• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eryiedes' D20 Saga Edition Star Wars Rebellion Era Trilogy

Eryiedes

First Post
Fortunately for us, the new starship movement rules are pretty much as complicated as their character movement rules so if it isn't cancelled...tactical complexity won't suffer.
According to new ship rules...the ENTIRE party, if they are on a single ship, will have plenty to contribute and it is unlikely that anyone will be without something to do even if they aren't the pilot during a furball. Character feats such as rapid shot or power blast will be able to transfer that ability into ship combat and engineering becomes far more important for power allocation or shields.
If the thread gains some interest it should be a new experience for us all....I have never used mapping in SW games before lets alone for space combat but it shouldn't be too much different than player level interactions.
I will be lurking.

Peace & Light

Eryiedes

First Post
Quick note to Taren and Ftr.....the only problem with running an adventure with both dark and light aspected protagonists is that if there are ONLY two players....(as is our current situation)....it can't be done....for once the ONLY good character discovers that there is an evil imperial agent among the party....it could ONLY be the OTHER player and the atmosphere of intrigue dies pretty damn quickly as does the game.
Thats why FOUR players must be the minimum number for such a game...just so the players keep guessing and can guess wrong a few times before getting it right.
Its an unusual type of game to run but with the right amount of players it can be VERY entertaining.
The GURPS game however can be run on 2 players and has even run on ONE.
(Most action movies feature ONE hero anyway who is hyper competant so TWO isn't a big stretch....nor would be an entire party (but then the orientation of the game changes with more players)....it is neither a hinderance nor desirable, GURPS I can run on ANY number of players regardless of the situation)
Mind you, assuming that the SW game will go ":):):):) up" is a bit premature but I am just covering my bases.

Peace & Light

Ftr

First Post
However you think it will work out best. I am never really concerned about the system used. Its more about the game itself to me.
Id just as soon roleplay out most situations if possible anyway.

Just let me know what you decide.

Jim

Eryiedes

First Post
Absolutely not to worry.
My primary concern is to get Taren involved in some action.
System and specifics can be waived...rules are meant to be broken...ask any quantum mathematician!
I only emphasize a possible system change so if those currently involved don't have the source material...I will be able to adjust accordingly.
I am hoping to get a few more players for Saga Edition...but to be truthful....I am with GURPS as Zardoz is with D20...(with the exception of some of the latest releases)...and it would have been my first choice to run but I thought this was a D20 only site when I began my first thread or I would have posted GURPS Bubblegum Crisis, GURPS ADP, GURPS Unreal Tournament , GURPS Star Wars, GURPS Battlefield 2142, GURPS Gamma World, GURPS Star Frontiers or even GURPS Dungeon Fantasy...(all High-End cinematic of course)...before I posted d20.
(Kinda glad I went with d20 instead...but just sayin')
It not a realism mechanic either....but I LOVE second by second turn resolution in wuxia, wushu or chambara....it completely rocks.....and "bullet time" is also a mechanic I am very partial towards.

Something else unrelated just caught my eye but (and forgive me for saying this) I disagree with site ettiquete rule no# 16: Never base a character on yourself.....with respect to GURPS mainly.
For the most part when I GM...I make some broad character assumptions for npc's or antagonists....(sometimes not, but mostly yes)...but when I am a player I prefer to rp based on what I know best.
With THAT in mind....I run the typical GURPS senario in my head.
Walk into a room, bad guys about to do bad things are there....what do I do?
I don't "pull out a gat an start peelin' caps"....I RUN like a hell....because thats what I would DO in that situation....(that and GURPS can have a pretty unforgiving combat system when you are outnumbered, even for competant hero types)....I base my characters stats on me...his advantages...disadvatages, etc.....but only as a base which I then build on....I apply all the different lens and templates till I have the type of character I want and then I rp him to the best of my ability....which WON'T be hard at all....because it's basically ME!
I personally have never encountered a situation like the ones they describe in the ettiquete warning and I have been into rpg for the better part of 27 years....maybe I have just been lucky...(but not for 27 years running as I have never really been that lucky even once since birth)
Personally, if a real person flips out because he was killed and the character was based on him and he completely loses it and goes ballistic......sounds like you didn't need him as a player in the first place....but that's just ME.
Others may feel differently and I NEVER penalize a player for playing however he wants to play....as long as he stays within the confines of the game architecture.
I dunno....I just saw it and i had to say something about it.
(That being said Travis is nothing like me at all...for starters he's a medieval knight but he still probably bathes more than I do!)
Maptool will be up in a few hours....I have to split or it would be up now.

Peace & Light (and if I EVER see a "GURPS - Dancing with the Stars" thread....I'M gonna fly a plane into a freakin' building!)

Xris Robin

First Post
Just noticed this thread, you still looking for people? For any system or game? I've never played Saga or GURPS, but it sounds interesting.

Eryiedes

First Post
Just noticed this thread, you still looking for people? For any system or game? I've never played Saga or GURPS, but it sounds interesting.

That's not a problem at all.
I should actually take a poll of the players and exactly what it is they would like to play.....(What setting, What system, What gendre, etc...)
So far with you Ftr and Taren....that makes three.
I know Taren would like SW for he has never tried GURPS.
Ftr is new to either and I believe has no real preference as long as the mapping considerations have a degree of tactical complexity to them....which both systems do.
If you have any questions I will be in thread for a while and I usually check for responces regularly.
Maptools is a deal breaker....we all use it.
The mic is not a necessity but it helps.....even if you don't have one....to type your responce to an audio req is a BIG help when you play in real time.
The only other deal breaker is it has to be a week day game for Taren's sake...and not Friday.
Everything else is up for suggestion.

Peace & Light (and Good Hunting)

Xris Robin

First Post
As for me, I'd prefer Star Wars. I understand d20 already from 4e, so it's easier for me. (The only other system I've played is BESM).

I've used Maptool, Skype, and Ventrillo for gaming before, so that's no problem for me.

Also, as I'm currently in a biweekly Saturday game, playing on weekdays is fine with me.

Eryiedes

First Post
If 2/3rds want SW then SW it is.
I am checking into a new machine today.
I may or may not be out of touch for a few days so please bear with me.
If you have any questions about the specifics of character generation I should be lurking nearby for a bit.

Peace & Light (and provost marshalls say; "RESTORE THE REPUBLIC NOW OR ELSE!!!")

Eryiedes

First Post
Had to dust off my D20 Future to find some Star Frontiers alien races.
Been a while since I had to do that.
I am pretty sure Ftr is going with a Scout Class, probably human.
I am not sure what Taren has chosen either with respect to race or class.
I was supposed to have maptools up already but I decided to take a night off.
Just doing some reading.
I will probably be in thread for a while if there are any questions....i refresh the page every 10 minutes.
If a fourth player remains absent I will generate an NPC to take the fourth players place and we will proceed from there.
I think everyone should list the days (mon-thurs) during the week that they can play.....also times available would help.
Eventually it will not be uncommon to launch through 2 combat encounters per session....roughly 2 hours each with a brief intermission.
Is everyone well versed with maptools?
(I know Ftr is solid there but what about you other two?)
I do not imagine either skype or ventrillo will be used as tokbox seems to be the prefered method for discourse but if all agree to another format it will be done.
Remember, at the end of the Dark Times and the Rise of the Rebellion, even licenced equipment might be considered COMPLETELY illegal at this point.....any discrepancies will be brought up after character submission.
I should be lurking for a while.
Haven't gone in for new pc yet....needed a flashlight to see label on RAM chips and didn't have one yet was either too busy or too lazy to just YANK the damn thing out and just look at it!
All may bad.
I may be incomunicado for said related reason for a few days but it will only be temporary.

Peace & Light (and no "Grays" in my game setting!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads