D&D 5E Everything aboot 5E looks boring.

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
I don't see anything currently worth my money. The classes look boring, the races look boring, and the monsters in the bestiary look boring. I've put aboot 12 hours of testing into it too and it's really, really boring at the table.

I don't want a boring edition of D&D =(

renau1g

First Post
Well, the good thing is that WotC isn't coming and taking any of your books from older editions, so you can continue to play them to your hearts content. There's probably enough 4e (or 3e, or previous editions) material out there to last your lifetime :)

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
Well, the good thing is that WotC isn't coming and taking any of your books from older editions, so you can continue to play them to your hearts content. There's probably enough 4e (or 3e, or previous editions) material out there to last your lifetime :)

Yep this is so true, plus Paizo is still selling ongoing quality products for their Pathfinder supplement! Good time to be a D&D fan.

What would you want to see for you to find it interesting? Just calling it boring doesn't help us understand what's wrong with it, in your opinion.

Bow_Seat

First Post
I don't see anything currently worth my money. The classes look boring, the races look boring, and the monsters in the bestiary look boring. I've put aboot 12 hours of testing into it too and it's really, really boring at the table.

How about we ask this:

"What makes D&D fun?"

, and

"In what way is that missing from 5e?"

Whatever your answer is to that is probably what you should shape your playtest report around. If you can't specifically answer the question then you can't really be helped. I don't mean to imply that not being able to answer the question with specificity invalidates you claim, but it does significantly tie the hands of the people trying to cater to you (and your wallet!)

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Can you cite some examples of "non-boring" stuff from your edition(s) of choice compared to the "boring" version in 5E?

This way we know you're not just trolling.

Is the OP Canadian?

"It's aboot freedom..."

canada.jpg
:)

But yeah boring is a pretty broad tag, why and what is boring? Boring generally means to me (in an RPG) lacking.. you cannot do what you want or too complex or time consuming.

However most RPGs can be made non-boring by a good DM and fun group!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I find the interest and excitement come not from the rules themselves, but from the people at the table. The real question is - do these rules enable your people engaging and cool and interesting play? If not, what is missing from the rules that you need, and/or what exists in the rules that gets in your way?

Tony Vargas

Legend

I too wonder what you find boring about it. Is it bounded accuracy and the resultant hp/damage scaling that, that, in combination with a stab at 4e-style 'ease of DMing' reduces all monsters to little more than various size blocks of hps? Is it just a case of 'nothing new,' as all the classes have their familiar old spells (or lack thereof) working more or less as they always have? Is it the old-school dungeon-crawl quality of Caves of Chaos?

Some of it has got to be that it's still just a playtest, and tests aren't as exciting as the real thing. Heck, if anything, for better test results, they should try to isolate what their testing a bit more - making it /really/ boring. ;)

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Personally, I'm sick to here of "exciting" game systems. The more "exciting" a game system is, the harder it is for it to fade into the background and let the excitement of the story I and my fellow players are to come to the fore.

I want a system where, the next day, the players talk about the dragons they slew, the princesses they swooned, and the castles they destroyed, not what die they rolled or card they flipped.

Remove ads