• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favored Enemy & Rays

daemonslye

First Post
quick point of clarification:

1. a ranger/wizard casts a scorching ray at a favored enemy - Does he get the bonus damage? for each ray?
2. a ranger/wizard casts a magic missile at a favored enemy - Does he get the bonus damage? for each missile?
3. a ranger/wizard casts a lightning bolt at a favored enemy - Does he get the bonus damage?

Just let me know where this is clarified if you remember it.

Thanks;

~D

My interpretation would be...

1. Yes. There's a to-hit roll involved, which means the r/w can target the weak spots. Just as you can crit with a ray, you should also gain your favored enemy bonus damage for the ray. As to whether it applies to each ray, I'd say it does if each ray requires its own to-hit roll. If the spell only requires one, then only the first ray gains the damage.

2. No. There's no roll to hit, and the missiles target the creature, not a specific part of the creature. The r/w cannot target specific points.

2. No. It's an area effect, and thus cannot be precisely targeted at a specific point of a specific critter.

Scharlata

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
My interpretation would be...

1. Yes. There's a to-hit roll involved, which means the r/w can target the weak spots. Just as you can crit with a ray, you should also gain your favored enemy bonus damage for the ray. As to whether it applies to each ray, I'd say it does if each ray requires its own to-hit roll. If the spell only requires one, then only the first ray gains the damage.

2. No. There's no roll to hit, and the missiles target the creature, not a specific part of the creature. The r/w cannot target specific points.

2. No. It's an area effect, and thus cannot be precisely targeted at a specific point of a specific critter.

Hi!
Supporting Mouseferatu in all three points of view.
Kind regards

Remove ads