• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fall Ceramic DM - Final Round Judgment Posted!

dreaded_beast

First Post
Hmm, Wednesday night is my DND night, so I would prefer to do it sooner than later.

However, if I understand the rules correctly, we have 72 hours after the pictures have been posted to come up with something right? So does that mean I have 72 hours after my scheduled round to come up with my story/adventure?

If that is the case, then Wednesday would be fine.

mythago

Hero
Yes. I can see how that would be confusing--to clarify, the time listed for a round is the time when the pictures will be posted, NOT the deadline. So, dreaded_beast, your pics go up Wednesday night but your story is not due until Saturday night.

Please note that the timestamp matters. If I post a set of pics on Monday at 8:35 p.m., then entries are due Thursday at 8:35 p.m. If you get them up at 9:00 p.m. you're too late, even though it is "Thursday night."

dreaded_beast

First Post
Ok, good to go then.

Can't wait till tommorrow. I assume the pictures and all queries related for this season of Cermic DM can be addressed in this thread?

Thanks!

BSF

Explorer
Dreaded_Beast, thanks for pointing that out. I will try to think of a way to make that very clear in the FAQ.

To clarify. Each pairing has a different set of pics. So, the pics for Macbeth/Halivar will be different than the pics for Rodrigo Istalindir/Alsih2o, which will be different than the pics for Dreaded_Beast/Firelance, etc.

Once the pics are posted, you have up to 72 hours to turn in the story based on those pics. We are a global community, so compute that 72 hours for your local time.

A couple of pointers:
For maximum effect, treat your pics as the "illustrations" for your story. If a publisher is going to use illustrations, trivial details won't be chosen to be illustrated. You should strive to integrate each picture in a meaningful manner to your story. If you don't, but your opponent does, your opponent is more likely to be advanced to the next round.

It is _hard_ to do this, but that is the challenge of the competition.

Also, you will generally be marked down for using the pictures as pictures within the story. Sure, you can do it, but you are taking a risk with it.

Picture use is one of the most important aspects of the Ceramic DM. Grammar and spelling are important as well, but the pictures are your ingredients. This is like the Iron Chef. You are given ingredients and you need to use those ingredients as creatively as possible.

Oh, and a word of advice. If your computer says it's 1:15, but EN World says it's 1:17, listen to EN World. I almost got disqualified by turning something in according to my clock. Now, according to www.time.gov, EN World's clock is fast, but oh well.

MarauderX

Explorer
I may have missed this, but are we to have a minimum of 5000 words for the first round, 6k for the second and so on?

Sunday morning works great for me, I hope we get a set of good pics to work with. Are you ready for it BigTom?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
mythago said:
Since Steel Draco came in last, we sacrifice him to the gods for good luck on the battlefield....Oh! Wait! Wrong notes. My bad.

Steel Draco, if we get one more straggler in by Friday, I'll be happy to put you and they in as 1.8. Otherwise, you are an alternate should somebody develop terminal writer's cramp.

Live dangerously, that's what I say. One can not improve if one does not write. If there's still space, I'm in, and can go with photos on Sunday night or any time Monday. Last time I got booted in round one on a story I really liked; let's see if my sensibilities match the judges' this time. :D

BSF

Explorer
Mwuhahahahah

Piratecat has been sucked back into the fold and will try for the elusive Ceramic DM title.

Most excellent. It looks to be a great round with a varietyof experienced competitors and those trying for the first time. It will be fun to watch the competition unfold.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm unfolding my competition RIGHT NOW. Turns out it's bigger than it looks from the outside, IYKWIM, AITYD. I'm going into this with a very zen attitude: there is no striving. There is no longing. There is no twitching when I consider my photos. There is only the story.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads