Favored Classes - Use them?

jerichothebard

First Post
This came up on another board, and I thought I would get the opinions of the community here.

I initially intended to use the favored class/multiclassing rules as written, and enforce the XP penalty for unbalanced multiclassing. I also thought that I would never actually have to deal with it...

Of the five characters in my game, there are two humans, a half-elf, and two elves. Both humans and the half-elf have multiclassed, but only with two classes each. Which wouldn't be an issue with or without it. One elf is a ranger, which is elf's favored class in my game. (I outlawed arcane magic, so wizards are not allowable PC classes. Right now, at least. Elf favored class is ranger, gnome is cleric.) So it looked to be a non-issue, since everyone is really looking towards prestige classes anyway, which are exempt from the multiclassing penalty.

Well, it turns out, I wasn't quite right about that. The fifth, who I thought was a pretty dedicated long-haul monk, just threw a monkey wrench into the works and is making me actually think about it.

Here's the expanded situation:

No wizards allowed, sorcerers very frowned upon (cultural/legal limitiations).

Lots of undead baddies running around.

5th level elven Monk character has had several bad experiences with undead - in fact, usually the same one, a 'lich spawn' sorcerer that keeps coming back to plague the party. (lich spawn is a monster that I sorta created a while ago - like vampire spawn is to vampire, it is essentially a low-powered lich. The PC's are wandering around with its phylactery in their saddlebags right now, and I am not sure whether they know it or remember it. They will soon, though )

Thusly, it came up in casual conversation this weekend that he is interested in taking Hunter of the Dead as a prestige class, which has as a requirement the ability to turn undead.

Paladins and Monks do not get along (another cultural thing - Same god, radically different philosophies) and the player has taken this to heart and run with it, making up back story on his own and convincing the party currently to run from the paladin authorities and seek sanctuary in a monk monastary out of town. (They got in trouble, but that is another story...)

Thus, he would need to take a level of cleric. (no problem qualifying, he has that monk WIS)

Which will, of course, invoke the penalty, as neither cleric nor monk is his favored class. And, it would most likely be invoked indefinitely, as I do not forsee him taking four levels of cleric to balance his classes before taking Hunter of the Dead.

Generally, I think sticking to my guns about the rules is a good thing, and I did tell them the multi-classing penalty would be enforced, right at the beginning of the campaign.

There are a few things that make me hesitate, however.

1) We only play about once every few months. I am a grad student and really busy trying to finish my thesis project. So I want them to have a good time when we can make it happen. Hopefully in the future we can make more time for it, but within our group, there are several players (and the DM) who may be daddies in the next year or two (or, in the case of two of our players, mommy AND daddy), so who knows.

2) All my players are pretty much newbies. A couple played a little in High School, but not a lot and long ago (first ed, I believe). So, they didn't know the rules that well when we started, and I imagine that the concept of "10% XP penalty for unbalanced multi-class non-favored character levels" probably went right over their heads.

3) I didn't really inform them up front that the campaign would be undead-heavy, or at least not to the extent that it has been. (I did suggest quietly to one of the rangers that undead might be a good starting favored enemy, but that is all, I think.) The monk character in particular has grown to be worried about the proliferation of undead - as a player, he is really taking it seriously and his character is growing in interesting and extra XP-generating ways. So penalizing him for taking a level of cleric would be, essentially, penalizing his growth as a character - which is the exact opposite of what I want to do.

4) I have removed player access to the primary source of firepower in the game, and not slacked off really at all in terms of the challenges they face - including evil arcane spellcasters. (Say what you like about clerics and druids, most of them still don't get meteor swarm - even spells like identify are harder to come by).

5) Given the nature of the society, I have already ruled that both Paladins and Monks may take levels of cleric without being exiled from their orders (a limitied negation of "can't leave and return policy") - the clerics act as peacemakers between to other two rival factions.

It is really the last three points which have made me consider changing the rules.

There are two ways I see of doing it:

Option 1) Make clerics an "open-door" exception to the rule.

Since I have already decided that there is extra access to the cleric class, it seems a logical extension of that ruling to allow cleric levels to bypass the XP penalty - essentially making cleric everybody's favored class.

(As a side note, they really could use someone else who can turn undead, as the cleric 3/bard 2 character has thus far only managed to do it successfully once. You'd think with a CHA of 17, and Sun as a domain, that he could manage, but it is a never ending streak of 3's and 4's on the d20.. *sigh*)

If I go this route, what do I do with gnomes? When I gave wizard the ol' axe, I ruled that cleric was the gnome favored class (elf got ranger). If I do rule that everyone gets cleric as a 'favored class' then I have screwed gnomes twice!

Option 2) Just dump the whole favored class notion entirely - with two humans and a 1/2 elf, and an elf in her favored class already, and everyone starting to look towards PrC's, the multi-classing penalty will basically ONLY ever penalize this one character. (A corallary to this notes that if I go with option 1, and someone else multiclasses in a way to invoke the penalty, then THEY are the only ones being penalized - a big point in favor of option 2).

Thoughts?

Destil

Explorer
Personaly, I like the flavor of favored classes, but hate the rule. Classes are abstract in 3E, and the favored class rules are just a throwback to encouarge older 1E and 2E style multiclass combos via completly unfair penelties for anyone who dosn't conform to these archtypes. Likewise with Prcs ignoring these restrictoions things just get stupid later on (if he wanted to increase his BAB and HD, for instance, he could take a fighter type PRC without worrying about a penelity).

I vote for #2, myself.

My own rule: when your favored multiclass is your highest level class you get a 5% XP bonus.

Drawmack

First Post
In all honesty I completely dropped the multiclassing xp penalties from my game and replaced them by saying GM must approve multiclassing to avoid abuses.

I did this for a number of reasons.

First, the favored class does not make any sense. So your gnome favored class is illusionist (or cleric or whatever) so when I stumble into a gnome city a majority of the inhabitants should be illusionists, but this doesn't make any sense.

Second, I don't like enforcing xp restrictions on people. It is super metagame and if it makes sense for the character to want to pick up a different class and they do the research why should they be penalized?

Third, One of the greatest things about 3e is the flexibility of the classes and the falxibility with multiclassing. No racial multiclass or level limit restrictions. I really liked that and these rules seemed to be an attempt to enforce some sort of archaic version of those rules back into the game.

Fourth, the rules seemed to be an after thought. Almost likst some bitchy playtesting GMs didn't like the aforementioned rules being dropped and so these were added.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Personally, given all the circumstances you have listed, I would allow the Monk to freely multiclass with Cleric. It all really depends on the racial differences in your world though. How common is it for an elf to join this Religion? To join the Monk sect?
If it is not uncommon? Drop the XP penalty. If it IS uncommon - make him stick to the XP penalty. If nothing else, it IS fitting for the character development, and that, to me, is THE most important factor. I would say that developing such a good character and focusing on its natural development is more than enough to counter (and throw out) the 10% XP penalty in THIS case. I would NOT go across the board. Another argument for this, is that the Monk in your world is actually a Religious sect, similar to the Monk's of the Forgotten Realms. It makes perfect sense that the Monks (and Paladins) can freely multiclass with Cleric in your world as they are a part of the same hierarchy.

On a side note... Which version of Hunter of the Dead are you using?? Defenders of the Faith? If so, check out the Hunter of the Dead from Dragon 276 (the original version).

REQUIREMENTS:
To qualify to become a Hunter of a Dead, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Alignment: Any Non-Evil
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills (Required Ranks): Knowledge (Undead) (5)
Feats: Weapon Focus in a Bludgeoning Weapon
Special: Encounter with an intelligent undead enemy.

There are also other steps that could be taken. There are items the monk can use that will allow them to be effective against undead (if you have magic items in the game).

Hope the comments help some.

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
Assuming the other players didn't choose their races based on access to favored classes (or human versatility in that regard) -- and it doesn't sound like they did -- I think you've presented more than enough reasons to just drop the rule entirely, or at least alter it.

Personally, given the nature of your world (heavy on the undead, no wizards) I'd go with option one -- make clerics an exception to the favored class rule. It makes perfect sense based on the background, and it affects the one character who needs the change the most. If one of the other PCs also multis into cleric, I can't see how that would present any problems.

As for what to do about gnomes in that case, I'd say don't worry about it for the time being. No one is playing a gnome, and it doesn't sound likely that anyone will put you on the spot about that (relatively minor) issue.

I agree with others that you should let the penalty slide in this case, especially considering the other info about how you're changing the favored classes in general. I would recommend asking the other players how they felt about it beforehand, however, to make sure you don't piss off someone else who designed a chararcter a certain way because they didn't want to face the penalties.

If, for whatever reason, you decide to keep the penalties in, there are other options you can give the monk:

1. If the only thing he needs from the cleric class is the ability to turn undead, you could make a pseudo-class feat that would allow him to do so.

2. Try and find a PrC that gives the turning ability that he does qualify for. I don't know if they're are any for monks off the top of my head, but it doesn't seem like too farfetched of an idea. If you can't find one, make one up. Then, have him take one level in that PrC. (this one's probably the most munchkin-like, if you worry about that sort of thing)

3. Just let him enter the PrC without the prerequisite, or change the prereq to something else (possible a monk ability). Use his background story as grounds to let him get around it.

SylverFlame

First Post
Personally, I say nix the XP rule. When I DM'd 2e I axed the level limits for the same reason as this. They don't make sense.

However, you have to recognize your players and that you stated in the first place that you'd enforce the rule. Send them an email outlining your intent and see what they think. Chances are, if you explain yourself as you have here, they'll agree to whatever you propose.

If you only get rid of the penalty for clerics, then gnomes will have a problem. Here's what I intend to do with gnomes IMC: At first level a gnome character chooses any single class. That class is now the favoured class of the character and may not be altered.

I know I said I was going to nix the XP rule, but I'm keeping the favoured classes for now. I'm thinking of using the mechanic in a new way...

LeifVignirsson

First Post
IMC I agree with you guys. The place where we are at now and will be for a while is heavily elven and all subraces (THANK YOU, RACES OF FAERUN!), but that doesn't mean that there are other races. If my players were to ever want to play as these races, I would allow them to not experience the penalty.

HOWEVER, I can say that I am also playing in a campaign where the DM enforces the penalty and I can see why he does. He has a more deverse world where mindsets are cast in stone. To have a branch of humans break away from that mindset is blasphemy. Of course, we all have been doing this for years and I can see the throwback to 2E, but it hasn't affected me so far (Dragon Disciple/Rogue/Sorceror/Fighter - 5/2/2/2... Don't ask, I had no idea what I was thinking at the time.).

I guess all I am really saying is that it, like many other rules, are a point of preference more than cast in stone. If you don't particularly like the rule, then you can alter it. I think that is something that everyone seems to overlook.

And before I go, I have to rebut something Drawback said...

"First, the favored class does not make any sense. So your gnome favored class is illusionist (or cleric or whatever) so when I stumble into a gnome city a majority of the inhabitants should be illusionists, but this doesn't make any sense."

It isn't the majority of inhabitants (though most of them would be inclined that direction), it is a majority of ADVENTERERS that would be Illusionists. The regular, mundane (yawn) gnomes would be peasents and the like. Same with Elves and wizard favored... Just an observation, I always enjoy reading the posts my friend, you have alot of insight.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Is this Monk only considering taking a level of Cleric to qualify for the Hunter of the Dead PrC? If so, perhaps consider selling the ability to Turn Undead at *Character* level as a special ability which costs a Feat, a Quest and some XP (one-time cost, but a high cost -- 2,000 or so).

-- Nifft

Remove ads