Favorite and Least Favorite 4th Edition Elements

Aristotle

First Post
Favorite: A rebalanced series of character classes where everyone has options and cool stuff they can do regardless of class or how many encounters they've faced that day.

Least Favorite: Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, and the looming possibility of Drow as the last race. Way to much elf. Half-races AND sub-races should've been handled by some sort of template system in the DMG or as monster manual entries with play options. Give me unique races as core choices and leave the 31 flavors of any given race as options via the DMG or MM.

BadMojo

First Post
Favorite: talent trees, streamlined grapple rules, goodbye Gnome - nobody I know ever played you on purpose, action points

Not So Favorite: warlord (the class itself and the name), still not sold on per encounter abilities for every class, underwhelmed by Gleemax/Insider

Ahnehnois

First Post
Favorite: Racial benefits incorporated into class benefits. Being a fan of substitution levels, I think this simply amounts to standardizing them and making them an assumed part of the system.

Least Favorite: Fighters having abilities that are limited either by encounter or per day. This really breaks down one of the fundamental assumptions of D&D (Casters wear out but Fighters go on like the Energizer Bunny). And not in a good way.

Favorite: I guess that would be shift to the per/encounter balance paradigm. :)

Least Favorite: Classes I loved and I liked will not make it into the first Core rulebooks. :(

Darkwolf71

First Post
Favorite: Points of Light. I've long been a fan of Citystate of the Invincible Overlord and Wilderlands of High Fantasy. I very much like the direction the flavor seems to be going.

Least Favorite: Hard to say. There are a lot of little things which bug me. And other things that I have yet to make a decision about. I guess if I had to pick one at this point, I'd say the appearant over use of at will/ per encounter/ per day abilities.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
CleverNickName said:
1. what is the one thing that you like most about 4E? and
The de-emphasis on Vancian casting.
CleverNickName said:
2. what is the one thing that you like least about 4E?
I haven't heard enough about certain things to know if I truly dislike anything. I was quite concerned over monster design, so I'll probably put that down. I liked 3E's idea that there was no different between building a monster and a PC, but I'm starting to change my mind on that in some respects.

I'm sure there will be something I'll dislike on a conceptual level but can live with in game play. Vancian casting is in a similar boat. I detest the very concept but it's not a deal killer for me over-all. In other words, I still play D&D. I'd have more fun if it were totally eliminated, though.

Fav: streamlining extra combat bits (AoO, grappling, disarm, etc) and making the game fun for all levels- so called sweet spot.
Least: Not going far enough to drop some sacred cows: HP: why not wound and HP; AC: why not defense and DR; Abilities et al: CHA and WIS= 2 attributes that can be used for mental strength, WIS= being used for perception (I am wise therefore have good eyesight!), STR for attack bonus, INT for a PC reasoning (rather than just the characters ability to learn skills and remember things)....A complete overhaul of a lot of sacred cows would be great

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases