• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Even if you like D&D Next, are you buying it, and how soon?

When will you actually be purchasing D&D Next?

• Immediately upon release, hands down, no questions asked.

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • Not immediately, but probably within the first 90 days of release.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Sometime after our current campaign finishes up (3-9 months)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I'm sure I'll get around to it (9 months +)

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • It ain't happening. Don't want it, don't need it, already have more than enough "D&D."

Votes: 32 20.9%

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I will buy the core three books (or whatever the equivalent format will be), right away. I am unlikely to buy anything after that (based on the way things appear to be heading).

Obryn

Hero
Who on earth said anything about $120 for the core rulebooks?
Nobody, but with current market for a 300+ page glossy hardcover, $40 is about the standard price. 3 books, x $40...

Core will probably be cheaper, though, potentially as a loss leader, and likely in a box set.

-O

Obryn

Hero
Who said it will be three books?
3 is the minimum for Core + Standard + Advanced. On the assumption that "core" will literally be one book and necessary for the game.

It may in fact be more - Standard PHB, Advanced DMG, Monster Manuals, etc. Thinking about it, I'm almost certain it'd have to be more, because I don't see this edition starting without a full monster book with all the monster stuff they've been pushing on the site.

The book breakdown is all guesswork now, as is the price, but I think it's fair to say we're in for at least 3 books for Advanced.

-O

EYEforanEYE

First Post
3 is the minimum for Core + Standard + Advanced. On the assumption that "core" will literally be one book and necessary for the game.

It may in fact be more - Standard PHB, Advanced DMG, Monster Manuals, etc. Thinking about it, I'm almost certain it'd have to be more, because I don't see this edition starting without a full monster book with all the monster stuff they've been pushing on the site.

The book breakdown is all guesswork now, as is the price, but I think it's fair to say we're in for at least 3 books for Advanced.

-O

Ok, if you say so. I guess we shall when it is released...

FireLance

Legend
I want to like 5e and I want to be excited about getting my hands on the new books, but with the exception of a handful of interesting and innovative mechanics (expertise dice, hit dice, the sorcerer mechanic of gaining constant bonuses as daily abilities are expended) which can be easily ported into a 4e game, almost everything else about 5e from its design philosophies (bounded accuracy, short combats, balancing over the adventuring day) to its mechanics (advantage/disadvantage, apparently haphazard approach to class design) seems to me to be a regression.

I might pick up 5e if I can work up the enthusiasm.

Last edited:

Pentoth

First Post
I don't think I will be buying it unless it is absolutely spectacular. Nothing against it I just I will have to like it more than Warhammer 2 ed and Pathfinder which for me that's not likely.

Remove ads