D&D (2024) Expert Classes - Rules Glossary

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This seriously is the only sensible approach. I cannot believe they went 'you heal to full' followed by 'no not like that' in the first place...
They were trying to hold on to a semblance of the idea that a full night's sleep doesn't actually fix literally everything. But apparently that's too "complex", so let's take something that's already a problem and make it worse.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
This version of hiding has some counterintuitive implications, but it vastly simplified things for the DM, especially when the rogue (or rogues!) hides/shoots every round.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
This version of hiding has some counterintuitive implications, but it vastly simplified things for the DM, especially when the rogue (or rogues!) hides/shoots every round.
That sounds like the solution should be
Q1: Is that bolded bit something the rogue should be able to do?
Q2: If so should it come with a cost or be automatic?
Q3: If with a cost, what cost should this new rogue ability carry & how often should it be allowed?
The hide action is very much the wrong mechanic for "duck behind the fighter & tumble in an unexpected way or something". As a general mechanic it's doubly the wrong mechanic if we are talking about a rogue specific use for sneak attack.[/b]

Micah Sweet

Honestly, I think all of the Skill actions (Hide, Jump, Study, Search, Influence ) in the Glossary need to be scrapped. Just go with DM rulings for all of these situations. It's messy, but it works. At most, return these guidelines to the DMG as helpful advice to DMs on how to rule.
Perhaps they're back to rules over rulings and player supremacy again for 6e.

Micah Sweet

And that is a problem why? If they are guards they are should be taking a search action very round anyway.
Not in most fiction I've seen. Or in real life. Have you ever been told to watch a place? If so, have you actively searched for changes to your surroundings continuously? That's what you're asking for here. It's not Passive Perception.

Remove ads