Falcon and winter solider

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In contrast, the head of Sword is on point for most of it. He sees Wanda for exactly what she is....an enemy of extraordinary power who has taken an entire town hostage, and when confronted, shows no remorse and no desire to stop her actions. He uses that drone to take the one shot he's got to take out the terrorist (which Wanda absolutely is at that point)....sure it doesn't work, but against Wanda I mean what would? Sure the guy had an evil agenda, and turned into a mustache twirling villain by the end (which was so stupid....sigh), but honestly for a lot of the show he was right.
He turned into a mustache-twirling villain before the start of the show when he intentionally antagonized a powerful sorceress* who just returned from the Blip and is in triple grief - killing her beloved, watching someone else kill her beloved, and having the cause for which she killed her beloved fail because she had delayed so she blames herself for all of what happened. Oh, and then lying about it to everyone else and framing her for stealing it. (None of this excuses her - it just paints him correctly from the get-go.)

Sorry, he started stupid, villainous (with the frame) and antagonistic. Just because many of his actions are parallel to what someone who was trying to do right would do does make it any less so.

* Required "Captain America and the Winter Soldier" series reference to keep it on topic. She has no hat and is therefore a sorceress. Thank you Sam for your flexible taxonomy.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm probably in the minority here, but who would you cast as Harry Dresden?
I would have liked the one from the tv series despite some people not liking that.
I really liked Paul Blackthorne in the role. But then again, I've loved him in everything I've seen him do!
How about Christian Kane? Maybe a little long in the tooth for younger Harry at the beginning of the series, but he call pull of midwestern slugger to snark to gravitas to action to code-of-morals-that-will-never-break. And can actually play guitar once Lash comes around.

I would argue the head of Sword at least for most of the show is not stupid, he's just evil. He's much less of an imbecile than Monica is, who:

Your opinion of Monica has no bearing on whether or not the S.W.O.R.D guy's an idiot.

I feel like much of this was already covered in the WandaVision thread, but a couple of things worth mentioning...
-The SWORD guy causes Wanda's breakdown when he shows her Vision's body. It's his stupidity that causes her pain to go supernova and engulf the town.
-Wanda is not intentionally torturing the townsfolk, it's more that they can feel her pain, that she's radiating grief. (A metaphor for how someones trauma can also be painful for those around them perhaps?)

Darcy knows Dr Selwick that have worked with Avengers and likely have some kind of contact number for at least a few of them.
Selvig knows Thor, who is in space, and doesn't own a phone, Nat, who is dead, Tony, who is dead, Steve, who is retired, Clint, who is retired, Nick Fury, who is a skrull, and Banner, who is injured. So, say Darcy overcomes her ego and decided she is out of her depth. She phones Selvig and manages to get through despite the time zone difference. Selvig phones Banner, and manages to get through, despite the time zone difference. Selvig manages to persuade Banner that he is a) needed (even though he isn't), and b) wants to get involved (even though Banner dislikes fighting and knows nothing about magic). Banner hops on a Greyhound bus (because he is too big for a moped now, and couldn't steer anyway with his arm in a sling), and 24 hours later arrives in Westview. Where he finds there is nothing he can science and nothing he can smash.

MarkB

Legend
Selvig knows Thor, who is in space, and doesn't own a phone, Nat, who is dead, Tony, who is dead, Steve, who is retired, Clint, who is retired, Nick Fury, who is a skrull, and Banner, who is injured. So, say Darcy overcomes her ego and decided she is out of her depth. She phones Selvig and manages to get through despite the time zone difference. Selvig phones Banner, and manages to get through, despite the time zone difference. Selvig manages to persuade Banner that he is a) needed (even though he isn't), and b) wants to get involved (even though Banner dislikes fighting and knows nothing about magic). Banner hops on a Greyhound bus (because he is too big for a moped now, and couldn't steer anyway with his arm in a sling), and 24 hours later arrives in Westview. Where he finds there is nothing he can science and nothing he can smash.
But to be fair, Banner does know Dr Strange.

But to be fair, Banner does know Dr Strange.
So he goes round to Bleaker Street and discovers Doctor Strange is watching WandaVision on Bain's Facimilator.

It's well established that Strange has the means to detect and monitor magical anomalies without having to go there in person.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Clint, who is retired
Even retired, Clint was a close friend with Wanda, or at least had a connection. His words convinced her in Avengers: Age of Ultron to join them against Ultron, he was sent to break her out of the Avengers compound in Captain America: Civil War (and she actually used her powers against Vision (!), though her feelings for Vision were just forming at the time), and she and Clint bonded at the end of Avengers: Endgame after Tony's funeral.

As you say, this was not a situation that called for science or smashing, but maybe needed a good friend. Of course, I doubt Darcy or Selvig knew of the bond between Clint and Wanda. Bruce might, but he was away for much of the above. Additionally, Clint is still dealing with his own issues at this time, but it would have been an interesting element to bring in.

MarkB

Legend
So he goes round to Bleaker Street and discovers Doctor Strange is watching WandaVision on Bain's Facimilator.

It's well established that Strange has the means to detect and monitor magical anomalies without having to go there in person.
When you say well-established, we've seen him do it once, during his cameo in Thor Ragnarok, and that was when Thor and Loki bampfed directly into New York City.

When magic-using aliens turned up in Avengers Infinity War, he literally had to hear the panicked screams outside the front door to know they were there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases