Falcon and winter solider

Yep, this is probably one of the number one assumptions you have to make to keep yourself sane while watching these shows and movies. You just have to assume there is always some good reason that the other superheroes don't come to join in.....because if this was "realistic", of course all of the superheroes would join in on these global level threats, it would be silly that they wouldn't.
Actually, I think this is completely wrong. The world is a big place, there are multiple crises happening all the time. It would be silly if all the superpowered individuals did turn up to every crisis. Even when the superhero has instantaneous travel and communication, that just means they are covering a larger area, and thus have more crises to field. That goes double for galactic heroes like Captain Marvel. The FBI/Scotland Yard do not handle every crime. And then there are jurisdictional issues. Local law enforcement get upset when the FBI take over. And even more upset when Jessica Fletcher takes over. Jessica Fletcher being a prime example of the ridiculousness of a character who manages to be at the location of pretty much every murder in the USA.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I kinda feel like while Sam’s journey to becoming Cap was interesting, the entire show could not exist without Marvel continuity being affected one but. At the end of Endgame Steve gives Sam the shield. At the beginning of the next Cap movie he’ll start as Captain America. He’s in the same position at the end of this series as he was at the end of Endgame.

I get why — they can’t have you needing to see the TV shows to make sense of the movies, so the events of the show can’t really affect the movie timeline. But it leaves me feel a little unsatisfied.

Still, I enjoyed the show. Very much looking forward to Loki!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At the end of Endgame Steve gives Sam the shield. At the beginning of the next Cap movie he’ll start as Captain America. He’s in the same position at the end of this series as he was at the end of Endgame.

He is physically in the same position. Psychologically? Not at all. In terms of public acceptance of him in the role? Not at all.

I believe a major point of the show in fact is, "Having the shield and punching does not make you Captain America."

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I call it subtle, because up to the last episode, the show had stuck to subtext rather than text. To me the message was pretty clear, but my friend didn't realize what the boat scene was about until I pointed it out to her. Then she pointed out that the kids kept referring to Sam as Uncle Sam, and now I felt dumb for not picking up on THAT.

But I like this way of presenting a message about current social issues. Just as long as they don't have a character turn to the camera and give a lecture. I feel a show is more powerful when it makes you think about its message, rather than telling you what its message is.
I actually find the discourse necessary. Sam had to find a way to strong arm the powers that be into accepting him being Captain America. What better than having him give a patriotic yet radical discourse on National TV?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I kinda feel like while Sam’s journey to becoming Cap was interesting, the entire show could not exist without Marvel continuity being affected one but. At the end of Endgame Steve gives Sam the shield. At the beginning of the next Cap movie he’ll start as Captain America. He’s in the same position at the end of this series as he was at the end of Endgame.

I get why — they can’t have you needing to see the TV shows to make sense of the movies, so the events of the show can’t really affect the movie timeline. But it leaves me feel a little unsatisfied.
It's going to be hard to imagine WandaVision not affecting the movie timeline. So I don't think the separation of the Disney+ shows is as strict as Agents of Shield and other Marvel shows on other networks has been.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's going to be hard to imagine WandaVision not affecting the movie timeline. So I don't think the separation of the Disney+ shows is as strict as Agents of Shield and other Marvel shows on other networks has been.
If they re-introduce the new Vision into the movies, yeah, that will need some kind of in-movie explanation as to why he's not dead. Otherwise Wanda's status hasn't particularly changed I don't think.

Janx

Hero
I actually find the discourse necessary. Sam had to find a way to strong arm the powers that be into accepting him being Captain America. What better than having him give a patriotic yet radical discourse on National TV?
Besides that, I want to hear what Sam has to say.

Somebody upthread was griping about not wanting to be preached to.

You know what? I came to hear the sermon, so let the Brother speak.

Amen.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I never really got the sense that the audience was supposed to take Steve Rogers' moral preening (who I love by the way) at face value. I don't think Sam is expected to be the voice of truth either.

Remove ads