Explain FATE to me

Halivar

First Post
I picked up both FATE and FATE: Accelerated, and I would like to run Accelerated as a pick up game sometime. But there are some concepts I just plain am not grokking.

What is the difference between the High Concept and the other 2-3 non-Trouble Aspects the book suggests you take? It seemed like the other Aspects were just more High Concepts. Also, I didn't see any examples of these "lesser" Aspects.

What is the deal with Compels? I read the chapter in both FATE and Accelerated and still cannot grasp the purpose behind Compelling an Aspect. Or how it's different than Invoking.

Is there an on-line example of a play session of FATE?

Yora

Legend
I've been starting to get into Fate a few weeks ago, and what I found very helpful is to think of the game not as making the choices what your character does, but narrating what happens to him.

For example, when you're in a room that has "lots of steam randomly comming out of pipes", you could hardly say that you use the steam as cover. However in Fate, you are very well able to state that random blasts of steam keep your enemies from getting a good shot at you. Since you're taking over the story to some degree, you spend a Fate point to "earn this right" to do so.
In the same way, you can decide to take some limited control over enemies, by saying that an NPC gets distracted because of his "hate for aliens". Again, you take control of things that are not your character and have to pay Fate Points.
On the other hand, you get more Fate points by accepting that your character is at a disadvantage in a situation and allow the story to unfold accordingly. Even less so than in other RPGs, the point in Fate is not to win, but to have a cool story. And that's why you create characters with handicaps and drawbacks, because it will make things more exciting and interesting. That's why you can even compell yourself.

I havn't seen it in practice yet, but supposedly your initial pool of Fate Points at the start of the session isn't really that important, as you are constantly getting and spending them all the time. Starting the session with more points only affects how fast you can can throw yourself into the action and go crazy.

The difference between the High Aspect and the secondary aspects doesn't really seem to be much in Fate Accelerated. In Fate Core, they are supposed to represent specific things about your character backstory. The High Aspect is basically your Character Class, while the other ones are meant to represent your backstory, and your previous history with the rest of the party.
I like to use Star Wars example here, since it's well known and easily applicable. At the end of the first movie, Luke Skywalker has the High Archetype "Jedi Student". His backstory is that of a desert farmer who is bored and loves speeders, so the player choses the additioal aspect of "Speeder Lover", which can be used to give him benefits when dealing with vehicles. Then he met Han and Leia during the whole thing with the Death Star, and the player choses the third aspect "Will always come save his friends".
And you could say, in the second movie, the player has to chose to stay with Yoda or go to Bespin, but the player accepts that he gave the character the aspect "will always come save his friends". He gives im, even though logic tells the player it's a trap, and he gets a Fate Point for accepting the compell.
Fate Accelerated shortened the character creation process, so the difference got kinds lost.

Last edited:

Halivar

First Post
Now THAT is really helpful. Thanks, Yora.

So Compelling an Aspect is when they player takes over narration of external story or NPC elements, and Invoking an Aspect with they take over narration of internal character elements?

Rechan

Adventurer

So Compelling an Aspect is when they player takes over narration of external story or NPC elements, and Invoking an Aspect with they take over narration of internal character elements?

Yes, but also the GM is going to be compelling a player's aspects a lot.

But first let me answer your first question. Non-High Concept, non-Trouble Aspects are merely character traits that come up a lot. These are the things that you, the player, want to emphasize about your character, what you want to show up during play. These are double-sided coins, so that the player can use them to his advantage, but the GM can use them against the player when appropriate.

For instance, a character may have "Stubborn as a Mule" as an aspect. This does not define their character (so it's not a high concept), nor is it the real source of all their problems (so not a Trouble), but it's a trait that can also be a flaw. Now, Stubborn as a Mule basically means "I refuse to give up or back down" - so then you think when would that benefit a player, and when would it hamper a player?

The character could invoke this aspect when they are, for instance, being attacked psychically, and they are just too stubborn to be controlled. They could do it when they are losing or cornered, and need that last oomf - they just won't go down! They could use this when they are injured but need to flee.

The DM could use this to his advantage, however, by having an enemy compel this aspect if the enemy is trying to goad the PC into a fight. Or, perhaps the PCs are trying to sell some stolen goods. The group could get a reasonable price, and then the GM looks at the player and says, "But you're Stubborn as a Mule, don't you want a better deal?" He'll give the player a Fate Point if the guy keeps pushing after a reasonable deal, Or the player has to pay a fate point to take the offered cash. This could happen if the players are trying to surrender from a tougher foe, or the cops are trying to make the PCs leave an area. (I am reminded of Marty McFly and the word "Chicken" here.)

Many systems try to emulate the rules of the universe, simulate how the world works. FATE tries to emulate Fiction, and it's about simulating a cool story with big characters. In FATE, characters succeed at things because of WHO and WHAT they are (their Aspects); Batman has just the right gadget for the occasion because he "Has A Gadget For That", Superman can stop a train with his face because he just IS the "Man of Steel".

Once you figure out the aspects of a place, a character, etc, then you want to tag the hell out of them for your advantage. Now, remember that as a player, having your aspects compelled by the DM is a good thing because it gives you more Fate points, and Fate points lets you tag aspects. So you want those Aspects that can be used against you. Sure, it makes things harder on your character, but that's where the fun lives - repercussions based on Who and What your character is, which makes a good story.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
What is the difference between the High Concept and the other 2-3 non-Trouble Aspects the book suggests you take? It seemed like the other Aspects were just more High Concepts. Also, I didn't see any examples of these "lesser" Aspects.

Well they are all Aspects, so there isn't a huge difference between them. However the High Concept is meant to be the core main aspect of the character. That is unlikely to change at all during the game.

Picking a character from my Superhero game...

Hank Harris
High Concept: Shiny New Teen Powerhouse
Trouble: Dangerous Unpredictable Powers

Aspects
I will be my own man!
[sblock]Hank's parents had always smothered him and been over-protective, he rebelled and ran away with people he thought were his friends. It turns out they were only after his parents money, held him for ransom. His powers revealed themselves at this time and he managed to break free from his captures, just before armed gunmen, hired by his parents came to his rescue, killing those that held him hostage.[/sblock]

Strength without limits.
[sblock]Hank tested the limits of his powers thrill seeking and tipping over buses in a depot, but he nearly killed a tramp sleeping rough by accident. Luckily Dallas was around and saved the man.[/sblock]

Cynthia's Knight in Shining Armour
[sblock]Hank was dining in a restaurant in Chinatown when it got attacked for not paying protection to the local Triad. Hank came to the aid of an attractive young waitress, together with another superpowered customer, Travis Blake and together they chases the thugs off.[/sblock]

He is always going to be a Shiny New Teen Powerhouse, but if say Cynthia is killed (or the player loses interest in that plot area) then he will probably change that aspect. Similarly they escape their fathers shadow and drop the I will be my own man aspect, or get a better handle on their powers and change their Trouble. But all of these things are Aspects and can be compelled or invoked. The high concept is essence of the character, while the other aspects speak about what is important about that character at that moment. Although they can be used to reinforce the high concept as well.

What is the deal with Compels? I read the chapter in both FATE and Accelerated and still cannot grasp the purpose behind Compelling an Aspect. Or how it's different than Invoking.

An Invoke is something the player does by spending a FATE Point and picking an aspect that suits the skill check they are rolling to gain and advantage (+2 to the dice roll). So if Cynthia was in trouble Hank could invoke his Cynthia's Knight in Shining Armour aspect to get a bonus on a roll to save her. Or he could invoke his Shiny New Teen Powerhouse High Concept to lift a car above his head.

A compel is usually something the GM does, that suggests a course of action, to the player based on their aspects that if they accept they get a Fate Point. So the GM might present a situation where Cynthia and a bus of school kids are both in danger the GM could suggest a compel that Hank tries to save Cynthia first, but compelling the Cynthia's Knight in Shining Armour aspect.

It is a little more complex than that however.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yes, but also the GM is going to be compelling a player's aspects a lot.

But first let me answer your first question. Non-High Concept, non-Trouble Aspects are merely character traits that come up a lot. These are the things that you, the player, want to emphasize about your character, what you want to show up during play. These are double-sided coins, so that the player can use them to his advantage, but the GM can use them against the player when appropriate.

For instance, a character may have "Stubborn as a Mule" as an aspect. This does not define their character (so it's not a high concept), nor is it the real source of all their problems (so not a Trouble), but it's a trait that can also be a flaw. Now, Stubborn as a Mule basically means "I refuse to give up or back down" - so then you think when would that benefit a player, and when would it hamper a player?

The character could invoke this aspect when they are, for instance, being attacked psychically, and they are just too stubborn to be controlled. They could do it when they are losing or cornered, and need that last oomf - they just won't go down! They could use this when they are injured but need to flee.

The DM could use this to his advantage, however, by having an enemy compel this aspect if the enemy is trying to goad the PC into a fight. Or, perhaps the PCs are trying to sell some stolen goods. The group could get a reasonable price, and then the GM looks at the player and says, "But you're Stubborn as a Mule, don't you want a better deal?" He'll give the player a Fate Point if the guy keeps pushing after a reasonable deal, Or the player has to pay a fate point to take the offered cash. This could happen if the players are trying to surrender from a tougher foe, or the cops are trying to make the PCs leave an area. (I am reminded of Marty McFly and the word "Chicken" here.)

Many systems try to emulate the rules of the universe, simulate how the world works. FATE tries to emulate Fiction, and it's about simulating a cool story with big characters. In FATE, characters succeed at things because of WHO and WHAT they are (their Aspects); Batman has just the right gadget for the occasion because he "Has A Gadget For That", Superman can stop a train with his face because he just IS the "Man of Steel".

Once you figure out the aspects of a place, a character, etc, then you want to tag the hell out of them for your advantage. Now, remember that as a player, having your aspects compelled by the DM is a good thing because it gives you more Fate points, and Fate points lets you tag aspects. So you want those Aspects that can be used against you. Sure, it makes things harder on your character, but that's where the fun lives - repercussions based on Who and What your character is, which makes a good story.

Can I copy this to use to explain to my players?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Not as I remember it. Mind you, the language may vary a bit - Fate Accelerated may say it a little differently than the Dresden Files game, for example.

If the player is calling upon his or her own aspect to create a bonus for themselves or reroll dice, it is "invoking". The GM may also invoke aspects on NPCs

If the player is calling on the aspect of another character, an object, or the location, it is called "tagging". A player may tag some aspects to create a bonus for themselves - if the room has the aspect "Pitch black in here" the player may tag it for a bonus on a roll to sneak across the room. They may also tag an aspect to create an effect (restrict actions or create a complication for another).

The GM may compel. Technically, the player cannot directly compel. The player can, and is encouraged to, suggest compels against themselves to the GM when they are appropriate. Heck, everyone at the table is encouraged to suggest compels for each other. Also player tagging for an effect can then trigger the GM to compel the target (whether the target is another PC or an NPC). It is still the GM that is doing the compelling, however.

Bagpuss

Legend

Erm nope.

The GM is likely to be doing most of the compels. Mainly because whoever suggests the compel has to give a Fate point to the person that accepts it, and players want to be saving their Fate Points to spend on Invokes, to gain a mechanical benefit.

Compels should always introduce a new complexity or problem for the person compelled. Also you don't have to accept a compel, although I think it costs you a Fate Point to refuse one.

Rechan

Adventurer
Compels should always introduce a new complexity or problem for the person compelled. Also you don't have to accept a compel, although I think it costs you a Fate Point to refuse one.

Correct. Because you know, if you're a "Sucker for a Pretty Face" but you know that hot lady is actually a mantis-alien in disguise and she'll eat your head, you just gotta spend a fate point to keep your head.

Remove ads