Falcon and winter solider

Staffan

Legend
Well really Wakanda needs to get past this whole hereditary monarchy/trial by combat stuff. They've got a ton of cool technology and apparently a high standard of living, but their political theory seemingly doesn't care about the consent of the governed.
There does seem to be an element of consent from tribal leaders. When Killmonger shows up, he first makes his case before the tribal council, who decides that yes, his challenge is valid.

We don't really know how the council members are appointed. They are called "elders", but I don't think it's as simple as "the oldest person in the tribe". W'Kabi certainly doesn't seem like an "elder". One might think that having a system where power is vested in representatives that may or may not be democratically elected, and that might represent different population sizes based on archaic traditions is bad, but some countries get to do that today and be called democratic.
(Yes, that's a dig at the USA in general and the Senate in particular.)

I'm sure the MCU's target audience would go gaga over a Black Panther 2 that delves deep into political philosophy.
Matt Colville made a video where he took a look at Black Panther from a political perspective and how it demonstrated the nature of power. A notable thing is that while T'Challa is king, it is his disregard for W'Kabi's wishes regarding Wakanda's role in the world in general and the pursuit of Klaue in particular that leads to W'Kabi's support for Killmonger's claim, without which the claim wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

Anyway, I know they've said they won't recast T'Challa, but T'Challa could decide to focus on being the ruler of Wakanda, enacting reforms and handling the politics, while a new person takes on the mantle of Black Panther. Right now, I'm rather smitten with Aldis Hodge. He had a great presence in One Night in Miami. Aldis Hodge - IMDb
I haven't seen that one, but he was amazing on Leverage.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't seen that one, but he was amazing on Leverage.

Hodge just finished up on Leverage: Redemption, and is currently working on Black Adam, playing Carter Hall/Hawkman. Since both Black Adam and Black Panther 2 are expected in 2022, he's unlikely to make it into the Marvel movie.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We don't really know how the council members are appointed. They are called "elders", but I don't think it's as simple as "the oldest person in the tribe". W'Kabi certainly doesn't seem like an "elder". One might think that having a system where power is vested in representatives that may or may not be democratically elected, and that might represent different population sizes based on archaic traditions is bad, but some countries get to do that today and be called democratic.
(Yes, that's a dig at the USA in general and the Senate in particular.)
We don't know how they're appointed, but the implication of the challenge is that their blood may be royal within their own tribes. But with respect to representative institutions, sometimes a more important consideration than just population size is pluralism. Since Wakanda is a coalition of tribes, their government was probably set up so that no single tribe could be cut out of political consideration through a power-sharing arrangement where each has a seat at the table. This is a significant issue in multi-ethnic states or states with other major cleavages between population where a minority might be small enough to be perpetual but large enough that they shouldn't be ignored as they might be with a democratic system based solely on population (Northern Ireland is a classic example, as is Belgium).
(Democracy is harder than it looks.)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Well, not quite, it was the basic setup was a clone of Jarvis, and they were using alien tech to go beyond what Tony knew how to do.
No, they didn't. Jarvis was running the tests. There was no Jarvis in Ultron. There was Jarvis in Vision.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, they didn't. Jarvis was running the tests. There was no Jarvis in Ultron. There was Jarvis in Vision.
That argument happen one thousand years ago, my dude.

Also, I'm pretty sure that yeah, the software framework for the AI Tony was building was based on Jarvis. That's at least the implication of the scenes where they're working on it initially.

The Vision situation is completely different from "an ai based on Jarvis", since Vision was made by Tony straight up trying to give Jarvis a super body, resulting in Jarvis essentially dying to create/become Vision.

Remove ads