Exotic Weapon Master reprise

Zhure

First Post
Was there a consensus? Does the starting exotic weapons for characters (monkish weapons, rogues with hand crossbow) count towards meeting the prerequisites?

Greg

Crothian

First Post
Monk weapons are exotic, so I see no problem with them. And the rogue does have hand crossbow which is an EWP. So, yes, I think these do help with the requirements.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Zhure said:
Was there a consensus? Does the starting exotic weapons for characters (monkish weapons, rogues with hand crossbow) count towards meeting the prerequisites?

Greg

Yep, it looks like they would work.

However, the Rage requirement means at least one level of Barbarian, and it's hard to justify a character with both Monk and Barbarian levels, because of alignment considerations.

(Theoretically you could be a Lawful monk at first level, then change your alignment and go Barbarian at for the next six levels, taking your first Exotic Weapon Master level at character level 8. But it's hard to justify that without obviously ignoring roleplaying.)

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re: Exotic Weapon Master reprise

Caliban said:

However, the Rage requirement means at least one level of Barbarian, and it's hard to justify a character with both Monk and Barbarian levels, because of alignment considerations.

The Rage requirement is also pretty nonsensical - there's nothing in the PrC that builds off of it, there's nothing in the description that suggests that it is necessary, and there's nothing in the concept of an EWM that makes me think "gee, the ability to turn into a frothing lunatic would really fit everyone going into this class".

But that's just my opinion. :cool: I'll be Rule 0ing it...

J

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Exotic Weapon Master reprise

drnuncheon said:

The Rage requirement is also pretty nonsensical - there's nothing in the PrC that builds off of it, there's nothing in the description that suggests that it is necessary, and there's nothing in the concept of an EWM that makes me think "gee, the ability to turn into a frothing lunatic would really fit everyone going into this class".

J

I agree, butI think there needs to be something to replace it. I just don't know what.

Last edited:

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post

drnuncheon said:

Me too. Everybody should, or consider replacing it with "humans only," which was the other suggestion many were making in the other MotW thread.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I think it might have been put in to stop the "one level of monk" cheese to qualify the class. Or they could have been on crack, I don't know.

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post

drnuncheon said:

J

I don't have the book yet. So I may change my mind.

But I get the idea that the flavor of the class is supposed to be highly unorthodox fighting. Forcing some barbarian is a way to force some unorthodox combat into the character.

Not saying it is a perfect explanation, just what I think they were shooting for.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think that they put it because it's a book about rangers, barbarians and druids. It belongs more in S&F honestly.

I would rule zero it as well.

Ancalagon

Remove ads