D&D 5E Fantasy Grounds Previews of Tasha's Cauldron

Ahead of the November 17th release date, the product page for Tasha's Cauldron of Everything has several previews on the Fantasy Grounds website. The previews include the origins customization section, group patrons, sidekicks, and a look at the alternate class features for the ranger Beast Master.

Ahead of the November 17th release date, the product page for Tasha's Cauldron of Everything has several previews on the Fantasy Grounds website. The previews include the origins customization section, group patrons, sidekicks, and a look at the alternate class features for the ranger Beast Master.

ScreenOne.jpg
ScreenTwo.jpg
ScreenThree.jpg
ScreenFour.jpg
ScreenFive.jpg
ScreenSix.jpg

Remathilis

Legend
In the current D&D game, there are three subclassess that have some form of restriction on taking them: Battlerager (dwarf only), bladesinger (elf only) and Purple Dragon Knight (must be from Cormyr). All came from SCAG (the first supplement to provide additional options), and no other subclasses have had such restrictions since (including the Arcane Archer, who in 3e was... Elf only).

It's pretty clear WotC considers racial or other restrictions on subclassess a faux-pas, and regrets adding them to the SCAG classes. I always assumed if those subs got reprinted, that would be the first thing to go.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm also mostly over FR fluff these days.
Yep. And even mechanically I would have preferred had they made the subclass to be a bit more generic fighty wizard rather than being based on a very specific FR concept.
Bladesingers started as setting neutral, just because the Realms devoured it (like it does everything else) is no reason to hold it against the poor bladesinger. 😥😥😅😥😥

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Bladesingers started as setting neutral, just because the Realms devoured it (like it does everything else) is no reason to hold it against the poor bladesinger. 😥😥😅😥😥
True, but they also started as very, very OP.

So, I guess this newest tweak is returning them to their roots.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
True, but they also started as very, very OP.

So, I guess this newest tweak is returning them to their roots.
Yeah. While the Complete Book of Elves had some tasty ideas, the mechanics were a bit "out of whack" to put it diplomatically. Whether this newest version is OP, I'll withhold judgement until I can see it for myself.

Aaron L

Hero
Really, lore-wise if half-elves could be Bladesingers, it could only have been a short time until others learned it. Exiles and unwanted wanderers with a forbidden skill set sort of only ends one way.
I think it was a huge mistake to even allow Half-Elves to suddenly be Bladesingers (which was very explicitly not allowed in the original idea.) :(

I do not like huge retcons like this.

I'm not trying to dictate to others what to allow at their table; unfortunately, this alteration is trying to dictate to me what to allow at my table. This change just grosses me out. And I see it as something that the Elves would be absolutely furious about as a violation of something held sacred in their culture... and rightfully so.

Seriously, the Bladesong was even called out in Mordenkainen's Tome as being a specially and uniquely Elven mystical martial art. Now it's just something that anyone can pick up, and that robs it of so much of its mystique it is revolting.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think it was a huge mistake to even allow Half-Elves to suddenly be Bladesingers (which was very explicitly not allowed in the original idea.) :(

I'm not trying to dictate to others what to allow at their table; unfortunately, this alteration is trying to dictate to me what to allow at my table. This change just grosses me out. And I see it as something that the Elves would be absolutely furious about as a violation of something held sacred in their culture... and rightfully so.

Seriously, the Bladesong was even called out in Mordenkainen's Tome as being a specially and uniquely Elven mystical martial art. Now it's just something that anyone can pick up, and that robs it of so much of its mystique it is revolting.
It is genuinely unsettling how seriously you are taking this. I’m not trying to be mean, it’s just...off-putting. The elves aren’t real. Bladesingers aren’t real.

You can still restrict them to elves only if you want to. For everyone else, the subclass is a mechanic that can represent any number of things in the fiction.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

But, you're forgetting the fact that elves aren't real, bladesingers aren't real, and no one is getting offended because WotC is allowing me to let Githyanki or Gnomes create and practice bladesinging, instead of elves. Maybe in your world the elves would be furious if someone of a different race was practicing bladesinging, but not in mine.

Remathilis

Legend

Question: do you allow dwarves to be wizards or elves to be paladins?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
It is genuinely unsettling how seriously you are taking this. I’m not trying to be mean, it’s just...off-putting. The elves aren’t real. Bladesingers aren’t real.

You can still restrict them to elves only if you want to. For everyone else, the subclass is a mechanic that can represent any number of things in the fiction.
Respectfully, I keep hearing that message get repeated. What’s the big deal? Why don’t you like the changes I like?

Ironically, this often comes from a person who says the change was “necessary and inevitable.”

people like and value different things. I know I am going to keep playing D&D and having fun regardless but am amazed at these discussions.

it is not differing opinions that floor me but the inability to see another perspective.

I don’t like the race changes personally. But I can sure see why they appeal to some.

Remove ads

Remove ads