• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Gun Control

That is because guns aren't current. I'm sure if we were playing D&D in the middle ages or swords were a mass production item today people would be discussing various types of sword manufacturers and the advantages of each.

True. They'd know too much.

I am around a group of Arthurian reenactors

They seem a lot less common than gun experts today, though (for obvious reasons). The nearest thing to an expert I had in a campaign is someone who practices with foam weapons, and fortunately did not try to apply his acquired "knowledge" to campaign rules.

and they spend a lot of time discussing the merits of one type of sword vs. another (just look at longsword vs. katana arguments, or watch anime when they talk about certain craftsmen).

Unlike western swords, people know just enough (mis)information about katanas to make those debates possible. Ignoring the "katanas can cut through a tank" nonsense, the amount of knowledge available about them is far less than knowledge about guns.

And on a personal note, if someone wants axes to be better than swords in some way (bonuses versus armor, whatever) seems to me the proper thing to do is make a feat. 4e does this, although not all that well; there are specific axe and hammer feats, for instance, but they just deal bonus damage. Still, axes aren't better than swords by themselves (unlike, say, in d20 Modern, where a rifle is flat-out better than a shotgun).

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I've been around Axe vs. Sword arguments, well it was more a technical debate. But yeah.

As for guns I just stick with the simple semi-historical guns from 2nd edition (with a few additions):

Arquebus 1d10, 19-20/x3, 30 ft.
Caliver 1d8, 19-20/x3, 25 ft. (Useable on Horseback without penalty)
Musket 1d12, 19-20/x3, 40 ft. (requires mounting pole)
Belt Pistol 1d10, x3, 20 ft.
Horse Pistol 1d8, x3, 15 ft. (useable on Horseback without penalty)
Dueling Pistol 1d4, 18-20/x3, 15 ft. (Starwheel)
Blunderbus 1d12, x2, 15 ft. (no range penalties but -1 to damage per range increment)
Blunderbus pistol 1d10, x2, 5 ft. (no range penalties but -1 damage per range increment)
Flame Pistol 1d6, no crit, 10 ft. (fire damage)

All guns are a full-round action to load and a full-round action to aim and fire.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Red Steel was an interesting Mystara campaign setting, which brought together red steel, a kind of black powder for guns and the red curse - all linked together in a vaguely rennaisance feeling setting.

Personally I'd never include guns in a fantasy setting unless I specifically wanted them for some reason - so it depends upon the milieu I want the campaign to represent. I'd resist the temptation to try to be really detailed about it though (after all, we tend to forget what a tremendous abstraction even melee weapons and bows etc face in D&D!).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I once had players ask to have guns in 2E. I said I would allow it, albeit with two conditions:

1. They didn't do more damage than arrows at the same range;
2. A roll of a natural 1 on an attack caused the gun to explode and do double damage to them with a possibility of a "wound" (we were on a targetted wound kick for a few months).

They all decided to not use guns.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I once had players ask to have guns in 2E. I said I would allow it, albeit with two conditions:

1. They didn't do more damage than arrows at the same range;
2. A roll of a natural 1 on an attack caused the gun to explode and do double damage to them with a possibility of a "wound" (we were on a targetted wound kick for a few months).

They all decided to not use guns.
By this anecdote, you have compromised your Internet-granted anonymity: I now know you have never DMed for me. That narrows your identity to one of only 6,852,472,807 people.

I'M ONTO YOU!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads