• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Exploring Eberron Cover

Keith Baker has shared the cover (by Thomas Bourden) of his upcoming Exploring Eberron, which will be available in PDF and hardcover on the DMs Guild. (I know he's posted it before, but this is a nice rendering of the hardcover).

Keith Baker has shared the cover (by Thomas Bourden) of his upcoming Exploring Eberron, which will be available in PDF and hardcover on the DMs Guild.

(I know he's posted it before, but this is a nice rendering of the hardcover).

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 7.10.57 PM.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
At one time, using WotC's trade dress was strictly prohibited under the DM's Guild terms & conditions. They either removed that clause or stopped enforcing it. I'm not sure which.
Really? That's kinda the whole point. Access to trade dress and IP.

dave2008

Legend
At one time, using WotC's trade dress was strictly prohibited under the DM's Guild terms & conditions. They either removed that clause or stopped enforcing it. I'm not sure which.
I don't think it was the whole trade dress, but the logo or something specific. I could be miss-remembering, but almost everything on DMsGuild has similar trade dress and pretty much always had.

dave2008

Legend
Normally on DTRPG it's 35%, so it's only an extra 15% for WotC's trade dress and IP. You'd pay at least 10% on sales or so for any IP license, so it works out on the bare numbers. The other stuff depends on your outlook.
I think DTRPG is either 40% or 45% if you don't sell exclusively through them. I was looking into selling my Zinequest zine through them and other retailers as well and that is what they told me a year ago (I just can't remember the amount).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, when you figure a retailer like Barnes & Noble jacks the price of a book a similar amount, it is not so surprising.

Its a bit more complex than that. The store isn’t just ‘jacking’ the price. The distributor will buy stock off you at say 50% or 60% off. And then sell on to the store at whatever price. And then the store sells it at whatever price they like. There’s a few layers of shipping, warehousing, and distrubution and stuff that’s getting paid for there, and we’re talking physical books not PDFs which have none of that.

The PoD arrangement is a little different. It costs a lot more to print per unit than it would if you did an offset print run (like several times more) and then you pay your commission on top of that. So on DMsG it would work out to more than 50% of the selling price. But you don’t have to pay for a print run up front, or warehouse your stock, or ship it anywhere.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think DTRPG is either 40% or 45% if you don't sell exclusively through them. I was looking into selling my Zinequest zine through them and other retailers as well and that is what they told me a year ago (I just can't remember the amount).
35%, like I said. 30% if exclusive. 50% if with DMs Guild. I’m non-exclusive, and I feel that 35% is fair.

Its posted publicly here:

Remove ads

Remove ads