D&D General Familiars and Spiritual weapon, Turrets and Tentacles, some have HP some do not, why?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I have jumped over and through a campfire, you know, it's not that hot. It would of course burn me if I stayed in the fire, but it did not prevent my passing through without damage.

A campfire is not so hot that standing within five feet of it does enough damage to kill an average human in six seconds, and having it bump into you does twice that.

(Edit: If you follow my inconsistent use of negatives).

Lyxen

Great Old One
A campfire is not so hot that standing within five feet of it does enough damage to kill an average human in six seconds, and having it bump into you does twice that.

Actually, a simple cantrip creating a fire is enough heat to do almost as much damage as the sphere, and I won't put you to the test of standing in a real campfire for 6 seconds just to see whether you live. But my friend in the UK, for Guy Fawkes' day, creates bonfires that you can't stand to be nearer than 5 meters.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Actually, a simple cantrip creating a fire is enough heat to do almost as much damage as the sphere, and I won't put you to the test of standing in a real campfire for 6 seconds just to see whether you live. But my friend in the UK, for Guy Fawkes' day, creates bonfires that you can't stand to be nearer than 5 meters.
Right. I'm saying jumping over a campfire is not the same as being in the effect of a spell. Clearly getting hit with a cantrip is more fire than jumping over a campfire. As is standing near a flaming sphere, far or less moving through it. It's likely more akin to your buddy's bonfire than the campfire you jumped through over.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Right. I'm saying jumping over a campfire is not the same as being in the effect of a spell. Clearly getting hit with a cantrip is more fire than jumping over a campfire. As is standing near a flaming sphere, far or less moving through it. It's likely more akin to your buddy's bonfire than the campfire you jumped through over.

I did that a number of times, sometimes with fires which were not that small (but not my friend's bonfires, for sure, you could not even get close). My point was that you can have fire and head enough to burn, but still move through it, it does not have to be solid.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I did that a number of times, sometimes with fires which were not that small (but not my friend's bonfires, for sure, you could not even get close). My point was that you can have fire and head enough to burn, but still move through it, it does not have to be solid.

I absolutely agree with you that it's easy enough to move through a fire - jump over a campfire; pass your finger through a candle flame, etc. BUT... a flaming sphere can kill an average human commoner just by standing within five feet of it for six seconds. But it's fine either way - if a DM wants to rule you can run through a flaming sphere, I'm not likely to argue (in particular if you have the HP to survive it).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There is the old science teacher trick of waiving your hand through the flame of the bunsen burner. Make sure it's set to the yellow safety flame, or you win a free trip to the hospital.

Moral: some flames are a lot hotter than others.

I found this post in another thread, and I don't know if it was meant for this one or not, but it seems like it belongs here either way.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I found this post in another thread, and I don't know if it was meant for this one or not, but it seems like it belongs here either way.

I completely agree there, still, there is a huge difference between leaving your finger in a flame (or passing your finger through a bunsen burner - which you should certainly not do) and being clothed for example (assuming your clothes don't catch fire of course). Let's leave it at that, a flaming sphere is definitely hotter than a camp fire, but it's "only" fire and you should be able to move through it.

Remove ads