• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite and Least Favorite 4th Edition Elements

Moon-Lancer

First Post
I like that races do more to differentiate two pcs of the same class.

I don't like that the druid will likely not be in the phb, along with the monk and bard. I mean I REALLY don't like that.

I don't like that all the successive phbs and dmgs are "core" but they will make up for it if they are also put into the srd.

Robert Ranting

First Post
My favorite thing about Fourth Edition so far: Simplified monsters and encounters that make the game easier for the DM to run. If I can throw together a random encounter as quickly as James Wyatt did during the D&D podcast a while back, and have it actually play out well, then they will have succeeded in making my job as the DM not only easier, but more fun.

My least favorite thing about Fourth Edition so far: The idea of character "roles" that they should try and fulfill in a standard adventuring party. This always bugged me in previous editions, and now it is being emphasized.

My favorite D&D characters have been a Fighter/Rogue who focused on social skills and out-of-combat chicanery, and a Gnome Druid who could switch from wildshaped scouting to mounted combat to battlefield control magic to healer depending on what the party needed at the time. I've tried playing pure Fighters or Spellcasters, but I tend to get bored with doing one thing very well every combat. I prefer to play in or DM for parties where everyone is a bit more well-rounded, where roles can be shared and shifted depending on what the party needs in a given encounter. Ideally, instead of having one defender, one striker, one controller, and one leader, any given character in a party should be able to fulfill at least two, possibly three of these roles, should the need arise.

Robert "The Fifth Man" Ranting

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
FAVOURITE: The designers finally growing the nads to ditch the antiquated, overpowered, cut & paste form previous editions, Gygaxian magic system!

LEAST FAVOURITE: DDI.

FireLance

Legend
Favorite: Per encounter balancing and all classes getting per day, per encounter and at will abilities.

Least favorite: Apparent lack of options for light-flavored warlocks in the core rules.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Best - reduced prep time. This is likely to help me want to run games as it's one of my major problems with running games right now.

Worst - nothing I've heard yet has really put me off. Although I have to admit that the Warlord/ Warlock name thing is a little irritating.

erf_beto

First Post
Good: streamlined game mechanics, easy to run monsters, less prep time for DMs. (did you see the new stat block?!? :D )

Bad: the fear. :uhoh:

The fear that it is too demonic (half demon races, demonic classes, demons and devils for opponents - what does the second 'D' stands for in DnD?);
The fear that it is a flashy superhero game (all that 'anime' talk - and don't get me wrong, I like anime);
The fear that DDI and Gleemax become somehow 'necessary' for play (even though they say it wont :uhoh: );
The fear that everything is related to hp ("I do a war cry to intimidate him", "ok, he loses 3d6 hp" :confused: );
The fear that per encounter/day powers seem too much like vancian magic ("I'm sorry Bob, you've used up all your power attacks for the encounter, but you can still use cleave 4 times a day" "what the!?!":confused: ).
The fear that everything is about combat and that these roles dictate how you should play the class (if I want a pacifist wizard college professor, I want a replacement for 'wizard strike');
The fear that powers make the game more complex for every class (It was easy playing a fighter, wizards weren't - they used to say spellcasters were for 'advanced' players; I like options, but begginers will find it hard to decide between 13 abilities they don't know well);
The fear that PHB7 becomes core, but not SRD material;
The fear that there won't be an SRD;
and the fear that these and other assumptions are true. :\

We just don't know enough about these 'cool' changes they are doing. They keep saying how they fixed everything that didn't work, but don't show us anything significant. We can only wonder... and fear.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Favorite: at will, per encounter and per day abilities for every class.

Least Favorite: since I can't chose between the lack of the Druid in the PHB or High Elves being replaced with Eladrin, I'll just mention both. :p

Driddle

First Post
When I was a kid, my own hungry anticipation and every TV commercial made new toys look so uber-cool that I couldn't even possibly imagine they wouldn't deliver what was promised.

I'll wait for a while to declare what I'm loving about new D&D.

Remove ads