Fall '03 Iron DM Tournament -- Wulf Ratbane is Iron DM!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Pielorinho said:
Very true -- so much so that in hobgoblin, they're the same word.

Hmm, actually I like that. It says something about their culture. Consider that yoinked for the emerging hobgoblin culture of Aquerra.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Okay, a final comment from me, sort of an exposition on my judging.

My thanks to all the contestants in this round: everyone was gracious and polite, with no sore losers. I think these contests depend on trusting the judge's instincts, and if anyone didn't trust mine, well, they kept quiet about it, which is almost as good :). Y'all brought forth some great stories, with a lot of elements I'm looking forward to stealing for my games.

Folks (especially Wulf) mentioned pandering to the judge. To be honest, I deliberately encouraged that. Some contestants know me a lot better than others, and I didn't want them to have an unfair advantage; that's why I told everyone in the beginning how best to pander to me, how to write entries that I'd like. Hopefully that mini-essay levelled the playing field somewhat.

One of the harder parts of judging this was separating my opinions of the stories from my knowledge of the contestants and my expectations of how the contest would happen. It's easy for me to recognize that I go into a round expecting contestant A to have a stronger entry than contestant B; it's difficult to tell whether I'm letting that expectation influence my judgment. I wish there were a way for entries to be anonymous, so that I wouldn't have had to worry about that; unfortunately, I couldn't think of a practical way to put this into effect. Several observers told me they agreed with my judgments, though, so hopefully I was able to set my expectations successfully to one side.

Thanks again to everyone, and I look forward to sitting back and watching the next tournament. I hadn't realized how exhausting it could be to judge one of these.

Daniel

Remove ads