• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil vs Good: D&D Wargaming

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Reacting to the Dragons warning the Hunters moves to mirror reaching out to snatch it up before anything get take it. He is still in Whirlwind form as he takes it and then drops the whirlwindsbase to the ground causing the debris to fly up in a concealing cloud!

(ooc so after casting the Greater Dispell goes through and grabs at the Mirror so as to pick it up and carry it to safety. The whirlwind ought to affect any 'lights' - the Druid ought to know they are Celestials right? - either knocking them back or dragging them up.

He moves back with the mirror and then continues with the other spells ( Protection from Energy, Summon Greater Air Elemental (Natures Ally) ,and firestorm on the obvious Leaders (seen using Trueseeing If the Enemy is still attacking he retreats and tries to get out of the Lair (using transport via plants if possible or Wind Walk)

and Drakknyte don't beat ya self 2 much (the Enemy is doing that:p - it was sudden and effective and shows we were all unprepared for an attack so early in the game - its also a new thing 4 me too running such a high level character (usually I consider anything over 10 Epic (pity its not working!!!
)

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Whirlwind should be plenty devastating to Lantern Archons & Mephits alike, but you've still got to worry about what happens when they drop the wall.

So, wait, do you already have True Seeing going? Or are you planning on casting it four rounds from now?

Which version of Protection from Energy are you casting next?

Random aside: Given how wacky things have been going so far, you might want to try just planning the combat a round at a time. :)

Last edited:

Fieari

Explorer
The stench of fear fills the room. A flurry of motion. A ten foot whirlwind reaches from the floor to the ceiling, devestating all creatures it touches (14 this round, 8 Mephits, 6 lights, which yes, you recognize as celestials).

The wall of force drops, and in that instant, the Dragon Breathes his firey breath.

Code:
Save DC: 21
Wizard#1: 2(rolled) + ??? = Fail
Wizard#2: 8(rolled) + ??? = Fail
6d10 damage to each... 33, 31

And at the same time, one of the wizards unleashes his deadly magic...

Code:
Save DC: 10 + 7 + ??? = ???
Dragon: 8(rolled) + 18 = 26... FAIL
30d6 Damage: 101!  Dragon at -6, but by spell turns to dust instantly.  Dead.

And as the dragon vanishes from this mortal realm with a word, the other wizard is given line of sight to the druid...

Code:
Save DC: 10 + 7 + ??? = ???
Druid: 13(rolled) + 12 = 25... FAIL
30d6 Damage: 99!  Druid at -12, turns to dust instantly.

And that was that... they had little trouble mopping up the remaining Air Mephits, Kobolds, Ravens. The Mirror was stolen. The Hoard, looted.

The Mirror portal is still open, despite being taken away. Does your army persist in coming through to fight the enemy?

Drakknyte32

First Post
Edit: How many times have we posted at the exact same time now 5? sheesh.

Don't let them start a victory dance just yet. You said I get a will save each round to come back as a ghost (I will begin writing my new stats immediately) If I make an early one then I will be able to cause some damage to them before they leave.
And what about my 200 kobalds and remaining mephits? You can't gather up and teleport away 50'000 gold in just one round. They will be streaming towards the wizards and opening fire. As will the mephits. And you can not mop up 200 kobalds that are spread out and behind cover that easily. If nothing else it will take them several minutes to succeed, giving me enough time to return.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Fieari said:
The Mirror portal is still open, despite being taken away. Does your army persist in coming through to fight the enemy?

As the army has no way to recieve orders to the contrary, why wouldn't they?

Argh. Too far away to help. Mabye the next armies will do a little better. :(

(of course, now we're fighting from way behind)

Last edited:

Drakknyte32

First Post
Alright I guess that is enough time to wipe out the kobalds and mephits and skedaddle with the treasure. Only if they teleported the mirror right away and used magic though, otherwise the delay probably would be long enough. I hope the wizards used up a lot of spells though, the number they have remaining will become important in about 5 hours. Could you tell me exactly how they finished up my forces, I want to know how much they wasted in the way of resources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pile of dust that was once the FireKing stirs, a breeze wafts through the lair and then a ghostly form can be seen. The FireKing has risen, though far too late.

The lair is a mess, corpses of kobalds and mephits are everywhere, signs of violent deaths evident. Even worse, his treasure and the mirror were gone, and in the druid's place is only another pile of dust.

The FireKing howled, he howled like a mere wolf for the loss of everything, even his life. He did not howl for long however, there was still work to do. The Lich King would not let him rest just because he and his forces were killed. He still had to destroy the forces of good. And he would start with those damned wizards.

With that The FireKing left behind his old life for good. Even his name he forgot and changed to DeathBringer. He took to his new form like it was what he was meant to be.

The DeathBringer flew, he did not fly through the sky though. He flew on the ethereal, invisible to normal sight. He flew through the ground, rising above it only to check his progress, making it impossible to see where he was going. He flew towards the city in the mountain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am flying straight towards the city in the mountain. I am flying in the ethereal (+5 to saves against scrying for being on another plane, invisible to normal sight). And I am flying underground with occasional checks to see that I am going the right way (Full cover, full concealment, the wizards won't be able to tell where I am from my surroundings). I go 40 miles an hour and I don't stop for anything so I shouldn't take to long.

I will post further actions once you have answered my questions in the rogues gallery.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Damn that was quick! and we a right back now!

As to the army yeah I suppose that without me to command they are going to keep streaming in - The two Hunt Masters are with them (the Bard in Ethereal form) is the last one through and the Marshall is staying behind in reserve - so he will become leader for that engagement (and is likely to order a withdrawal back to the Grove). The Barbarians and Warriors go into defense and the Dog Warriors attack the biggest threat to cover the retreat (remember the Pixies are invisible)

If the Hunt Masters (Bard or Marshall) notice anything strange (can they see through the portal?) then the retreat will be called before they go through and the Portal closed once everyone (or as many as possible) is back

As to the Grove/Forest can I presume that Unhallow (with an embedded Entangle good alignments) is in place?

Anyway back to the drawing board on a leader - hmmmmmm

Last edited:

Drakknyte32

First Post
My questions have been answered so I will post my further actions now.

Once I get close to the city but still out of sight I will dive underground again and will come up in the city. I will come up carefully in the city, only letting my head leave the ground (+17 to hide and still on the ethereal so invisible). Once I have found the wizards tower I will head there underground. I will come in from underneath and try manifesting on an empty lower level to see if they have forbiddance or dimensional anchor up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads