D&D 5E Everything aboot 5E looks boring.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Well, the good thing is that WotC isn't coming and taking any of your books from older editions, so you can continue to play them to your hearts content.

If only this were guaranteed to be true. My edition-of-chioce's current "book" is the Compendium. There's no word whether they intend to keep this up indefinitely or taking it away some time after 5E is published.

There's probably enough 4e material out there to last your lifetime :)

The key material I need to continue running the game is adventure support. I currently have about 2 and a half years worth of good adventures. Assuming another year of Dungeon before they switch to publishing only 5E stuff is another year and a half of adventures. 4 years is a good amount, but hardly a lifetime. And that's being generous about the quality. It's probably more like 2 years worth once I weed out the bad stuff.

Yora

Legend
I find the interest and excitement come not from the rules themselves, but from the people at the table. The real question is - do these rules enable your people engaging and cool and interesting play? If not, what is missing from the rules that you need, and/or what exists in the rules that gets in your way?
I kind of want the rules to be something you could call boring.
For me, playing is not about "playing the game". The rules are there to set the limits in which the players can let their characters act. I want the rules to be not entertaining, because I want them to stay in the background until I need them, and then I want them to do that job quick and efficiently and vanish out of sight again.

tlantl

First Post
If only this were guaranteed to be true. My edition-of-chioce's current "book" is the Compendium. There's no word whether they intend to keep this up indefinitely or taking it away some time after 5E is published.

Wasn't it said in one of the seminars that these guys intended to make everything from all of the editions available electronically?

Wouldn't it make sense to make them print on demand also? I'm not saying this is true but it seems like a pretty good idea.

I'm pretty sure that there will be a major upsurge of materials from 3rd parties, with or with out WotC's support, for all of their gaming systems.

Perhaps the attitude that you don't have to stop playing your favorite version of the game is unofficially the official stance of the company since there are unspoken plans they could include support for all of their products even if only by producing adventures and small rules supplements geared toward each of them.

I don't get the impression that WotC is looking at D&D N as the successor to 4e the way they did going from 3e to 4e. Reprinting 1e and 3e while working on next seems like the company is serious about finding a way to keep D&D fans loyal to their brand.

Then again I could be delusional.

Raith5

Adventurer
I too wonder what you find boring about it. Is it bounded accuracy and the resultant hp/damage scaling that, that, in combination with a stab at 4e-style 'ease of DMing' reduces all monsters to little more than various size blocks of hps? Is it just a case of 'nothing new,' as all the classes have their familiar old spells (or lack thereof) working more or less as they always have? Is it the old-school dungeon-crawl quality of Caves of Chaos?

Interesting point about bounded accuracy. I have been wondering if there is downside of lower numbers both in terms of excitement and in terms of actual game play? Does it make things too swingy at lower level for instance? I am not sure. After the numbers bloat of 3rd and 4th ed we may simply be overawed by lean numbers.

While it is way too earlier to be expecting to game to be exciting because many elements are not present or working smoothly there are some things that leave me unimpressed at this stage. I find the spell system and spells to be very drab and I find the idea that wizard not rolling all their attacks to remove some of the fun present in 4th. That said we all have different understandings of what makes excitement.

ArmoredSaint

First Post
I don't see anything currently worth my money. The classes look boring, the races look boring, and the monsters in the bestiary look boring. I've put aboot 12 hours of testing into it too and it's really, really boring at the table.
I have a like amount of time invested in testing, and my impression is starkly at odds with yours. I enjoyed it immensely. What is boring to you might be thrillingly nostalgic to me...

tlantl

First Post
I don't see anything currently worth my money. The classes look boring, the races look boring, and the monsters in the bestiary look boring. I've put aboot 12 hours of testing into it too and it's really, really boring at the table.

I don't want a boring edition of D&D =(

The game as it stands costs nothing so complaining that it's not worth your money seems a little off.

The game is in play test mode to garner our feedback not to supply us with a full blown working system, so sure it's going to be limited in scope and boring, especially if you use it a lot in play testing.

I'm sure that the devs would love to know that you find their system boring but you also need to tell them why it's got you yawning. If it is something that can be fixed then maybe it will get fixed. If it's just that you need some form of super stimulus to keep you going then maybe play testing isn't the best thing for you, because it's not likely to get any better.

The thing I find most boring about recent editions of D&D is running the same fight for half an hour or more. Five or ten minutes of attacks is good since it gives me time to play the adventure I wrote not slog through two encounters of combat, gnaw some pizza and pack up the game for another week. That is so little fun that I cringe when I have to run a session.

Lately D&D stopped being fun. I work hard enough during the week I don't want to spend my off time doing more work. When D&D is fun again I'll be a much happier DM.

You can still buy one today. I have one on the shelf that isn't going anywhere.

The key material I need to continue running the game is adventure support. I currently have about 2 and a half years worth of good adventures. Assuming another year of Dungeon before they switch to publishing only 5E stuff is another year and a half of adventures. 4 years is a good amount, but hardly a lifetime. And that's being generous about the quality. It's probably more like 2 years worth once I weed out the bad stuff.

Do what everyone does, convert adventures you like to your system of choice.

triqui

Adventurer

I don't want a boring edition of D&D =(

So DDN is not your cup of tea.
I'll suggest you to try some other games then. Please close the door gently when you leave, and have fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases