• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fair warning??

palleomortis

First Post
Henry said:
Different needs in D&D online versus the paper game, I guess.

Yea. Like, um...let's see...DEATH!! SLOW, PAINFULL, DEATH. AS YOUR SOUL IS RIPPED FROM YOUR MORTAL BODY AND EVERY NERVE IN YOU BODY BURNS WHITE HOW AS THO YOU ARE BEING SUCKED INTO THE MIND OF THE DEVIL HIMSELF!!!!!:eek:

(MAN, I love this game!:p )

Dracomeander

First Post
philreed said:
Isn't it fair warning the instant the DM says something along the lines of "Who ate the last of the chips" or "Who drank the last 7-Up?"

And the player saves with "On it. Anything else you need me to pick up? I'll be back in 15 minutes."

Jupp

Explorer
It would be an interesting feature of D&D:O if the player could switch to "PnP" mode where death is permanent (Death = roll new character). If you see a PC in PnP mode that is level 15 or so you can tell that he earned that level :) I would be highly intrigued by such a game mode.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
philreed said:
Isn't it fair warning the instant the DM says something along the lines of "Who ate the last of the chips" or "Who drank the last 7-Up?"

I make sure I'm buffed up before the session even starts, offering the DM a can of Carling 1st thing usually takes care of most unpleasantries. ;)

Oryan77

Adventurer
BBEG: "Muah-HA-HA, Welcome to my secret underground hideout my friends! I see you have made it past all of my minions and managed to make it to my personal quarters. To be fair, I feel that I must warn you....when we begin combat, I will most likely start off by casting Finger of Death followed by Disintegrate. If you are not ready for that, you may wish to step out of the room, better prepare your defenses, and confront me when you feel confident enough to fight."

No wonder my newer players complain when I hit them with encounters that they aren't prepared for or can't defeat in a straight fight.

This logic must work in RL too. If a guy at the bar is about to pound you for staring at his girlfriend, make sure to ask him if he's trained in martial arts or a professional boxer so you know if you should fight or not.

shaylon

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I consider the fact that the spells are in the PHB, and the players have a copy of said book, to constitute 'fair warning'. :]

You said it perfectly! People get 'fair warning' in the PHB. Of course they might be marketing it to a broader audience who doesn't have a PHB but I say screw them! Part of the game is knowing that if you screw up royally, you are starting back at level 1.

-Shay

palleomortis

First Post
This logic must work in RL too. If a guy at the bar is about to pound you for staring at his girlfriend, make sure to ask him if he's trained in martial arts or a professional boxer so you know if you should fight or not.

Or just bring a bat or a crow bar.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Jupp said:
It would be an interesting feature of D&D:O if the player could switch to "PnP" mode where death is permanent (Death = roll new character). If you see a PC in PnP mode that is level 15 or so you can tell that he earned that level :) I would be highly intrigued by such a game mode.

30 seconds lag... and you'd be seeing a lot of abuse from those characters... Killed before computer caught up to present situation - not a normal cause of death in PnP games. :)

Fair warning for death magic... I do this... Generally the first time in a campaign it's likely to be used against them I'll make it very clear. But I really hate (suprise) death by single dice roll...

yennico

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I consider the fact that the spells are in the PHB, and the players have a copy of said book, to constitute 'fair warning'. :]
I totally agree. If the players can use these spells the NPCs also can use this spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads