D&D (2024) Exhaustion

jasper

Rotten DM
EXHAUSTED [CONDITION] While you are subjected to the Exhausted Condition (known in older books as Exhaustion), you experience the following effects: Levels of Exhaustion. This Condition is cumulative. Each time you receive it, you gain 1 level of exhaustion. You die if your exhaustion level exceeds 10.
d20 Rolls Affected. When you make a d20 Test, you subtract your exhaustion level from the d20 roll.

Spell Save DCs Affected. Subtract your exhaustion level from the Spell save DC of any Spell you cast.

Ending the Condition. Finishing a Long Rest removes 1 of your levels of exhaustion. When your exhaustion level reaches 0, you are no longer Exhausted.

jasper

Rotten DM
Okay I was losing the exhaustion comments in the mist of others.
I think it should only go up to 6 like it does now. It should include the Slowed Condition
Some Monsters should give exhaustion like the Banshee Wail DC 14 CON save or gain 2 levels of exhaustion or 1 level on a save.

Horwath

Legend
I think this is a terrible change to a great existing condition. It's overly simplified, doesn't actually model being exhausted very well, especially compared to the existing rules, and is no longer scary.
it is scary and it models it pretty well.

you are weaker all across the board by little every level.

there is no binary switch for some things(disadvantage/movement) on not on others.

Edit: I still believe that it need -1 AC per level, to effect HPs in a way.

speed penalty could be -5ft per two levels only, if we are going for 10 levels of it.

Last edited:

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
Agreed, it's a huge improvement. It has a much smoother progression and it's meaningful: every level of exhaustion is like getting a -2 on all your ability scores. It makes exhaustion much easier to use as a mechanic. Dropping to 0HP, maybe failed saves, and maybe even as a another source of Heroic Inspiration at a cost.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As I mentioned earlier, I don't like it. It was a rule that made players pay attention to the exploration pillar. And if it's supposed be a pillar that important rather than hand-waved away, then why neuter the one thing that made it important? With the existing rule, PCs paid attention and made decisions around it. With only a -1 penalty? It's hardly much of an impact any longer. Not only will PCs not balk at getting a level of exhaustion, they won't mind too much to get two or three levels before worrying about it too much.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
As I mentioned earlier, I don't like it. It was a rule that made players pay attention to the exploration pillar. And if it's supposed be a pillar that important rather than hand-waved away, then why neuter the one thing that made it important? With the existing rule, PCs paid attention and made decisions around it. With only a -1 penalty? It's hardly much of an impact any longer. Not only will PCs not balk at getting a level of exhaustion, they won't mind too much to get two or three levels before worrying about it too much.
To my mind, the problem with old exhaustion was that players simply didn't choose it. There was no trade-off. No one ever chose to take exhaustion, it was simply a penalty imposed by an unavoidable situation.

At -1 or -2, a player will make that choice sometimes if the tradeoff is worth it, even though they won't be happy about it. And getting it up to -4 or -5 is legitimately painful and dangerous.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases