• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Explain to me why are these feats good?

garyh

First Post
Statistically, some people will have higher rolls than others when you look at their total rolling history. The thing is that the person who currently has a history of rolling high is still no more likely than the other person to roll high in the future.

Unless there really is something about the way he rolls that produces higher results with any die, but that seems unlikely if he's rolling honestly.

This.

Or, to paraphrase Morbo, "DICE DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!"

abyssaldeath

First Post
Of course dice don't work that way, but last time I checked they don't roll themselves. Anyway, this thread has been totally derailed and I appologize.

ac_noj

First Post
Scimitar dance - Adds more damage than any other feat, what's not to like? I'd love it if all 18 of my feat choices added this much damage.

HBO - Good for people who need to be able to make OA's but have poor str scores. However the requirements for this feat are too high and I don't like it much. For specific builds only.

all opportunity feats - If your OA's suck then there's no reason for monsters to avoid them, so really the purpose of these feats are to improve your OA's to a point where you never have to use them. Strange but true. I do think they're over-rated, but for some builds they are very important. Fighters for example prevent movement with OA's, so improving the hit chance of their OA's is key. However they don't really need HBO where as another build might.

all critical feats - Do you mean the feats that improve your crit chance? 5% more crits isn't a lot, but crits do so much extra damage that statistically it's worth having. Just don't ruin your stats to get these feats

Rashak Mani

First Post
What critical feats would these be ? I only remember devastating critical that gives +d10.

- - - - -

As for the dice rolling... we have a friend that consistently has bad luck at rolling. He actually rolls more 6's when that is bad for him. I play board games with him... its the only time Napoleonic troops have starved force marching. (four 6's in six dice.) He is a local chess champion and even with this handicap manages to win games... chess doesn't have luck. :p

Danceofmasks

First Post
Scimitar dance
Cheese a win if you're counting on missing. Definitely pick it up if your build qualifies you for it anyway (yes, it's good), but it's not worth building for.

HBO
Once again, pick it up if your build qualifies you for it. At-wills should be better than basic melee attack, after all. Builds that rely on other stats should not gimp their primary for the str and dex requirement.
On some builds, such as a brawny rogue, it's made of awesome.

all opportunity feats
Which ones do you mean? Blade opportunity is one of my favs on a fighter, because a fighter's OA is just plain better.
I don't bother with most other builds.
Now, for most games, you can't count on getting OAs ... but with crazy high-level tactics such as abusing daze effects and readied charges (to trigger on a dazed enemy's charge), incidental OAs are a lot more common.

all critical feats
Depends entirely on how much you're rolling. You'd be epic tier, after all ...
And if, say, a fighter/swordmaster chooses mostly close burst 1 powers, and has both of the ones that force all nearby mobs to move in, the sheer number of rolls = a fair number of crits.
Now, the crits themselves aren't that great, but the swordmaster gets a power back when he does ...

Now, those feats are nice to have, but are hardly the best.

Nimble blade can be @#$%! if you're tactically minded (and thus get CA usually), and you use a light blade. Like ... oh, a rogue.

Spell focus may be largely wizard only ('cos MC wizards won't have that many wiz powers), but a -2 penalty to saves for all powers is @#$%!.

My most recent fav underrated feat (since superior crossbows in AV):
Steady shooter. Really.
It gives you +3 damage (stacks with everything) if you haven't moved since the end of your last turn.
Shoot before you move every turn, and you're golden.
If you're sticking to the fighter like glue, provoking OAs could get your foe whacked by the fighter, so it's not that bad a deal.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Does anyone actually play frequently at Epic level ?

I see so many discussions about powers at that level... we rarely bother to play that high.

WalterKovacs

First Post
On Critical feats -

This has to do with (a) the ammount of attack rolls you make [Epic Resurgance specifically prevents this] and your crit chances. There are ways to get better than just 1 in 20 for your crit chance [the epic feats, daggermaster, certain daily powers, etc]. The biggest one: The channel Divinity feat from the Forgotten Realms book that gives a crit per encounter, and the cleric powerto give a crit per encounter. Critting a few times, nearly guaranteed, every encounter greatly improves critical based feats and powers.

James McMurray

First Post
Does anyone actually play frequently at Epic level ?

I see so many discussions about powers at that level... we rarely bother to play that high.

We've got a campaign that started at 21st. Most of the PCs just bumped into 24th. Everyone that can has an ability that lets them crit more often than 20. With the number of attack rolls you make, it definitely matters. There are some feats, like the one that gives -2 to attacks and defenses, or the radiant feat, that are too good to pass up if you're making a lot of attacks with that medium.

We've also got a Divine Oracle in the party, so there's a guaranteed crit when they need it.

Check the link in my sig if you're interested in more about how it's gone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads