Essence20: The New RPG System Which Powers Hasbro Licensed Games

Renegade Game Studios announced last year that it would be making official tabletop RPGs of various Hasbro properties, including Power Rangers, GI Joe, and Transformers. This week, they revealed the d20-based Essence20 game system which will power those games. https://www.enworld.org/threads/rpg-for-power-rangers-coming.675103/ Elisa Teague from Renegade spoke to Forbes about the system...

Renegade Game Studios announced last year that it would be making official tabletop RPGs of various Hasbro properties, including Power Rangers, GI Joe, and Transformers. This week, they revealed the d20-based Essence20 game system which will power those games.

essence.jpg

Elisa Teague from Renegade spoke to Forbes about the system.

“The Essence20 Roleplaying System is a d20 based system that uses what I call a ‘fashion plate’ system for character design, drawing from three aspects: what type of person are they, what is their function as part of the team, and what experiences have they had in their life prior to becoming a hero?”

The system has three elements: Origin, Role, and Influence, and uses different dice for different skill levels.

"When rolling Skills Tests and Attack Rolls, a player will always roll a d20 plus the applicable die for the type of roll they are making, resulting in a total that must exceed the Skill Test’s Difficulty in order to succeed. Essence20 also includes a ladder mechanic, where if a character has specialized in a particular Skill, they may roll their Skill Die plus every other die type under it, choosing the highest die result to add to their d20 roll. A critical success is made when any Skill Die shows its highest number, giving a huge chance of rolling crits, mathematically, and of course, then being able to roleplay those epic results in the most heroic way possible!"

In Power Rangers, characters don't die. They can be defeated and taken out of combat, but the threats they face are not lethal. The core book covers the period of the show when Zordon was the Power Rangers' mentor. The main villains are Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa.

power_rangers_art.jpeg

This weekend, at Renegade Con, they will reveal more information.

darjr

I crit!
We just watched Hasbro take decades to cross market MTG and D&D. Evidently they are slow learners (how many years did they keep trying to toyify/board game-ify D&D?) or they have a phobia of mashing up D&D with anything else.
If you want to make an RPG doesn’t it make sense to have people steeped in the lore to do so? It’s exactly what was done with the D&D Magic crossovers.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Hi Elisa! The system sounds interesting. Cascading dice, as opposed to exploding dice, is a cool system. I am more interested in the GI Joe and Transformers RPGs than Power Rangers, but I am excited to see an outside design group expanding what 5E can do. Plus, I like Kids on Bikes, so I have good hopes for these games.

Von Ether

Legend
Hey all! Elisa Teague, here, the Senior Producer of Roleplaying Games over at Renegade Game Studios!

I'm happy to field any questions you may have about our new and exciting upcoming RPGs, …
Elisa Teague
@geekypinup on Twitter for any questions! :)
With giant robots and kaiju, I’m curious how scaling interactions between giants and regular sized people go.

I assume we’ll see more genre specific rules in each game and get guidance on how to use them in cross overs?
And thank you for dropping by!

Rune

Once A Fool
With giant robots and kaiju, I’m curious how scaling interactions between giants and regular sized people go.

I assume we’ll see more genre specific rules in each game and get guidance on how to use them in cross overs?
And thank you for dropping by!
I’m curious how combined robots/mechs that form larger robots/mechs will work. This will be important for Power Rangers and Transformers.

Undrave

Legend
Hey all! Elisa Teague, here, the Senior Producer of Roleplaying Games over at Renegade Game Studios!

I'm happy to field any questions you may have about our new and exciting upcoming RPGs, but I want to make sure there is no confusion: Essence20 is an RPG system designed and published by Renegade Game Studios, and we have no affiliation with WotC and D&D, despite that we happen to license a few of Hasbro's other brands for our games.

These new games are not a "6E preview" but instead a whole different system, designed specifically to work well with these types of brands and neither are planned as an extension nor competition to D&D 5E, a system I love dearly but is just for a different fanbase. I hope that clears up any speculation, but if you have more questions, PLEASE tune into Renegade Con this weekend (starting today at 3pm PST) where we will have tons of panels and info about our new games and the premiere episode of our Power Rangers RPG actual play (tonight at 8pm PST) on twitch.tv/PlayRenegade

So glad to see all of the excitement!

Elisa Teague
@geekypinup on Twitter for any questions! :)
Welcome aboard!

I'll probably have some questions but I think the most polite thing would be to wait until after your proper reveal to as for details and clarifications. Still, I am VERY curious about the depth of lore your games will pull from and how many incarnations of those brands can be realized in them. Transformers in particular has a very rich tapestry of multiple universes and timeline (I'm looking forward to seeing what the art looks like in that one). I'd be a little miffed if the Transformers game is exclusively limited to the Great War with no mere mention of anything else.

I'd be curious to hear what were some of the design challenges in creating those games. For exemple, making the Megazord combat in Power Rangers feel like it involves the whole team working together, or making the secret identities lives of the Rangers an interesting space to explore through role play. Or just how to get people to play vehicles, or how to properly employ a military chain of command in a RPG where freedom is often the key...

Again, welcome aboard!

One final question: what pronunciation of 'Elisa' do you use? "El-eye-za"? "El-ee-sha"? "El-ee-za"?

Undrave

Legend
We just watched Hasbro take decades to cross market MTG and D&D. Evidently they are slow learners (how many years did they keep trying to toyify/board game-ify D&D?) or they have a phobia of mashing up D&D with anything else.
I almost get the feeling they have a phobia of mashing there brand with D&D and not the other way around :p

I REALLY wis the Kre-O D&D line was around for 5e. I think it would have took off... It was a PERFECT way to get customizable minis for your game! Just mix and match parts!

i think what has alot of people riled is even in the AD by reengade studios, it clearly says "powered by the 5e rules" and yet now we have a whole new system, so it just feels like being jerked around when everyone thought we were getting something 5e related and now we aren't.

Rune

Once A Fool
i think what has alot of people riled is even in the AD by reengade studios, it clearly says "powered by the 5e rules" and yet now we have a whole new system, so it just feels like being jerked around when everyone thought we were getting something 5e related and now we aren't.
Seems like a good change to me. 5e probably wouldn't be the greatest fit for these licenses. Too crunchy. And too class-based.

As for the fundamental underlying mechanic: d20 + numbers? Looks like that’s essentially still the same.

Argyle King

Legend
D20 + a skill die sounds a little bit like the Proficiency Dice alternate rule for D&D.

The ladder of dice sounds like a very different direction.

I'm curious to see what the writing style is like for the fluff.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads