She started out as a throw away NPC quest giver in my 1st 5e campaign. I made her a 3rd lv, Fey patron, chainpact Warlock with a psuedo-dragon familiar.
She was 9 years old, almost 10. Her patron, an elderly pseudo-dragon she'd befriended (whom her familiar is based on) had only taught her utility magic at that point. (and to date he still refuses to teach a child
anything more dangerous than Magic Stone/Shilleliegh). Bree will never learn Eldritch Blast.
Wich is why she needed the PCs help. She couldn't fight
satyrs! But she also wasn't going to be left behind!
- So the party helped her on her quest to rescue her older sister, unfortunately things went sideways thanks to activating a combo magic item the party had gained via random rolls on a 1e chart (cause my games are full of chaos). They rolled both a Cubic Gate & a Wel of Many Worlds! I simply combined them into 1 item that was best described as a scrambled Rubics Cube....
- This dumped the PCs the two 1/2ling sisters & several other hostages onto a jungle island - where about a month of running from dinos, carnivorous plants, & cannibals took its toll. In the end only 2 PCs & the two 1/2lings finally escaped on a passing merchant ship.
- This ship in turn was attacked by pirates off the coast of what was later learned to have been Chult. During the attack, as the pirates boarded the boat & all manner of crazy ensuing, her older sister activated that magic item again - tearing the aft off of the merchant vessel & scattering everyone in range across planes(?).
- A week later I needed a character really quick for a Curse of Strahd campaign. All I had handy in the folder was Bree. So I dropped her to lv1 & she began exploring Barovia.... and as a happy coincidence one of the other guys rolled up a fighter with the Pirate background.
Eventually Bree escaped Barovia (with the SunSword hilt) by diving into a Bag of Holding & rupturing it from within trying to flee a vampire (not Strahd).
This really only worked because the campaign collapsed with a mostly TPK & most voted to play something else. 3 dead, one fleeing into the woods alone at night pursued, & Bree getting creative in avoiding the last vampire. Dm rolled a die. Low she'd be spat out somewhere in Barovia, High she'd be spat out.... Not in Barovia. Hey, anywhere's better than where she was at that moment. He rolled high.
- I then went onto briefly play her in several PbP games & then statted as a Summoner in a short lived PF campaign.
- She then made a cameo in the final scenes of our 5e Desert of Desolation campaign, was reunited with her sister who'd by now become a 5e Barbarian, & they were returned home by Martek.
- Her most recent sighting has been at the start of our current 5e campaign. She's back home where she started, acting as an NPC quest giver. This time entrusting the SunSword hilt to the adventures with instructions that they've got to return it to Barovia, or at least to the Vistani troupe who recently passed though the area (gives directions to find them).
She would go herself, but she's actually got something even more pressing to deal with now that she (and her sister) are home. That & she's grounded (probably for life) for running off on a year long adventure. She might be 10, almost 11, & 9th lv(!) - but she still answers to DAD.
But rest assured, Bree Burrfoot will return.