• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite book in Tom Clancy's Ryanverse.

Favorite Ryanverse novel

• The Hunt for Red October

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Patriot Games

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • The Cardinal of the Kremlin

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Clear and Present Danger

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • The Sum of All Fears

• Without Remorse

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Debt of Honor

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Executive Orders

• Rainbow Six

• The Bear and the Dragon

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Red Rabbit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teeth of the Tiger

Votes: 0 0.0%

DM_Matt

First Post
KenM said:
Major Spoiler:

I thought with all those important US goverment people in one place, once the plane got picked up on radar and they new where it was headed and what it was going to do, they would have tryed something. But they did'nt.

I had a long-running debate with a friend aobut wether that could happen. I never had the heart to say "I told you so," though. Do you realize how hard politically it would be for the US gov to shoot down a civilian airplane?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I picked up Rainbow Six and didn't bother finishing it. I was hoping for soemthing that showed how Special Ops teams work---and I got that--but the writing style was like, grade 6 level. Character development was less than nothing (all of the characters were stone cold badasses right from the get-go (almost interchangably) and had not been fleshed out in the slightest by about the halfway point.

It was, despite being some 800 pages long, a remarkably shallow book.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Given the choice, I'd've voted for Red Storm Rising, too. Instead, Debot of Honor was pretty cool.

I absolutely LOATHED Teeth of the Tiger, though, mostly because it ends by hitting a brick wall, like he stopped writing. Oy.

Plus, I thought the characterization of Ryan was off, from what you see of him in the background.

Brad

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Another vote here for Red Storm Rising - definitely my favorite Clancy novel. My favorite "Ryanverse" book would be The Hunt for Red October.

johnsemlak

First Post
I liked the Sum of All Fears.

I thought Debt of Honor was a good read but it represented a decline in Clancy for me.

Executive Orders made me decide never to read Clancy again.

I won't get into the reasons why, except this: If we take the Ryanverse seriously, how old is Clark in the later books? Uh, why is he still on the field acting like some uber-James Bond?

buzzard

First Post
johnsemlak said:
I won't get into the reasons why, except this: If we take the Ryanverse seriously, how old is Clark in the later books? Uh, why is he still on the field acting like some uber-James Bond?

Well in Rainbow Six a fair amount of time is spent on his realization that he's getting to be an old man. A reasonable estimate would place him in his 50s or at worst 60s. That's not exactly over the hill.

buzzard

NeoSamurai

First Post
<spoilers>

Was said:
>I thought with all those important US goverment people in one place, once the plane got picked up on radar and they new where it was headed and what it was going to do, they would have tryed something. But they did'nt.

I say:

I thought they used some of the Stingers atop the White House to deal with it.

Dark Jezter

First Post
johnsemlak said:

By Rainbow Six, Clark is probably in his mid-50s, and now works as the leader of Rainbow (a NATO anti-terror team) rather than one of the actual team members. He still remains in good physical shape by following a military-like fitness regimen, though.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
Of the choices presented, I have to go with my first Clancy book: Hunt for Red October.

But as others have said, my all-time favorite is Red Storm Rising.

On a hill in Iceland:
"We safe, Sergeant?"
"Sure, Lieutenant, I haven't felt this safe since Beirut."

On a military plane headed to the US:
"The plane's crew had objected to the civilian until a two-star general of Marines explained to them over the radio that the Corps would take it as a personal matter..."

Now you've done it - gotta read this one again. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads