• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Even if you like D&D Next, are you buying it, and how soon?

When will you actually be purchasing D&D Next?

• Immediately upon release, hands down, no questions asked.

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • Not immediately, but probably within the first 90 days of release.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Sometime after our current campaign finishes up (3-9 months)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I'm sure I'll get around to it (9 months +)

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • It ain't happening. Don't want it, don't need it, already have more than enough "D&D."

Votes: 32 20.9%

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Heck I bought 4e right out of the gate, which if I tried first I probably would never have bought.

D&D Next has shown it is so far a game I will like, and the dev articles are there going along with it.

with 4e, the game articles made me THINK I wanted 4e, but I sure wish they gave as good a playtest for 4e as they are giving Next. With that I would have known what I was in for, and saved myself some money.

Kinak

First Post
I sat 4e out and it looks like there's a decent chance 5e will pass me by as well.

If the basic rules are written concisely (rather than bloated with options) and create a fun game that's substantially simpler to run than Pathfinder, I'll probably pick those up.

Cheers!
Kinak

robocoastie

Explorer
So far Next seems to be a slightly revised 3.5 which is what 4e should have been. I don't agree that Pathfinder is what 4e should have been though, I find Pathfinder incredibly complicated, character creation takes almost as long as GURPS does for example. If Next is truly more "OD&D/Basic play" compatible then I will be getting the core products but that is it, no campaign or splat books etc... I "try" to play play by post games though games more advanced than OD&D/BXE always fail. So D&D Next basic options just might work.

robocoastie

Explorer
Heck I bought 4e right out of the gate, which if I tried first I probably would never have bought.

D&D Next has shown it is so far a game I will like, and the dev articles are there going along with it.

with 4e, the game articles made me THINK I wanted 4e, but I sure wish they gave as good a playtest for 4e as they are giving Next. With that I would have known what I was in for, and saved myself some money.

I agree partly. I actually like most of 4e. I've never been a fan of Vancian magic but there has always been houserules to get around that. Also many of the "at will" spells 4e gets criticized for are really no different than carrying multiple magic charged wands around, if you want to re-create that affect then make "at will" spells have component cost like rituals do and walla you have your "guns" back.

What DOES TICK me off though about 4e is all that sliding/teleporting/pushing/ movements, bonuses that only last that round and IF hit THAT target, and initiative order madness. OMG that video game like stuff is what bogs down combat both on the tabletop and online playbypost. Those can't even be houseruled to hack to work because doing so breaks so much else! Some of these complaints are just as true for Pathfinder too despite what those fans think. Initiative madness happens there too BUT it is easier to houserule change that when needed I'll give it that.

Bow_Seat

First Post
I am the quintessential consumer. I didn't even like fourth and I still bought all the books. Will buy immediately.

I'll also steal a copy for my computers, but I'll pay for at least one copy of each book.

adamc

First Post
I'm totally uncertain of whether I'll ever buy it at this point. But your poll doesn't give me a place to say that. I can't give a definite "I'll buy after ___" answer or a definite "I'm not going to buy it". Depends on the final product.

Remove ads