D&D 5E Everyone Should Play Custom Lineage by Default

I was talking about racial feats I suppose. Yeah you're a humanoid no you're not an elf or whatever.
Elves are just Humanoids. There is no elf 'type'.

If your Custom lineage is Elven (born an Elf, raised as an Elf, consider yourself and are considered in game world to be an Elf) you're an Elf.

So... your argument boils down to "allow unchecked powergaming or you're a bad DM"?

For the last time, no.

You're the one constantly talking about 'power-gaming'. Im working off the following assumptions:

1) You cant 'power-game' custom lineage. In power it's roughly equivalent in Power to Vuman or any of the other default Races.

Compare:

High Elf
+2/+1
Darkvision
Perception
Advantage on being Charmed/ cant be put to sleep
4 hour Long rests
Proficient in Swords and Bow
Free Wizard cantrip
Bonus language

Custom lineage Elf
+2
Darkvision or a Skill
Feat

That Feat (to draw equal to the base High Elf) would need to be the equivalent of +1 to an Ability score, a Skill proficiency, 4 Martial weapon proficiencies, 4 hour short rests, immunity to sleep, charm resistance, a bonus Cantrip and a bonus Language to match the 'standard' High Elf.

Which would be a pretty broken Feat! In exchange for all those goodies, you get some ability to customise your PC.

How is 'Normal High Elf' broken or power gamed compare to Custom Lineage Elf? If I offered a half feat with those benefits:

Elven blood. The blood of the Elves flows through your veins. You gain the following benefits:
  • +1 to an Ability score to a maximum score of 20
  • You gain a Skill proficiency,
  • You gain 4 Martial weapon proficiencies
  • Long rests only take 4 hours for you
  • You have immunity to sleep, and advantage on being charmed
  • You gain a bonus Cantrip from the Wizard list
  • You gain a bonus Language of your choice

Most so called 'Power gamers' would take it in an instant!

There is no power gaming here, and nothing is broken with this rule, and if your table is full of players who would try and twist this rule to 'power game' something outside the spirit of the rule, you have bigger problems going on than Custom Lineage.

Last edited:

pming

Legend
Hiya!
If 2e had sorcerers, I wouldn't need any other edition.
Maybe this will whet your apatite? Perhaps let you tweak it to fit just what you want?
Here: 2nd ed. AD&D Sorcerors - Dragonlance Nexus
And...:2nd Ed. AD&D Spell Creation Rules for Sorcery and Mysticism - Dragonlance Nexus
...I couldn't find the other link to the 'default' rules for Sorcerer though...it's there somewhere, but that site is a HOT MESS! :(

That said, I don't think it would be hard to create it, tbh. Using the rules in the 2e DMG and maybe some stuff from the "Skills & Powers" series might be useful too.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Zardnaar

Legend
For the last time, no.

You're the one constantly talking about 'power-gaming'. Im working off the following assumptions:

1) You cant 'power-game' custom lineage. In power it's roughly equivalent in Power to Vuman or any of the other default Races.

Compare:

High Elf
+2/+1
Darkvision
Perception
4 hour Long rests
Free Wizard cantrip
Bonus language

Custom lineage Elf
+2
Darkvision or a Skill
Feat

That Feat (to draw equal to the base High Elf) would need to be the equivalent of +1 to an Ability score, a Skill proficiency, 4 Martial weapon proficiencies, 4 hour short rests, immunity to sleep, charm resistance, a bonus Cantrip and a bonus Language to match the 'standard' High Elf.

Which would be a pretty broken Feat! In exchange for all those goodies, you get some ability to customise your PC.

How is 'Normal High Elf' broken or power gamed compare to Custom Lineage Elf? If I offered a half feat with those benefits:

Elven blood. The blood of the Elves flows through your veins. You gain the following benefits:

There is no power gaming here, and nothing is broken with this rule, and if your table is full of players who would try and twist this rule to 'power game' something outside the spirit of the rule, you have bigger problems going on than Custom Lineage.

With point buy/default array you can start with an 18 and a 14 and some classes work fine with that eg rogue.

Then take elven accuracy at level 4.

Better than variant human in some areas, dex based SAD classes come to mind.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Hiya!

Yes. You got it. :)
Why? Because I like the "vibe" of 1e, and 5e can be played with that vibe if you are careful to ignore many of the options and add in a handful of house rules. :)

Only thing I'm missing is a 5e equivalent of the Dungeoneers and the Wilderness Survival Guide's. I've given up hope for that though... :(

^_^

Paul L. Ming
That's good. And thank you for expanding on the why. While it was something I considered unnecessary for me to know, it definitely helps understand where you are coming from.

While I first played 2e, most of my early D&D was 3/3.5. So we do not share a similar vibe on PC vs NPC in general. I certainly play plenty of campaigns still that are zero to hero, but with different upfront 'baggage'.

Personally, I don't have big issues with custom lineage. But I'm not a fan of normalizing the powergaming method of maximizing your primary score no matter what. Which I think it's the sentiment behind this idea. You don't need to race to 20 in your primary score to have a meaningful character, let alone have fun with your character.
I was going to say something similar.

Custom Lineage is useful as part of the DM’s toolkit to create a new race that (probably) isn’t unbalanced. I can also see its use for a player that can’t realize their concept using existing races. However, I would probably look askance at a player whose only purpose for using a Custom Lineage was that stats didn’t line up or they need to wait 3 levels for a feat.

squibbles

Adventurer

I categorically object to your premise! shortbow is clearly a simple weapon and not a martial weapon.

Also, my 18 Str plate-armored anthropomorphic octopoid forge cleric booming blades you with his +1 blessing of the forge'd greatsword. He has elven blood... but is definitely not power gaming. Yay custom lineage 😄

I mean, I started the thread, so I'm in basic agreement with you, but... you're going pretty hard there dude.

Zardnaar

Legend
I categorically object to your premise! shortbow is clearly a simple weapon and not a martial weapon.

Also, my 18 Str plate-armored anthropomorphic octopoid forge cleric booming blades you with his +1 blessing of the forge'd greatsword. He has elven blood... but is definitely not power gaming. Yay custom lineage 😄

I mean, I started the thread, so I'm in basic agreement with you, but... you're going pretty hard there dude.

Is that all?

Last night we had level 5 divine soul/death cleric one getting 30-40 damage to two targets for the cost of 1 sorcery point.

She was rolling like a fiend though several times breaking 20+ on 2d12.

Forge clerics good interesting concept.

For the last time, no.

Compare:

High Elf
+2/+1
Darkvision
Perception
4 hour Long rests
Free Wizard cantrip
Bonus language

Custom lineage Elf
+2
Darkvision or a Skill
Feat

I agree it's not OP, but I just can't agree that the thing you created using the custom lineage rules is mechanically an elf, as it's not designed as a subset of the elf rules in the PHB (as opposed to every other elf subrace).

squibbles

Adventurer
I agree it's not OP, but I just can't agree that the thing you created using the custom lineage rules is mechanically an elf, as it's not designed as a subset of the elf rules in the PHB (as opposed to every other elf subrace).
I guess I'm nitpicking--and I've avoided this point of argument so far--but that really seems like a noodley semantic distinction to me.

Lets say, for sake of argument, that the folks at WOTC release Plane Shift: flibbity flobbity floop. In PS:FFF, the elves have +2 Constitution, +1 Charisma, and a grab bag of skill, weapon, and tool proficiencies--but don't trance or have sleep immunity. PS:FFF says they are elves, and reprints the elven accuracy feat. Nothing is particularly overpowered and the race+feat option is believable.

Would you be unable to "agree that the thing [...] is mechanically an elf, as it's not designed as a subset of the elf rules in the PHB"?

If the mechanics are fine and the fiction is believable on its face, what makes it especially objectionable? Is it just that there is no official permission from WOTC (yet)?

Remove ads