatures game. While they obviously don't have the same art style, Dreamblade seems to be designed specifically to replicate the feel of the magic CCG in a minis game.

Soel

First Post
Well, I've no interest in minis (haven't used them ever as a dm, in any edition,) but if the ideas are good, and spark creativity, then maybe 4e will be something I can use.

I also hope for a backwards compatibility at least as close as 3.0 to 3.5.

Wizards design/development have been thinking more outside the box lately, so its probably the best time to develop a new edition.

Who knows? Eric might simply have been the victim of a smart viral-esque developmental/marketing campaign. This very thread could be a part of 4e's development.

If that's the case, HEY GUYS, GIVE THE CLASSES MORE FEATS OR SIMILAR OPTIONS!

:lol:

catsclaw227

First Post
I can't believe I read the whole thing... It was like eating too much and it hurts for like an hour afterwards.

Frostmarrow said:
My guess is Wizards will release the next DDM as Dungeons & Dragons. It will be a collectible skirmish game, of course. On the side they will release D&D RPG which will handle the roleplaying aspect of D&D.

My thoughts... almost. I think they'll develop an enhanced DDM game, based around Dreamblade (if it's sucessful) and then sell/license the RPG off to another group. The RPG will be required to use the same dictionary of terms and general rules, but can be designed to the different playing styles: low/high magic, tactical/rp combat, gritty/epic play.

my 2 cents...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
EricNoah said:
It would be interesting to compare what was in the TSR pipeline the year before GenCon 1999. I don't know how much it would help predict a release date, though.
Let's see....

September 1998
Paladin in Hell
Star Cairns (Greyhawk)
Wizard's Spell Compendium, Volume Four

October 1998
Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad (Greyhawk)
Dawn of the Overmind
Faction War
Jakandor, Land of Legend
Calimport (Forgotten Realms)
Seeds of Chaos (Dragonlance Saga)

November 1998
Children of the Night: Werebeasts (Ravenloft)
Doomgrinder (Greyhawk)
Demihuman Deities (Forgotten Realms)

December 1998
Inner Planes (Planescape)
Lost Shrine of Bundushatur
Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four
Destiny of Kings

January 1999
Shattered Circle
Demihumans of the Realms (Forgotten Realms)

February 1999
Dungeons of Despair
Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium, Volume One (Ravenloft)
Sylvan Veil (Dragonlance Saga)

March 1999
Scarlet Brotherhood (Greyhawk)
TSR Jam 1999
Accursed Tower (Forgotten Realms)

April 1999
Axe of the Dwarvish Lords
Dungeons and Dragons Game

May 1999
Children of the Night: The Created (Ravenloft)
Priest's Spell Compendium, Volume One
Dragonlance Classics: 15th Anniversary Edition

June 1999
Return to the Keep on the Borderlands
Skullport (Forgotten Realms)

So there were a couple of "nostalgia" products (Dragonlance Classics: 15th Anniversary Edition and Return to the Keep on the Borderlands), several compilations (Wizard's Spell Compendium, Volume Four, Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four, Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium, Volume One and Priest's Spell Compendium, Volume One), a rerelease of the basic game, and lots of adventures.

Comparing that with the release schedule from August 2005 through to July 2006 is interesting. We have a couple of nostalgia products (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits), two compilations (Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium), a release of the basic game, and lots of adventures.

Hmmmm... :uhoh:

Frostmarrow

First Post
Product Speculation

This is what I expect to see in the 4E product line.

* Collectable Miniatures

Lots of different models in the entire range of sizes. Expect to see old minis return since the casts never wear out. Maybe the bases will be different.

* Deluxe Miniatures

For RPG characters; you can see what you buy.

* Stat cards for miniatures

There will be one rule set. Not one setup for DDM and one for D&D. The same tactical combat stats apply to all games.

* Scratch ticket stats

For RPGs; i.e a lottery ticket with stats to replace the random dice roll and/or point buy. Not a very popular product with the grognards but if it sells it sells. There is something special about officially sanctioned stats for your character. Perhaps the different stat series will be named in some way so that a particularly powerful row of stats can become legendary such as the Black Lotus and Moxes of M:TG and appear on E-Bay.

* Tactical combat maps

Modular. The gamer will be expected to own at least a core few of these and they will be necessary to use "bonus" parts of Fantastic Locations scenarios and high profile boxed sets.

* Fantastic Locations

Including a 16 page RPG scenario and tactical combat maps.

* High profile boxed sets

Including maps, scenarios, and minis. Almost a game in itself. Will be reusing famous dungeon names.

* Players Role-playing handbook

Fluffy details to add to your character. Role-playing tips. Adds skills to your character that have no use in the tactical combat part of the game. This is going to be a labour of love authored by someone with a mission to save RPGs as we know them.

* Class books

Including crunch such as advancement, spells, skills and feats. Perhaps a miniature or two. 3 books per class so they can keep adding feats and stuff to a class long after first release.

* Dungeon Master Guide

For the RPG. Expect a smallprint-run.

* Tactical combat book

Basically the combat and spells chapters out of PHB 3.5 and the conditions from DMG 3.5. But you already get the small font basics in the miniature boxes.

* Monster compilation books

Released six months after minis and stat cards.

* Treasure book

Magical items and stuff for your game. Will list the special items of named characters.

Henrix

Explorer
Oh, well, all endless speculation so far. *Sigh* It is bothersome not knowing anything, but I guess we'll know more after GenCon.

Hope it'll turn out well, and there are still enough people at Wizards who love D&D to keep my hopes up.

And I hope this is the job at Wizards Eric Mona just couldn't say no to (after the fiendish codexes). I'd really like him to have a lot of influence on the next edetion. :)

librarius_arcana

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
If this 4E rumor is true, then I think 3.x D&D is in the unique position of surviving.

A 4E edition of the type stated by Eric would effectively mean the end of producing true pen-and-paper RPGs. People who want to continue playing in that fashion will not stop by 3.x products as 4E approaches. The game will continue to be played, I believe, since there will not be much of a push for these people to have their game replaced.

I totally disagree, I can't disagree more, that would be a really bad idea, and they would loose a massive amount of sales as many people would just stick to 3.5 and not feel any need to shell out to get all of 4th as it doesn't support roleplay

we are talking about the iconic figure head of RPG's here,

wouldn't it be ironic if it had no RPG elements at all?,

If fact it should sway more towards RPG, and have follow up books to cover mini type play,

Remove ads