Falcon and winter solider

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You know what? I came to hear the sermon, so let the Brother speak.

Amen.

Yeah. You know, there is something to be said for a hero just putting out there the thing that is right. I liked it here. I liked it with Rogers laying out, "Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every. Time." I like "With great Power comes great responsibility." All of those...

Superheroes are, among other things, modern mythology. Making statements like that is part of the point.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I never really got the sense that the audience was supposed to take Steve Rogers' moral preening (who I love by the way) at face value. I don't think Sam is expected to be the voice of truth either.

What do you mean by "truth"? It is entirely possible for Sam (and Steve, before him) to not have the facts straight at any given moment. They aren't infallible.

However, part of Captain America is.... about doing the Right Thing. On any real moral question, you can depend on Cap to be on the right side of the issue, insofar as that is possible. This, more than anything else, is why folks felt the Hydra-Cap from the comics to be a violation of ethos.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
What do you mean by "truth"? It is entirely possible for Sam (and Steve, before him) to not have the facts straight at any given moment. They aren't infallible.

However, part of Captain America is.... about doing the Right Thing. On any real moral question, you can depend on Cap to be on the right side of the issue, insofar as that is possible. This, more than anything else, is why folks felt the Hydra-Cap from the comics to be a violation of ethos.

They do what they think is right, but I never assumed the audience was supposed to take that as an endorsement of their views. I mean a significant part of Steve Rogers' character is that he is relentlessly stubborn to a fault.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
They do what they think is right, but I never assumed the audience was supposed to take that as an endorsement of their views. I mean a significant part of Steve Rogers' character is that he is relentlessly stubborn to a fault.
Is it? Pretty sure he has changed his mind about stuff plenty in the comics, when someone shows him a compelling enough argument that he is wrong.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They do what they think is right, but I never assumed the audience was supposed to take that as an endorsement of their views.

To quote Tom Lehrer, "It takes a certain amount of courage to get up in a coffee house or college auditorium and come out in favor of the things everyone else in the audience is against... like peace, and justice, and brotherhood, and so on..."

It would not be inaccurate to say that Captain America was created by a couple of Jews for purposes of punching Nazis in the face. I don't think he is at risk of taking moral stances the company would be embarrassed by.

I mean a significant part of Steve Rogers' character is that he is relentlessly stubborn to a fault.

In the MCU, the one time that leads him into moral or ethical trouble, he stops before he does something he'll regret. And that moment is used as a mirror for Walker, who doesn't stop at the equivalent moment.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
besides that, literally, the Dora showed up to help. Kind of. :)
177379076_2922381488029943_3502075089670233211_n.jpg

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
that cracks me up. We need one for "Finding Zemo"
I can just picture pointing at the sea behind them excitedly. "He's on the Raft! The Raft!"

Though really, the part that gets me is the Winter Soldier arm on Boots.

Stalker0

Legend
Actually, I think this is completely wrong. The world is a big place, there are multiple crises happening all the time. It would be silly if all the superpowered individuals did turn up to every crisis. Even when the superhero has instantaneous travel and communication, that just means they are covering a larger area, and thus have more crises to field. That goes double for galactic heroes like Captain Marvel. The FBI/Scotland Yard do not handle every crime. And then there are jurisdictional issues. Local law enforcement get upset when the FBI take over. And even more upset when Jessica Fletcher takes over. Jessica Fletcher being a prime example of the ridiculousness of a character who manages to be at the location of pretty much every murder in the USA.
It’s not about showing up to everything, but certain high profile cases make the list...aka the stuff exciting enough to generate movies and tv shows.

like with Wanda vision, no one is going to call Dr Strange when an entire town is being rewritten by magic powers? At face value the answer seems to be no.

in my head cannon, someone tried and couldn’t get a ahold of him for whatever reason. And done, we move on.

I just assume this happens in every big league issue off camera

Remove ads