• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Red Box Errata

jelmore

First Post
The URL (http://DungeonsandDragons.com/codes) currently redirects to the main D&D page (Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page)

NOTE: the card has the redemption code necessary to download the adventure, just going to the URL above will not allow you to download it. (That is, if it resolved correctly.)

I just wanted to add that the link works now; I've got the PDF, an adventure for one 1st-level player that supposedly uses the rules in the red box.

ETA: The adventure uses the same choose-your-own-adventure format as the character-building adventure in the Player's Guide. No DM needed.

Last edited:

AngryMojo

First Post
Step 7: Unless something has changed in D&D Essentials, halflings, who are small, can't use a greatsword or greataxe. The halfling fighter should instead be using the versatile longsword or battleaxe in two hands (for d8/d10 damage respectively).

I'm inclined to believe this isn't a bug, but instead a small amount of streamlining to make the Red Box easier for newbies to pick up. Same with the lack of passive Insight and Perception (unless they're called for later, I haven't examined it too closely). If you get someone coming in from a WoW background and they see that halflings can't use big weapons, they'll likely immediately think "Halflings can't make good fighters."

I also could be completely wrong.

nookiemonster

First Post
If you hit you go to a section which explains your Constitution score. If you miss, you NEVER go to that section...EVER.

This is not true, when you get to section #83, in the last point it directs you to the appropriate section. In regards to Initiative, it also tells you how to determine your Initiative modifier (third last paragraph of section #83, page 26).

#58:
It says that, as a rogue, you get training in Stealth and Thievery, and then get two more skills. Then it says to pick either Acrobatics or Athletics, then gain training in two more skills (three if you're human). This is confusing. Does the rogue get training in 7 skills, or 5 skills, or some other amount?

jelmore

First Post
On page 49 of the Dungeon Master's Book, the Goblin Cutthroat's Short Sword and Dagger attacks are missing the "weapon" keyword.

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Step 87: Your cleric's reflex bonus does not take into account that you are using a heavy shield, and a heavy shield is not listed in the "Under 'Equipment and Magic Items'" paragraph.
A month-and-a-half-later:
I just got and used the Red Box (later than everybody else, as usual), and created a Halfling Cleric of the Sun.

Ahem: AC 18? They just say a Cleric has AC 18, and never mind that a Halfling has to wield that mace with two hands, and doesn't get the Heavy Shield. I'm going to have to cross out AC 18 on the sheet and put in 16. :-S
(Of course, I will delay doing that until after finishing Ghost Tower of Witchlight Fens, because it was WotC's mistake, so why should my PC suffer?)

Phooey. If he survives to Level 2, he will take "Weapon Proficiency: Short Sword," and dump that ("Versatile!") mace so he can wear a Heavy Shield, and finally earn that AC 18 that the Red Box was telling me that he was using all along. (Lose a point of damage, gain a point of to-hit: it's worth it.)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Nothing really new here for a while, and we are past the Red Box and well into Essentials proper, so I'm going to unsticky this thread now.

Cheers

EnJoined

First Post
Just want to add, although it's off-topic I guess, but in regards to Errata, GreyLord's post is *spot on* for a newbie like me to the Red Box set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads