• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eyes of the Lich Queen

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
Glyfair said:
Nope. December really had horrible turnout because of the holidays, and contact with players to schedule a date was spotty which meant the brief window available in January closed too soon for us.

There were adventures we hadn't played, but by the time we could schedule some (knowing we'd have 4 players) we couldn't.

Ah! Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

ragboy

Explorer
wayne62682 said:
All in all though, I absolutely loved the adventure. It's one of the best I've seen.

I have to echo wayne's sentiments. I got it a few days ago and am about 3/4 of the way through.

This is definitely the best Eberron adventure that's been published by WotC. (Of course, everyone knows that Dungeon has had all the Eberron goodness so far -- with Logue reigning supreme, in my opinion).

Highlights:

* The
ninja-pirate
gave me a chuckle.

* Start with the action and flashback to the fluff-- not sure who's idea this was, but it's straight Lester Dent pulp and I've used this method for several adventures. Nothing gets everyone at the table more focused (and scared) than calling for an initative roll before "opening flavor text."

Giant Zombie Squid Suspended from the ceiling
- Different!

* And on that subject -- Lots of interesting combat settings. Stuff to jump from, knock down, unstable areas... I find myself retrofitting any published adventures I've run in recent times due to the "Tunnels of Doom" type 20x20 rooms devoid of features (other than in the flavor text and the orc and his pie).

* I liked all the named NPC's. Very distinctive, all running on their own agendas, lots of "character."

I don't have much on the lowlights...just a couple of things:

Possibly a couple of editing oversights. I don't have details, but I know there was one encounter specifically that references the "Treasure" section, but that section does not exist on the encounter page or the original room description page. I could have missed it...Couple of spots where Emerald Claw are said to use their potions of protection from good in the text, but the equipment doesn't appear in their statblocks. I'm not much of a statblock troll, but that stood out.

* The gray sidebars in the encounter format, with black text and swirly gray wallpaper that bleeds through -- Too hard to read! Fade that dang "wallpaper" and lighten that grey sidebar background!

Needed a better map of the estate. It's a very precarious arrangement and I would have liked to see possibly a side-view or at least an "area view" of the estate. Also, where the heck are the display cases in the "sunken" hall? Don't appear on the map, or I'm blind.

Overall, I think the authors spent a lot of time and energy ensuring that the adventure was world-spanning, quick moving, and packed with intrigue and interesting combats. Very pulp, exactly as Eberron was originally advertised (and hasn't delivered in published adventures, imbp), and has set the bar for adventures to come.

Anyway. The opportunity to rave about a product hasn't presented itself lately, and this is definitely one to rave about. Highly recommended.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I got it! And I love it! :)

I just have one gripe. The map not included.
If you have the best artists on the planet and the opportunity to make a treasure map - why oh why would you opt to not make one? Mindboggling.

I think I like the traps of the temple best so far. Very Indy-esque.

I'm looking forward to run this adventure. So much in fact that I'll reschedule our next session to sunday instead of next saturday.

I've got the perfect NPC to play Sur'kil and the party just turned 5th level. This is gonna be a blast!

ragboy

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
So much in fact that I'll reschedule our next session to sunday instead of next saturday.

I'm definitely going to use it in our ongoing Eberron campaign. I have to retrofit it into the ongoing story, and the characters are close to 7th level. At this exact moment, they've just finished looting a heavily modified Whitehearth, and as they stick their heads out into the fresh air, having recovered the required schema and pattern, the BBEG descends to take it from them (ala Belloch in Indy). This fight is tough enough that they might lose. If they do, I think they'll be off to
Dreadhold as miner slaves
and a pick up of a modification of that storyline. So, their hook will probably be
the tatooed gnome and the escape from prison which leads back down the coast to the estate, then a modified Q'barra, then back up to the final set piece.

I also considered having the characters escape from Dreadhold with a certain albino gargoyle, cowardly shifter, etc etc.

The great thing is that this arc fits nicely into my "Horror on the Karnnathi Express" campaign arc.

Last edited:

Nlogue

First Post
Ragboy! I love your structure revamp! Put em in the Hold! Brilliant!

Oh and...

ragboy said:
I also considered having the characters escape from Dreadhold with a certain albino gargoyle, cowardly shifter, etc etc.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Frostmarrow

First Post
Nlogue, why is the map missing? The sidebar says its missing but why? It could have been beautiful (and handy). :)

Great work! Top marks all around.

Nlogue

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
Nlogue, why is the map missing? The sidebar says its missing but why? It could have been beautiful (and handy). :)

Great work! Top marks all around.

Hmmmm...don't have my copy of the final version yet...no map? You mean no map of the island with the little clue thingees on them?!?!

Sadness. :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads