D&D 5E Exploring Eberron's Map of the Planes

Artist Marco Bernardini created the map of the planes in Keith Baker's new Eberron sourcebook...

Artist Marco Bernardini created the map of the planes in Keith Baker's new Eberron sourcebook (Keith will be on our podcast in two week with three hardcovers to give away). You can grab it from the DMs Guild in full resolution.

Watermark_Low_res.jpg

I could see WoTC using the Eberron supplement for the Eberron setting to see if they want to make something or let Ed create more setting like he did for the border kingdom DMs guild book.

I was literally going to post the same thing - WotC should let Ed and/or some of the other Realms experts make a similar DMs Guild setting guide(s) to fill out the rest of the setting beyond what was covered in SCAG. The Border Kingdoms book was a great read, with a real classic Realms vibe. If they aren't going to do much officially with the rest of the world, let's have more of this sort of "unofficial official" product!

Back on topic, that illustration of Eberron's planes is just plane (sic) beautiful!

Dire Bare

Legend
I was literally going to post the same thing - WotC should let Ed and/or some of the other Realms experts make a similar DMs Guild setting guide(s) to fill out the rest of the setting beyond what was covered in SCAG. The Border Kingdoms book was a great read, with a real classic Realms vibe. If they aren't going to do much officially with the rest of the world, let's have more of this sort of "unofficial official" product!

Back on topic, that illustration of Eberron's planes is just plane (sic) beautiful!
WotC isn't so much "letting" Baker publish Eberron books on the DMsGuild . . . . Baker is simply doing it on his own per the terms of the DMsGuild license. And Greenwood has already done the same with a few Realms products (twice now, I think).

The difference is . . . Baker is the driver behind "Exploring Eberron", while Greenwood is in the back seat for the products he's contributed to on the site (he's a contributing author, and is contributing his name, but others are organizing and doing the primary writing and design).

ChaosOS

Legend
What would be nice is if they could get a better deal - Keith is still losing half the profits to dmsguild (30%) and WotC (20%). Furthermore, I'd really like to see WotC promote the guild more if they're going to use it as a reason why they don't do more content in general.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
WotC isn't so much "letting" Baker publish Eberron books on the DMsGuild . . . . Baker is simply doing it on his own per the terms of the DMsGuild license. And Greenwood has already done the same with a few Realms products (twice now, I think).

The difference is . . . Baker is the driver behind "Exploring Eberron", while Greenwood is in the back seat for the products he's contributed to on the site (he's a contributing author, and is contributing his name, but others are organizing and doing the primary writing and design).

There's also one other thing: Keith Baker seems to ''get'' that player options sell very. ExE isnt just a lore book like the Border Kingdom or the other one I forget, its a deep dive into specific lore AND it adds a bunch of options for players also, much like SCAG. Should Greenwood desire to publish is own take on various parts of the realm, he should really pair with a good mechanics designer to create player content and GM rule variants to go with its publications. Because...well...just another layer of lore...for the Forgotten Realms which are already over-lore'd (its a word now!), is interesting but do not add that much, even if you go with less known corners of the world. For example, the Border Kingdom should've come with settlement building rules and archetypes like Trailblazer fighter or builder wizard , a Cormyr book could feature an ''Audience'' system ala AiME and maybe a new take on the PDK or and a Royal bloodline sorcerer.

I think Ed is slowly retiring from the Realms, letting WotC and the fans create their own stuff, which is okay.

PS: I cant understand why he wont pair with know designer and publish a big ''rogue gallery'' of statblocks for huge realm players. I mean, the overpowered NPC of the realms, even if people whines and whines, are one of the main trope of the setting. I say: embrace it! give us a Mythological Figures and Maleficent Monsters for Drizzt, Wulfgar, the Baerne bunch, Caderly, Elminster etc. I cant wait to see people going mad when they see how Elminster is now a CR 10 spellcaster after the sundering or Drizzt does not have ranger level! :p

How do the planes work in 5E Eberron? Are they round planets with a surface?
There is no canon answer, KB has an "it's up to the DM" policy.

I favour the idea that moons are spherical gateways.

The thing to notice about the OP map is it is created by an in-world character, and in-world characters are unreliable narrators.

ChaosOS

Legend
How do the planes work in 5E Eberron? Are they round planets with a surface?

Chapter 5 of Exploring Eberron goes into great detail, but Dragonmarks: Reaching For The Stars is an article on his blog that goes into some detail. In short, the planes are other dimensions that embody specific ideas - peace, war, innovation, stasis, primal nature, etc. The image in the OP shows little "windows" into each plane.

Remove ads

Remove ads