• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Erik Mona Has a Blog!

Belen

Adventurer
Renshai said:
Only problem is that there is no way to respond to your comments, unless you are a blogger.. which I'm not.

There could be alot of debate about your posts... but there is no venue in which to place them....

Also, there is alot of political commentary in your blog, and thats fine. But you are announcing it on a forum that is noted for the absence of political commentary. If it were an "all gaming blog", that would be different. I followed the link hoping to read about your comments on gaming and roleplaying (which I find very interesting, by the way). But when I get there and see alot of political material, its a big turn off.

Just my opinion, of course ;)

Ditto. I do not enjoy soapboxes or using fame to get an audience for them.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Erik-

Just remember one of the great axioms of the Internet:
The Internet has a great leveling effect: it makes everyone's opinions equally useless.

:D

Good luck w/ the blog!

mafisto

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
Ditto. I do not enjoy soapboxes or using fame to get an audience for them.
Er... read the site. It's a blog like any other - a mix of personal views, industry esoterica and the like. It's quite clear that this is a personal site of Eric's, meant to inform people who are interested in his personal thoughts. A few posts about politics does not a soapbox make.

I personally agree with Eric's political views, but I regularly read blogs of individuals with politics I don't agree with. My solution to this - and I respectfully suggest you try it - is to either skip the posts that don't interest me, or I read them and formulate a rebuttal in my head. Keeps the mind sharp to encounter contrary views, at least when you can tolerate them.

Related - I had no idea that Eric was so embedded in the history of D&D. Fascinating stuff, especially the posts regarding the creation of AD&D manuals. Those were the days...

Belen

Adventurer
mafisto said:
A few posts about politics does not a soapbox make. I personally agree with Eric's political views, but I regularly read blogs of individuals with politics I don't agree with. My solution to this - and I respectfully suggest you try it - is to either skip the posts that don't interest me, or I read them and formulate a rebuttal in my head. Keeps the mind sharp to encounter contrary views, at least when you can tolerate them.

It's a soapbox when you get on a website dedicated to gaming and "promote" your blog that happens to have personal political views. I do not mix my politics and D&D. It has always turned out badly.

If I want to read political viewpoints, then I will read blogs that focus on that subject. If someone wants to blog about gaming and the gaming industry, then I expect not to have to hear about their political views. I do not like it any better when the actor's use their movies and movie fame to do it. In my opinion, Eric is doing the exact same thing.

Had I not respected Eric and what he has done with the magazines, then I would not have been curious to read what he has to say. By promoting his blog and NOT letting us know that it would be political, then he purposely blind-sided me with his politics.

Now that I know what type of blog he runs, then I do not intended to return. It is cool, sans politics, but I purposely separated the two and do not want the mix. I get enough politics every day that I do not need them worming their way into my hobby too.

hexgrid

Explorer
BelenUmeria said:
It's a soapbox when you get on a website dedicated to gaming and "promote" your blog that happens to have personal political views. I do not mix my politics and D&D. It has always turned out badly.

If I want to read political viewpoints, then I will read blogs that focus on that subject. If someone wants to blog about gaming and the gaming industry, then I expect not to have to hear about their political views. I do not like it any better when the actor's use their movies and movie fame to do it. In my opinion, Eric is doing the exact same thing.

Had I not respected Eric and what he has done with the magazines, then I would not have been curious to read what he has to say. By promoting his blog and NOT letting us know that it would be political, then he purposely blind-sided me with his politics.

Now that I know what type of blog he runs, then I do not intended to return. It is cool, sans politics, but I purposely separated the two and do not want the mix. I get enough politics every day that I do not need them worming their way into my hobby too.

So you're unhappy that you had to actually go visit the blog before deciding that you didn't like it. Life is rough, isn't it?

mafisto

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
Normally I would just ignore this thread for the red herring it is, but for god's sake man, you're accusing the poor guy of maliciously decieving you in attempt to... what? Trick you into thinking his political views are correct?

There all manner of things a person could put in a personal blog that people would find objectionable, such as sexual proclivities, night life, choice of soft drink, thoughts on drivers who don't use directionals, etc. Do you really think that Eric was beholden to you (and everyone on this board) to make a list of every topic you might find on the blog so as to not hurt your sensibilities? If you paid $5 to see the blog I might understand the resentment, but that's not the case.

As Eric wrote, he thought there was enough game content on the site to interest ENWorlders. I, for one, am always glad when a luminary takes the time to show us how the game we love so much came to be. If you cannot get over the fact that he's mixing game content with personal views on a personal site, then fine - but don't accuse him of 'blind-siding' you.

Belen

Adventurer
hexgrid said:
So you're unhappy that you had to actually go visit the blog before deciding that you didn't like it. Life is rough, isn't it?

Good to know that you result to insult when someone disagrees with you.

Belen

Adventurer
mafisto said:
Normally I would just ignore this thread for the red herring it is, but for god's sake man, you're accusing the poor guy of maliciously decieving you in attempt to... what? Trick you into thinking his political views are correct?.

No one said malicious. However, when you come to a board that specifically excludes politics, then it may be nice to mention that political views are found within the blog. It's that simple.

Insight

Adventurer
If you don't like it, don't read it. Life is that simple. I only wish the people that try to santize our culture would adhere to the first amendment and common sense, but we're not that lucky I guess...

Remove ads