D&D 5E Favorite 5e OGL Products

Voadam

Legend
So with all the OGL news it is probably an apt time to reflect on what you feel are some of the best 5e OGL stuff you use or have and really like.

For me Kobold Press has been a big one.

I have used a lot of stuff from two of their monster books Creature Codex and Tome of Beasts in my 5e games. I think I have used about as many monsters from these each as from the core MM. They provide fun options, good lore to latch onto, and are easy to reskin for niches not covered by the MM stock stuff. I run a 5e conversion of the Pathfinder Iron Gods sci-fi D&D adventure path, so having reskin options that are mechanically different from the MM stuff has been great.

I am a fan of their Midgard World Setting for their dark fantasy setting and their Southlands World Book for the Fantasy Africa/Egypt part, I am looking forward to the fantasy Asia World book. I have been a fan since the 3.5 Pathfinder times of the setting and have a lot of the little regional sourcebooks as well. I have incorporated parts into my mashup homebrew, particularly running with the "Gnomes are running from Baba Yaga" storyline. Meaning the whole race are fleeing her vendetta after a gnomish prince wronged her. It worked great when I was running the old Reign of Winter Adventure Path that involves Baba Yaga heavily.

I have not run their modules, but they look like fun from the skims I have read of Tales of the Old Margreve (dark fairy tale type forest adventures) and the Empire of the Ghouls (undead setting area).

So what 5e OGL stuff has been of great value to your games, what 5e OGL stuff do you really like?

Libertad

Hero
Kobold Press has already been mentioned, but I'd like to second their work. I've frequently used their Tomes of Beasts and Creature Codex to great effect in my games throughout the years.

Monster Manual Expanded are also useful bestiaries, making more versions of existing monsters for multiple tiers of play.

Spheres of Might and Spheres of Power are good alternate system of martial techniques and magic that allows for a more open process of character creation and development.

It has its own free Wiki, too.

Call to Arms: the Warlord is a pretty faithful conversion (or at least what I heard) of the 4e Warlord to 5th Edition. Designed by Robert Schwalb, who had his hand on working on D&D in an official capacity too.

Beowulf: Age of Heroes takes the 5e system and makes a well-tested avenue for 1 on 1 games in an historical fantasy world of Early Medieval Northern Europe.

Brancalonia is a charming setting in an Italian-inspired fantasy setting where the PCs are lovable rogues engaging in low life missions and hijinks.

Uncharted Journeys greatly expands the exploration pillar of 5th Edition into an involved system with frequent reusability at the table. Haven't had time to test it out in actual play, but it looks promising.

Wanderer's Guide to Merchants & Magic gives sample magic item shops, their proprietors, and related quests. There's also prices for official (and new) magic items in 5th Edition D&D, something that's in demand in quite a few circles.

Voadam

Legend
Kobold Press has already been mentioned, but I'd like to second their work. I've frequently used their Tomes of Beasts and Creature Codex to great effect in my games throughout the years.

Monster Manual Expanded are also useful bestiaries, making more versions of existing monsters for multiple tiers of play.

Spheres of Might and Spheres of Power are good alternate system of martial techniques and magic that allows for a more open process of character creation and development.

It has its own free Wiki, too.

Call to Arms: the Warlord is a pretty faithful conversion (or at least what I heard) of the 4e Warlord to 5th Edition. Designed by Robert Schwalb, who had his hand on working on D&D in an official capacity too.

Beowulf: Age of Heroes takes the 5e system and makes a well-tested avenue for 1 on 1 games in an historical fantasy world of Early Medieval Northern Europe.

Brancalonia is a charming setting in an Italian-inspired fantasy setting where the PCs are lovable rogues engaging in low life missions and hijinks.

Uncharted Journeys greatly expands the exploration pillar of 5th Edition into an involved system with frequent reusability at the table. Haven't had time to test it out in actual play, but it looks promising.

Wanderer's Guide to Merchants & Magic gives sample magic item shops, their proprietors, and related quests. There's also prices for official (and new) magic items in 5th Edition D&D, something that's in demand in quite a few circles.
I've been intrigued and tempted by the spheres stuff, I did not know there was a wiki. Thanks.

Just FYI while I like the MM Expanded stuff too they are DMs Guild and not OGL. :)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I really enjoy Andrew Kolb's sandbox setting books, Neverland and Oz. They're both excellently laid out and beautifully illustrated. Their flexible take on the rules makes these books "5e-ish" rather than pure 5e, and is a point that is especially appealing to me.

And though I haven't yet played it, I dig @Sacrosanct's simplified 5e system, Bugbears & Borderlands. His Twilight Fables bestiary is also a lot of fun (and comes in a OSR flavor, too, iirc).

Splinterverse

Explorer
Publisher
There are so many great OGL 5E releases. I've enjoyed a lot of Kobold Press' stuff as well as that of Ghostfire Gaming. I also like the Beowulf series from Handiwork Games; it's a great option for dual play.

I cover lots of great D&D 5E OGL releases each week on my YouTube series (latest episode here).

We've released two OGL books of our own. They were among my favorite to make:

Potions Unlocked
Swarms of the Multiverse

If the leaks are true, it will definitely impact what Splinterverse Media does moving forward. We were actually in the midst of preparing a Kickstarter when the leaks were released.

I hope WotC reverses course (if the leaks are true).

Remove ads