• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fair warning??

reveal

Adventurer
This is just too funny. From the FAQ for the new Dungeons and Dragons Online game:

[NEW] In PnP D&D, characters can get taken out very quickly by instant death spells (Finger of Death, Disintegrate, etc.). How will these spells be handled in DDO?

According to our resident PnP D&D expert, most DMs reserve these types of spells for special encounters, and give their characters fair warning before facing them. We’re taking the same approach in DDO – high-level characters don’t have to deal with these spells every time they turn a corner, but they probably want to be protected by a death ward spell before they take on that really powerful necromancer.

"Fair warning?" HA! Who writes this stuff?! :lol:

palleomortis

First Post
"Ok, just so you know, you may want to make sure and.." ZPPPPPHHH!!! "Nevermind, looks like you found out the hard way. Well, now ya' know, don't ya!"

BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!!!!

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
According to our resident PnP D&D expert, most DMs reserve these types of spells for special encounters, and give their characters fair warning before facing them.
Maybe they define 'Expert' as 'Dude who has talked with 2 - maybe even 3 (gasp!) - different DMs in a gaming store, most of whom actually droned on about their kewl campaign instead of answering his questions.'

palleomortis

First Post
Actually, I think expert is ment as somone who lives long enoughe to say the word "expert", that or they quallify it as somoen who has had the experience enough time to be called an expert.

"First you will feal a tingling sensation, then you will start to hilusinate, and then it all just goes black! Trust me, I would know."

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Isn't it fair warning the instant the DM says something along the lines of "Who ate the last of the chips" or "Who drank the last 7-Up?"

Jupp

Explorer
philreed said:
Isn't it fair warning the instant the DM says something along the lines of "Who ate the last of the chips" or "Who drank the last 7-Up?"

If that quote comes from the villain in D&D Online right after he transformed you into a splotch on the floor I will buy this game, instantly.

Henry said:
Different needs in D&D online versus the paper game, I guess.

But I'd expect it to be the reverse. The online game has got to be a whole lot more forgiving of player death than the PnP game (for economic reasons, if nothing else). Throwing an insta-kill at a MMORPG avatar who has hundreds of other players around who can rez him is a lot less dangerous than in a PnP game where it can result in a TPK.

OTOH, given the wussification of MMORPGs, I'm not surprised.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads