• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eyes of the Lich Queen

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
DM_Jeff said:
Got it today and am reading through it. I'm truly impressed, mostly because it addresses a lot of concerns I had about "the future of hacking" as laid out in Red Hand of Doom.

We've adapted it so the players in the RPGA's Xen'drik Expeditions campaign can play it and gain XP and treasure for the XE characters. I did the adaptation for Part 1, and it is going to be a lot of fun! Very good adventure that really hits on a lot of the best parts of the Eberron setting.

Shawn

Sidekick

First Post
I was wondering what you lot (adventure designers opinions MORE than welcome) would do to make this adventure a challenge for 7 PCs?

My next group that I'm running I'll be taking them through either EotLQ or RHoD. I've got RHoD semi-sorted but to be honest I've never DMed a group of 7 players and would greatly appreciate any advice that people could give me about making this great adventure a suitable challenge for a 7 strong party.

Thanks! :)

Crothian

First Post
For a larger group I would have them be a level lower then is suggested for the parts of the module. I'd also be tempted to advance or add a few monsters here and there depending on what is in the group. I tailor all my adventures for my group and our campaign so I would do that as well. :D

Glyfair

Explorer
smerwin29 said:
We've adapted it so the players in the RPGA's Xen'drik Expeditions campaign can play it and gain XP and treasure for the XE characters. I did the adaptation for Part 1, and it is going to be a lot of fun! Very good adventure that really hits on a lot of the best parts of the Eberron setting.

Good to hear. I doubt I'll get to use it that way, but it's nice to have that option.

Unfortunately, the lack of adventures before the level bump pretty much killed any momentum the game had in my area. It was especially bad since it immediately followed the holiday dead spot (it's almost impossible to hold an organized game during December with more that 50% of typical attendance).

wayne62682

First Post
Thoughts [SPOILERS]

I skimmed through it at the bookstore recently (no need to buy it yet because I don't have a real-life group). I thought it was done VERY well, and read/flowed like a real pulp movie. I only had two minor issues with it:

• Too many "classed" NPC mooks. I'm guessing this was done because NPC levels really don't scale when the PCs are mid/high level, but I would have thought for Eberron that a standard mook wouldn't be a Fighter, but a Warrior instead. A very, very minor point, and not a big deal.
  • Still keeping the standard topes certain places.
    The guy who hires the party is really a silver dragon; the BBEG is a blue dragon. I wish they would have preferred if they did something to show that Eberron dragons aren't color-coded, and have the good guy be a chromatic dragon and the bad guy be a metallic.

All in all though, I absolutely loved the adventure. It's one of the best I've seen.

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
Glyfair said:
Good to hear. I doubt I'll get to use it that way, but it's nice to have that option.

Unfortunately, the lack of adventures before the level bump pretty much killed any momentum the game had in my area. It was especially bad since it immediately followed the holiday dead spot (it's almost impossible to hold an organized game during December with more that 50% of typical attendance).

That's strange. We released a bunch of adventures just before the level bump. In fact, the main complaint I heard was that there wasn't enough time to play all the adventures we released before the level bump. Perhaps you are thinking of Mark of Heroes and not Xen'drik Expeditions? There were 28 rounds of Xen'drik Expeditions adventures released between GenCon in August and the level bump in January.

Glyfair

Explorer
smerwin29 said:
That's strange. We released a bunch of adventures just before the level bump. In fact, the main complaint I heard was that there wasn't enough time to play all the adventures we released before the level bump. Perhaps you are thinking of Mark of Heroes and not Xen'drik Expeditions? There were 28 rounds of Xen'drik Expeditions adventures released between GenCon in August and the level bump in January.

Nope. December really had horrible turnout because of the holidays, and contact with players to schedule a date was spotty which meant the brief window available in January closed too soon for us.

There were adventures we hadn't played, but by the time we could schedule some (knowing we'd have 4 players) we couldn't.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Thank goodness. My axe was getting wicked sharp grinding against that particular point. Anyone know if the same fix was applied for Demonweb?

Yes, same with Demonweb Pits, all monsters are referenced with book and page #.

-DM Jeff

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads